D-T450 RightMark test report
Aug 31, 2003 at 8:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

PeterR

European Group Buy Coordinator
Quote:

Originally posted by D555
Hello Peter,

Probably an impedance mismatch no other loading is present.

Paul

No, no mismatch. Wasn't meant as criticism, just asking out of couriosity. With a lower load, you'd get an earlier rolloff in the bass, and different distortion figures.

Aug 31, 2003 at 8:51 AM Post #2 of 9
Hey, i'll tell you something...

This program might not tell you physically how something sounds, but it shows that the D211 and D311 are pretty cool players (like you didn't know that already
wink.gif

(going to mess around more with the recalibration for each unit though, this was set up spot on for the 311, but only crudely for the 211... more later)

Aug 31, 2003 at 9:15 PM Post #3 of 9
Hello Peter,

No criticism taken!
smily_headphones1.gif
Though any constructive criticism is most certainly welcome. At least we have some sort of ability to measure these things. This information is isn't available anywhere else that I'm aware of. All we had were manufacturer's published specs. Now if only these RightMark tests would display linearity and phase.....

Paul

Aug 3, 2009 at 11:36 AM Post #4 of 9
Hello,

The Sony D-T405 is a AM/FM tuner equipped PCDP from 1997.
It has 10 second ESP. Tests were run with NO ESP and ESP. These tests are an eye-opener!

RightMark Report for T-405, Heaphone out, no EQ, no ESP:

Frequency Response, dB: +0.19, -0.32
Noise level, dbA: -89.1
Dynamic range, dBA: 89.2
THD, %: 0.086
Intermodulation, %: 0.088
Stereo crosstalk, dB: -59.4

RightMark Report for the T-405, Headphone out, no EQ, ESP on:

Frequency Response, dB: +0.27, -0.48
Noise Level, dbA: -89.0
Dynamic range, dBA: 88.0
THD, % 0.087
Intermodulation, %: 1.950
Stereo crosstalk, dB: -59.4

In the graphs the NO ESP vs. the ESP were virtually identical *except* for the Intemodulation distorion figure. Noticibly worse in both the measurement and in listening.

Comparison to the D-EJ2000 via the graphs showed similar results between the players except in the "Stereo crosstalk" (the D-T405 being worse) and, of couse the worse IMD reading for the D-T405 with ESP ON. Looking at the graphs and "laying them on top of each other", the D-T405 has a *very* slight edge over the D-EJ2000 in the extreme upper reaches (above 18khz), by about maybe .25 db

Based upon these results, ESP as implemented in this D-T405 does introduce a deterioration in sound.

Best regards,

Paul

Nov 5, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #9 of 9
Hello David,

Of course not. These are simple, crude, objective tests. My computer is not a multi-thousand dollar calibrated audio instrument. In absoluete terms these tests may not even be that accurate. They may only be accurate in relation to each other.

These tests are being run for fun. I was hoping to compare some units with the Sony D-555 but, unfortunately, the D-555 does not read the CD-R.

Best regards,

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back