d2000 crackling?
Oct 19, 2012 at 1:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

pickleweed

Head-Fier
hey guys, just bought a pair of d2000's of the forums, and all was well.  but ive been listening to them for the last week, and im beginning to pick up on some sort of crackling/scratching happening in the upper mids region.  it varies from track to track obviously, but its either showing up more, or im tuning into it more now.  i dont know if this is a source issue or a heaphone issue.  ive been using an e17 usb'd playing rdio.

some tracks ive noticed it in - 

lenka - the show
death cab - tranatlanticism
muse - uprising
coheed and cambria - welcome home

i can almost understand something guitar heavy, but the lenka song really throws me off.  and its the worst offender!

im hoping that its a source issue or some physical thing thats easily fixable vs simply having busted cans, as i really like the sound of them otherwise.

anyone have any experience with something similar?

Oct 19, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:
hey guys, just bought a pair of d2000's of the forums, and all was well.  but ive been listening to them for the last week, and im beginning to pick up on some sort of crackling/scratching happening in the upper mids region.  it varies from track to track obviously, but its either showing up more, or im tuning into it more now.  i dont know if this is a source issue or a heaphone issue.  ive been using an e17 usb'd playing rdio.

some tracks ive noticed it in - 

lenka - the show
death cab - tranatlanticism
muse - uprising
coheed and cambria - welcome home

i can almost understand something guitar heavy, but the lenka song really throws me off.  and its the worst offender!

im hoping that its a source issue or some physical thing thats easily fixable vs simply having busted cans, as i really like the sound of them otherwise.

anyone have any experience with something similar?

Are the tracks you noticed it on from CDs you own, or albums you personally ripped to your player?

If they are random downloads from online, you could just be noticing faults in them you didn't hear with your previous headphones. Try listening to the same songs but from a difference source and see if the fault persists.

Oct 19, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #4 of 10
thanks for the link.

so i tested them through the range, and there's no crackling.  so thats good.  i suppose that means it is the tracks then.  the noise didnt seem random, and was being reproduced each listen.  so that makes some sense.

i have a shure 840, but havent found the time to a/b them yet with the denons.

which gets me to this question - 

how bad is rdio's quality, or is it that the songs were just recorded like crap?  i ask because i cant imagine that they recorded that lenka song like that and thought, alright, thats good.  and even then, i wouldve imagined that bands like muse and coheed would have some well executed recordings :?

Oct 19, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:
Are the tracks you noticed it on from CDs you own, or albums you personally ripped to your player?

If they are random downloads from online, you could just be noticing faults in them you didn't hear with your previous headphones. Try listening to the same songs but from a difference source and see if the fault persists.

so far, ive only tried it with the e17 playing the rdio, and straight out of my iphone with some tracks that i probably downloaded but cant recall.  both had the scratching.  ill have to check better sources tonight when i get home.

Oct 19, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #6 of 10
I can also be a usb issue. I had the same problem pop up. I unplugged all usb devices and the crackling went away. I turned out to be an issue with the printer that was using usb. 

gL!!

Oct 19, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #7 of 10
I had crackling in my D600s. But then I realised its static from my synthetic blanket. Everytime I would move it would crackle in my left channel.

Oct 22, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
Isn't this just bad clipping in the tracks? 

it was.

here's the update:  i went home, listened to the flacs for the lenka track, without the e17 through my laptop at home.  still there.  listened through my 840's.  still there.  so that's that.  it was simply recorded like absolute trash.  i didnt listen to the other tracks, but id imagine the results would be similar.  so, at least i know my cans are in fine working order.  thanks everyone for the suggestions!

i dont know how that left a studio. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back