D1000 vs D1001 vs DT770
Jun 26, 2008 at 3:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

RokabillySwagger

100+ Head-Fier
Okay quick closed phone question, of the Denon D1000, D1001 and the DT770 80ohm which is the best sounding. I need a closed phone to prevent leakage but i don't need much isolation. My tastes are generally rock, prog, punk, and metal. I like bass but don't need a ton of it. I like punchy tight bass rather than tons of it. I love treble to the point of loving it too much so it would be nice. Soundstage is nice, i really like open sounding headphones but i kinda need closed ones. Any other sub 200 recco's are welcome but these are the ones I am really interested in. I am willing to recable and have the ability so that can be taken into account.
Edit: Anyone have experience with AKG K271 MkII's. They fit the price range and requirements. Just curious how they sound.

Jun 26, 2008 at 5:01 AM Post #2 of 11
D1000 & D1001=same can. The D1001 comes with a storage bag. Whoohooo!!! That's the only difference. Your questions apply to both cans. Soundstage=Dt700, Bass=DT770 Mids&Highs=D1000/01

I prefer the D1000s over the DT770. Why? The 770s are very dry sounding. The mids are really funky. They seem pulled back much more then the Denons. Like the singer is behind the band. And the 770s can be VERY harsh in the highs. The Denons are way smoother and musical.
The Denons IMO are a much better balanced can. The Bass is tight and quick and it doesn't bleed into the mids or highs. On the other hand the 770s will kick you in the balls with it's bass. But it drowns out the mids.
Both cans or fantastic and a great buy at their prices. My music taste is the same as yours, Maybe? And I prefer the Denons. I sold the 770s and still have my Denons and don't think I'd ever part with them.
You see Alot more 770s for sale if that means anything? Very seldom do you see Denons up for sale. As I'm sure most people won't let them go either?

Jun 27, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #3 of 11
Anymore opinions? I think the Denon's seem like a good idea but the AKG K271's appeal to me in terms of style. I know that seems stupid but i dig big studio cans. How does their sound compare to the Denons, and are there any other sub $200USD closed phones i should be looking at?

Jun 27, 2008 at 8:42 AM Post #5 of 11
So the Creative Live! Aurvana is similar to the Denon D100x headphone?

Jun 27, 2008 at 8:54 AM Post #7 of 11
I owned the original AKG K271, which should sound the same as the MkII.
The bass is tight, mids and highs are gorgious. Tons of details. But there's no 'PRaT' or kick. It sounds rather sterile, lifeless. No fun. But for studio work, they are great.

The DT 770 Pro on the other hand is lots of fun, but the bass is fatiguing. And the sibilance anoying. I think the mids are ok.
Haven't heard the Denon.

Jun 27, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #8 of 11
New question, should i keep saving up and go for the D2000? It seems to me that it might suit my desire to have an open sounding can without all the leakage. I could see myself building a Cmoy amp in the short term and using the D2000 for a lot longer than the D100x or the DT770's. The d2000 is so well reviewed here that its hard not to consider saving for an extra couple of months and getting them. Anyone else think i should wait just a bit longer and get what i hope is a really amazing can?

Jul 31, 2008 at 1:57 PM Post #10 of 11
Do the D1001s have almost as much bass as the D2000s? Is there a huge difference? Does the difference justify the price difference? If I am a basshead but still want to hear the higher frequencies will this be adequate?

Jul 31, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Creative Aurvana Live! Another Foster rebrand after Denon D1000/D1001, with modified drivers. After recabling the CALs I sold the HD25-1 - better comfort, more interesting sound.

How do the Creative's sound stock compared to the D1000's? Also do they isolate better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back