D marc0's Journal: My Head-fi Journey
Jan 26, 2014 at 5:19 AM Post #151 of 562

He was, and he knows that but what djvkool is saying is that he's not certain if mine is the new or old version. My 1Plus2 is from June '13 so I'd say it's the current/"new" one. I'm guessing when members here refer to "old" it's the one from Aug->Nov '12? That's my 3rd Uber which is why I'm kinda ultra paranoid about it.

what happened with the first two Ubers?

Jan 26, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #152 of 562

He was, and he knows that but what djvkool is saying is that he's not certain if mine is the new or old version. My 1Plus2 is from June '13 so I'd say it's the current/"new" one. I'm guessing when members here refer to "old" it's the one from Aug->Nov '12? That's my 3rd Uber which is why I'm kinda ultra paranoid about it.

I figured that although I was also answering H20s questions at the same time :). Third Uber? Are they breaking? Warranty?

Jan 26, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #153 of 562
What improvements do the uber cables bring to the 1plus2?

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #154 of 562

Can't wait until you are back in Perth again Sean, this time I will bring my own cable and I'd love to have another go at your 1P2
wink_face.gif
, as most people said that 1P2 is the best sounding universal hybrid

Oh I did indeed, big thanks to AnakChan for bringing that along with him...

Can do. I was supposed to go back in March but I'm not so certain now (work's been becoming more "critical"). I'll definitely ping you and organise another meet.

what happened with the first two Ubers?

Originally Posted by lee730 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I figured that although I was also answering H20s questions at the same time :). Third Uber? Are they breaking? Warranty?

First one was DOA but Gavin/Tralucent tested it before shipment. I'm not certain if it's during packing, or if Japan Post opened it up to check and didn't put it back together or what but a channel was cut. 2nd I was a lot more careful which lasted a few weeks more until I went with a friend to the stores. We tried it with various DAPs and coming home, a channel died (this time it was determined the cut was at the Y-split - I can only guess that a scenario of one earphone is in the listener's ear and the other was off dangling).

3rd has so far survived since July :D. But sadly I don't listen to the 1Plus2 very much so they're safely in their storage case. In the first 2 cases Gavin had been very gracious to cover under warranty. I don't wanna push my luck with the 3rd so I'm super extra careful so I follow Gavin's instructions carefully on unrolling it from its storage and even when the earpiece is twisted and the cable not too tightly looped around the ear - sorry djvkool if I appeared ultra paranoid when you were trying it :D.

What improvements do the uber cables bring to the 1plus2?

Wow, ok if you're asking -me- specifically, it's kinda like opening a can of worms. I've written my review of the 1Plus2 and I'll admit that for my 1st round of 1Plus2 ownership (yes I bought it twice - 1st one returned but decided to give it a 2nd shot; with the Uber cable). I'll admit and will still stand by that my 1st round of the 1Plus2 didn't agree to my ears - this is with the silver cable v1.0 and with silver/gold cable v1.0. Gavin was very patient in listening to my every complaint and even offered back a refund after I was unhappy with his every attempt to resolve my issues.

One evening before the 2013 New York show, Dimitri/Musica Acoustics met up with me as he needed components from me to exhibit at the show there. Whilst having dinner Dimitri whips out an Uber cable with the 1Plus2's. I brought along my Rhapsodio RDB+ v1s along. To my ears the Uber did a massive improvement in addressing the issues I had with the original 1Plus2 and that's where I decided to re-buy the 1Plus2 again but with the Uber cable this time.

In short to my ears :-
1) The Uber fills the mids that was lacking in the silver and silver/gold cables previously
2) This also meant that the relative difference in listening of transition from the mids to the trebles was a lot less therefore the relative perception of the trebles was less piercing. I think overall though, despite the relative difference the cable did control the the treble brightness better and smoother (P.S. I did burn in the silver and silver gold for 300 hrs in case anyone thinks I didn't burn it in).
3) despite the mids being more filled in the perception of the soundstage was still wide. What's funny is A/B-ing the sliver and Uber, the silver starts to sound congested! Bear in mind that for most 1Plus2 reviewers with the stock silver cable, the 1Plus2 is already one of the widest (if not the widest) sounding IEM back in early 2013. But the Uber to my ears just made it bigger the sliver sounded relatively congested. Maybe to be precise, I should say the Uber sounded more expansive.

I've tried a bunch of cables with the various IEMs I've had in the past: Headphone Lounge, Beat Audio Cables, PlusSound, FitEar 000/001, BTG, etc. Whilst those cables did vary in differences, to me the differences were tiny. One would have to listen hard or listen critically to pick up the difference. However with the Tralucent Silver and Silver/Gold to the Uber, it was significant enough for me to decide from returning the 1Plus2 to deciding to buy and keeping it. I have to admit I've not really come across another cable that has made me do that. Since then I've learnt not to treat different cables so frivolously.

Finally I may get a question as to why I don't spend much time with my 1Plus2 if I have such high praise for it with the Uber cable. Here are my concerns :-
- I've become paranoid with the fragility of the package - (not only the cables breaking, but the connectors getting loose and the earphone dropping from the connector)
- comfort...it takes time to get it right on the earphone with the Uber. Much easier with the Sliver/Sliver Gold
- even with the Uber, this to me is still a very surgical sounding signature - it's like watching a Hitchcock movie, where I'm on the edge of my seat

Apologies for the very long response to such a simple question. I didn't get a chance to spend so much on HF this past weekend and this is my only chance before going to bed for work the next day :D.

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #155 of 562

Can do. I was supposed to go back in March but I'm not so certain now (work's been becoming more "critical"). I'll definitely ping you and organise another meet.

First one was DOA but Gavin/Tralucent tested it before shipment. I'm not certain if it's during packing, or if Japan Post opened it up to check and didn't put it back together or what but a channel was cut. 2nd I was a lot more careful which lasted a few weeks more until I went with a friend to the stores. We tried it with various DAPs and coming home, a channel died (this time it was determined the cut was at the Y-split - I can only guess that a scenario of one earphone is in the listener's ear and the other was off dangling).

3rd has so far survived since July :D. But sadly I don't listen to the 1Plus2 very much so they're safely in their storage case. In the first 2 cases Gavin had been very gracious to cover under warranty. I don't wanna push my luck with the 3rd so I'm super extra careful so I follow Gavin's instructions carefully on unrolling it from its storage and even when the earpiece is twisted and the cable not too tightly looped around the ear - sorry djvkool if I appeared ultra paranoid when you were trying it :D.

Wow, ok if you're asking -me- specifically, it's kinda like opening a can of worms. I've written my review of the 1Plus2 and I'll admit that for my 1st round of 1Plus2 ownership (yes I bought it twice - 1st one returned but decided to give it a 2nd shot; with the Uber cable). I'll admit and will still stand by that my 1st round of the 1Plus2 didn't agree to my ears - this is with the silver cable v1.0 and with silver/gold cable v1.0. Gavin was very patient in listening to my every complaint and even offered back a refund after I was unhappy with his every attempt to resolve my issues.

One evening before the 2013 New York show, Dimitri/Musica Acoustics met up with me as he needed components from me to exhibit at the show there. Whilst having dinner Dimitri whips out an Uber cable with the 1Plus2's. I brought along my Rhapsodio RDB+ v1s along. To my ears the Uber did a massive improvement in addressing the issues I had with the original 1Plus2 and that's where I decided to re-buy the 1Plus2 again but with the Uber cable this time.

1) The Uber fills the mids that was lacking in the silver and silver/gold cables previously
2) This also meant that the relative difference in listening of transition from the mids to the trebles was a lot less therefore the relative perception of the trebles was less piercing. I think overall though, despite the relative difference the cable did control the the treble brightness better and smoother (P.S. I did burn in the silver and silver gold for 300 hrs in case anyone thinks I didn't burn it in).
3) despite the mids being more filled in the perception of the soundstage was still wide. What's funny is A/B-ing the sliver and Uber, the silver starts to sound congested! Bear in mind that for most 1Plus2 reviewers with the stock silver cable, the 1Plus2 is already one of the widest (if not the widest) sounding IEM back in early 2013. But the Uber to my ears just made it bigger the sliver sounded relatively congested. Maybe to be precise, I should say the Uber sounded more expansive.

I've tried a bunch of cables with the various IEMs I've had in the past: Headphone Lounge, Beat Audio Cables, PlusSound, FitEar 000/001, BTG, etc. Whilst those cables did vary in differences, to me the differences were tiny. One would have to listen hard or listen critically to pick up the difference. However with the Tralucent Silver and Silver/Gold to the Uber, it was significant enough for me to decide from returning the 1Plus2 to deciding to buy and keeping it. I have to admit I've not really come across another cable that has made me do that. Since then I've learnt not to treat different cables so frivolously.

Finally I may get a question as to why I don't spend much time with my 1Plus2 if I have such high praise for it with the Uber cable. Here are my concerns :-
- I've become paranoid with the fragility of the package - (not only the cables breaking, but the connectors getting loose and the earphone dropping from the connector)
- comfort...it takes time to get it right on the earphone with the Uber. Much easier with the Sliver/Sliver Gold
- even with the Uber, this to me is still a very surgical sounding signature - it's like watching a Hitchcock movie, where I'm on the edge of my seat

Apologies for the very long response to such a simple question. I didn't get a chance to spend so much on HF this past weekend and this is my only chance before going to bed for work the next day :D.

nice touch up on the Uber cable Sean

May I ask which version is the silver/gold cable that you owned?

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #156 of 562
  nice touch up on the Uber cable Sean

May I ask which version is the silver/gold cable that you owned?

For the 1Plus2 when I tested the silver and silver/gold it was with the v1.0 on both (This is between Jan 2012 -> Mar 2012). The v2.0 didn't exist then. I do have the silver/gold v2.0 at the moment but it's terminated for my FitEar MH335DW.

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #157 of 562

For the 1Plus2 when I tested the silver and silver/gold it was with the v1.0 on both (This is between Jan 2012 -> Mar 2012). The v2.0 didn't exist then. I do have the silver/gold v2.0 at the moment but it's terminated for my FitEar MH335DW.

I see, The ver. 1 silver/gold was the one with the wires with red strand running through it?
Version 2 should be the current black sheathed cable

Jan 26, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #158 of 562
I see, The ver. 1 silver/gold was the one with the wires with red strand running through it?
Version 2 should be the current black sheathed cable
Yep something like that. I can'tremember the color coding of the silver & silver gold on the thin coloured strand but v1 has the translucent sheath whilst the v2 has the black sheath.

Jan 26, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #159 of 562

Thank you for sharing your experience!

Having heard the 1Plus2 Original version has me thinking there is quite a drastic change to the current 1plus2 based on your review. I've only detected slight sibilance from the original version although I do think it needs to be a little bit more extended. I also noticed that the bass response wasn't good enough for the price that it was going at. 

H20Fidelity did tell me that the major differences between the original and current version of the 1Plus2 are the bass response, treble extension, imaging and resolution. So your review also confirms those. But regarding sibilance... is the intensity the same as the original version? or is the current 1Plus2 more sibilant in comparison?

Cheers!

Jan 26, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #160 of 562
How much is that uber cable again? And what therefore would the total package price be for the 1p2 + uber?

Jan 26, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #161 of 562

Having heard the 1Plus2 Original version has me thinking there is quite a drastic change to the current 1plus2 based on your review. I've only detected slight sibilance from the original version although I do think it needs to be a little bit more extended. I also noticed that the bass response wasn't good enough for the price that it was going at. 

H20Fidelity did tell me that the major differences between the original and current version of the 1Plus2 are the bass response, treble extension, imaging and resolution. So your review also confirms those. But regarding sibilance... is the intensity the same as the original version? or is the current 1Plus2 more sibilant in comparison?

Cheers!

I have to admit I've not heard the original version. I got into the 1Plus2 "late in the game". Will have to defer that to H2O.

How much is that uber cable again? And what therefore would the total package price be for the 1p2 + uber?

I'd say you'd have to prepare at least a $2.2K budget for this (or talk to spkrs01 for more specific pricing). The Uber cable alone is RRP at $1300 last I read. It's crazy amount but I've started to compare it to say high end speaker cables in terms of scale i.e. you can get $50 -> $20K speaker cables. This Uber cable isn't just used for IEMs, there's a power cable that uses the same technology. I'm kinda thinking of speaker tech brought to headphone/earphone world.

Jan 26, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #162 of 562

Cheers!

Bass impact on the newer version is quite a lot better than the older version. especially in speed and impact. The revised version has bass you actually feel, when songs hit with impact you really get that sensation in a form of dynamics. The sibilance you're hearing mainly with vocals that slight roll is present in both units, I would say they're around the same regarding that, however a far cry from other IEM I have heard (not just the Unique Melody 3X I have here) If you ever want to hear a misbehaved IEM regarding sibilance have a listen to Vsonic GR01 some time then you'll understand how well behaved these really are considering how leaned out they are.  I was speaking to Gintaras and with 1Plus2's tuning it's very hard to avoid that minor problem in small percentage, just because an IEM is more expensive doesn't mean there will be 0% sibilance, a lot comes down to the frequency curve. But honestly it's so subtle it just rolls off before jumping out for me on both units personally.

When Lee and I say the revised 1Plus2 is quite a lot better than the old  version here we really mean A LOT better.

What the old 1Plus2 is basically some form of Rhapsodio RDB unit when two groups were partners, before Gavin set a goal attempting to create the best hybrid in the world. :wink:.

Just to give you an idea on how different they could possibly be. 

Jan 26, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #163 of 562
Still the old unit is in my top 5. It was hard to believe things could have improved upon as is at the time.... I was quite skeptical regarding the new unit and it took me a couple days to get accustomed to it (also the burn in played a big roll in that).

Jan 26, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #164 of 562
Gotta say the 1plus2 is indeed a very nice sounding and unique iem. I got my mentor yesterday and the top/bot extension of the 1plus2,and the clarity of it, is nicely tuned when compared to the mentor.

Also, i find the 1+2 very fun in the sense that it pairs well with cables of all kinds (copper/hybrid/silver/silver+gold)

Jan 26, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #165 of 562

Bass impact on the newer version is quite a lot better than the older version. especially in speed and impact. The revised version has bass you actually feel, when songs hit with impact you really get that sensation in a form of dynamics. The sibilance you're hearing mainly with vocals that slight roll is present in both units, I would say they're around the same regarding that, however a far cry from other IEM I have heard (not just the Unique Melody 3X I have here) If you ever want to hear a misbehaved IEM regarding sibilance have a listen to Vsonic GR01 some time then you'll understand how well behaved these really are considering how leaned out they are.  I was speaking to Gintaras and with 1Plus2's tuning it's very hard to avoid that minor problem in small percentage, just because an IEM is more expensive doesn't mean there will be 0% sibilance, a lot comes down to the frequency curve. But honestly it's so subtle it just rolls off before jumping out for me on both units personally.

When Lee and I say the revised 1Plus2 is quite a lot better than the old  version here we really mean A LOT better almost not comparable.

What the old 1Plus2 is basically some form of Rhapsodio RDB unit when two groups were partners, before Gavin set a goal attempting to create the best hybrid in the world. :wink:.

Just to give you an idea on how different they could possibly be. 

Thanks mate! Considering how much I enjoyed the original version, I could only imagine how much MORE it'll be with the revised 1Plus2!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back