D2000 soldering temperature?
Jun 18, 2009 at 1:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Bonthouse

1000+ Head-Fier
So I recabled my Denon D2000 with some Cryoparts The Wire today and Markl modded it while I was at it.
Now I have a problem.. the right side gives more bass and more highs. It even occurs when the cups are not attached. It's only very slightly, but I think I messed up the voice coil by accident..
The soldering station was set at 330 degrees celsius the whole time, I used Cardas flux and WBT silver solder.
I heated the pads up for about 1 ~ 2 seconds each to solder/de-solder the wires, probably 6 times total, each time had at least 30 mins rest before I (re)soldered something on the pads.

I took a digital multimeter to it and the left side gives me 22.8 ohm, the right 23.9 ohm.

Did the temperature damage the voicecoil?

Jun 18, 2009 at 11:40 AM Post #2 of 11
Ah that sucks, Sam.
When you were using your DMM... Were you measuring the driver itself or the wire?

Jun 18, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #3 of 11
The driver pads. But good news! I took the filling out of the D200 earpads and the sound became pretty balanced again
smily_headphones1.gif

But the question remains, is 330 degrees celsius enough to damage drivers?

Jun 18, 2009 at 1:16 PM Post #4 of 11
330 c seems pretty acceptable. If I recall.. I don't have a dmm with me right now, but I think my d1k's left and right channel resistance differed by about 1 ohm as well.

Jun 18, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonthouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The driver pads. But good news! I took the filling out of the D200 earpads and the sound became pretty balanced again
smily_headphones1.gif

But the question remains, is 330 degrees celsius enough to damage drivers?

It's enough to damage drivers if you leave the iron on there long enough. Too long, you damage the voicecoil, too short you get a cold solder join. 330c should be fine. I use about 325c.

Jun 18, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #7 of 11
Like I said in my first post, I never let the iron touch the pad for longer than ~2 seconds.

Jun 18, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #8 of 11
cardas solder fusion point is 250C....why 330?

how does that wire sound then?
atsmile.gif

I don't know how the D2k looks inside, but you prolly didn't solder onto the driver...but more like on soldering "holders" I guess? from what I've seen the only problem excessive heat can create is killing the tiny voice coil wires, and when it's not right in place anymore it's a major pain to put it back
redface.gif

and 2"/330C doesn't tell the whole story, it also depends on how thick the soldering iron is IMO.

Jun 18, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #9 of 11
It's a Hakko 936 with the smallest tip available, using enought to form a nice round joint holding the wire.
But good news! I found out that it is my crappy soundcard not handeling the headphone correctly
smily_headphones1.gif

My Corda Move handles the sound perfectly with great detail, separation and overall musical pleasure!
Another life saved thanks to portable hi-fi
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back