D1001 ... circumaural or not?
Feb 13, 2010 at 6:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Hanafuda

500+ Head-Fier
I'm about fed up with the feel of the ES7 .. for some reason my ears just fight the pressure and the sides of my head just stay tense the whole time I wear them. I'm considering other supraaurals that might be more comfortable, especially the HD238, but I expect I'll be as annoyed with other supraaurals as I am with the ES7. I'd like to find a circumaural that's maybe not exactly portable, but at least 'transportable,' and would be at least competitive with the ES7 for SQ if not an upgrade.

The DJ-type black plastic phones (m50, srh440/840, etc) are an obvious but bulky option.

So are the Denon D1001, but I sometimes see them listed as on-ear, and other times as circumaural.

Which is it?

And, other suggestions? i have a portable amp (PPAS). current source is a 1st gen Zune. I listen to all varieties of music, so an 'all-rounder' is preferred. under $300.

Feb 13, 2010 at 6:23 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by swbf2cheater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they are fully over the ear

Thx for a quick reply.

Hey I see in your sig you have both the D1001 and the ATH-ES7. You don't have to get technical .. but which do you prefer? And (sorry to pick your brain) how does the d1001 compare to the srh840 for you? Does the 840 just stomp the others when amped?

Feb 13, 2010 at 7:43 AM Post #4 of 5
I have 'em both, and your concept re the 1001s is spot on. While fully circumaural indeed, they are smaller and more compact than most. SQ and containment are excellent, isolation is only fair. But for travel that is perfect.

They look too much like "headphones" for use at the gym if image counts, that's where the ES7's shine (literally with their mirror finish).

ES7's have maybe sharper transients than the Denons, but overall the Denons are very smooth and mellow, really a terrific sound. As long as you are happy with the look, real headphones slightly reduced in size, you can't go wrong with the D1001s.

Feb 13, 2010 at 8:09 AM Post #5 of 5
You might also want to look at the creative aurvana lives. I'm not a big fan of glossy black shiny stuff(seriously... there's too much of it in today's tech imo XD), but they are clones of the D1001(same manufacturer), with the same drivers and other parts. Keep in mind I've heard neither, but if you're on a budget, the CAL! can be had for much less:

Costco - Creative Aurvana Live! Vivid Performance For Music Connoisseurs

The Shure 750DJ has been getting a lot of love recently, being described as an 840 that soudnds good without an amp, but it might not be as comfortable. The CAL/D1001 are supposed to be like some of the comfiest headphones in existence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back