D10+HD 650 = poor volume?
Oct 7, 2009 at 11:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Josh Charlie

New Head-Fier
Hello all! First post...been reading the forums for a while now but only just signed up today.

I recieved this morning a nice box from the postman with some HD 650's and a shiny new D10! Eagerly I opened it up and set it all up. I have it running from my PC with an X-FI from SPDIF out. The D10 is being charged from the mains, and then connected straight to the 650's.

I have all the PC volume options turned up hi (under the X-FI panel and iTunes) and I have the D10 set to about 3pm on the dial. And yet it still does not sound that loud to me? I can go up to full volume on the D10 and still it feels as if there could be much more to go.

Does this sound reasonable? I plugged a set of senn in ear headphones I had laying around in to the D10 and they were MUCH louder. Is this just a case of the 650's being harder to drive properly out of the D10?

Its the same when I have my IPOD>LOD>D10.

I tried to search but couldnt really find many volume related posts!! Thanks all
atsmile.gif

Oct 7, 2009 at 12:02 PM Post #2 of 34
The D10 specs recommends Headphones between the 8~300 Range.

Oct 7, 2009 at 12:54 PM Post #3 of 34
After a little more listening I am thinking perhaps its just due to their open design, and it wasnt quite the full on sound I was expecting...they go loud enough for most situations. I just thought they might be able to go a bit louder!
o2smile.gif

Oct 7, 2009 at 1:12 PM Post #4 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Charlie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After a little more listening I am thinking perhaps its just due to their open design, and it wasnt quite the full on sound I was expecting...they go loud enough for most situations. I just thought they might be able to go a bit louder!
o2smile.gif

While my HD650s sound ok with portable amps, the improvement with my desktop amp (see my signature) is HUGE!

While the D10 is rated up to 300 ohms, I really believe that the HD650s need (DEMAND) a full sized desktop amp to sound their best.

Oct 7, 2009 at 1:22 PM Post #6 of 34
Thanks guys. I am happy with them for now, but I knew this would be a steep learning curve, for me and my wallet
wink.gif
I hope perhaps next year I will be able to buy something like a graham slee and a good dedicated source.

Oct 7, 2009 at 1:30 PM Post #7 of 34
Quote:

Thanks guys. I am happy with them for now, but I knew this would be a steep learning curve, for me and my wallet
wink.gif

I hope perhaps next year I will be able to buy something like a graham slee and a good dedicated source.

Wise choice, good luck. I hope your wallet will survive.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2009 at 1:38 PM Post #8 of 34
I've run a set of 650's out of my D10 with acceptable listening volumes. If you flip the gain switch you get just a little more even, mind you some people seem to think that it changes the sound slightly.

Oct 7, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #9 of 34
Quote:

Hello all! First post...been reading the forums for a while now but only just signed up today.

I recieved this morning a nice box from the postman with some HD 650's and a shiny new D10! Eagerly I opened it up and set it all up. I have it running from my PC with an X-FI from SPDIF out. The D10 is being charged from the mains, and then connected straight to the 650's.

I have all the PC volume options turned up hi (under the X-FI panel and iTunes) and I have the D10 set to about 3pm on the dial. And yet it still does not sound that loud to me? I can go up to full volume on the D10 and still it feels as if there could be much more to go.

Does this sound reasonable? I plugged a set of senn in ear headphones I had laying around in to the D10 and they were MUCH louder. Is this just a case of the 650's being harder to drive properly out of the D10?

Its the same when I have my IPOD>LOD>D10.

I tried to search but couldnt really find many volume related posts!! Thanks all
atsmile.gif

I'm going to be running pretty much the same setup here what with the D10 and the HD650s... I knew I was probably going to have to upgrade to a full amp eventually, but I can wait on that I think.

You say you're running this out of an X-FI. Just out of curiosity, doesn't the DAC in the D10 automatically uh... I don't know the technical lingo for this, but doesn't it automatically supersede the soundcard when plugged in?

Oct 7, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #10 of 34
I do believe this to be the case! Though I can still seem to influence some settings, i.e I can make the card run in game or entertainment mode and the volume settings under windows obviously work.

I have it on SPDIF out in theory it should be going straight to the D10.

Dont get me wrong, the sound is ok, perhaps they do need to burn in considering I have only listened to them for a few hours before I am to harsh!
biggrin.gif

Oct 7, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #11 of 34
Quote:

I do believe this to be the case! Though I can still seem to influence some settings, i.e I can make the card run in game or entertainment mode and the volume settings under windows obviously work.

Dont get me wrong, the sound is ok, perhaps they do need to burn in considering I have only listened to them for a few hours before I am to harsh!
biggrin.gif

Oh ok. I was just wondering if I was missing some sort of secret setting that turned the DAC off in the D10 or something
biggrin.gif

One thing I'll say about this hobby is that its a learning experience... an expensive learning experience.

Oct 7, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

biggrin.gif

You can alter the modes because that is digital processing of the signal, and hence when you toslink out to your ibasso it just converts what it receives from your comp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adrift /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to be running pretty much the same setup here what with the D10 and the HD650s... I knew I was probably going to have to upgrade to a full amp eventually, but I can wait on that I think.

You say you're running this out of an X-FI. Just out of curiosity, doesn't the DAC in the D10 automatically uh... I don't know the technical lingo for this, but doesn't it automatically supersede the soundcard when plugged in?

When the D10 receives a digital signal then yes.

Oct 7, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by ABathingApe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When the D10 receives a digital signal then yes.

Hi there ABathingApe.

Could you clarify a bit? Are you saying that because he's running this out of SPDIF (digital signal) the D10's DAC is able to supersede the internal soundcard? If that's the case, that makes sense.

What if he's running his D10 out through USB. Is the signal no longer considered "digital" and does that mean that the soundcard now supersedes the D10's DAC?

If all of this is wildly off topic I'll open a new thread. Don't mean to hijack Josh's

Oct 7, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #14 of 34
My P3+ is plenty loud. I don't think the batteries for the D10 and the P3+ are wildly different in terms of voltage (the mains input must probably be the same as the battery pack in the D10), maybe a 1/3rd difference if I remember correctly. I won't turn the P3+ past 12 0 clock even on the rare occasions I bring my (open) headphones + P3+ in the car with me.
The HD650s were 300ohms last time I checked. I know that the SR-80s played twice as loud as my HD 650s when I tried some at Richer Sounds.
Do any of you know if burn in affects volume on headphones or amps?

Oct 7, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by adrift /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi there ABathingApe.

Could you clarify a bit? Are you saying that because he's running this out of SPDIF (digital signal) the D10's DAC is able to supersede the internal soundcard? If that's the case, that makes sense.

What if he's running his D10 out through USB. Is the signal no longer considered "digital" and does that mean that the soundcard now supersedes the D10's DAC?

If all of this is wildly off topic I'll open a new thread. Don't mean to hijack Josh's

Any connectors on the back, USB, Toslink, Digital Coax are all digital signals. I'm saying that by accepting a digital signal, the iBasso does the Digital to Analog Conversion (DAC) on it's own, using a wolfson chip. Which is what a dedicated soundcard does. But, by adding those settings through his soundcard software (modes), I'm going to assume that the sound card is processing the signal (still digital) and changing it to suit that mode, but the functionality of the DAC still resides in the D10.

Another way to put it is, if you connect the soundcard through 3.5mm to the line in of the iBasso, you are only using the amp. If you are connecting through any inputs in the rear, the iBasso can perform either DAc + Amp or DAC functionality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back