d-jays, UM1 or ER6i to replace CX300
Feb 23, 2007 at 10:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

imported_za_boy

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to upgrade from my CX300's. Living in South Africa makes it just a little difficult to test drive each of these so I hope you can help. I listen to most types of music but really enjoy rock. Some of my fav U2, Snow Patrol, Dire Straits, Smashing Pumpkins, ACDC, Pearl Jam, The Killers.

I've narrowed it down to d-jays, UM1's and ER6i's but am still open to other suggestions in a similar price bracket.

Thanks in advance,

Feb 26, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #3 of 9
There are loads of similar threads. That's probly why people don't bother to answer. You really should do a search.

Well anyway, I faced the same dilemma a few months ago. Based on the description people gave of Etys, I gave up on them (too bright?!). I was also interested in d-jays, but there wasn't enough info on it to convince me to go that way.
confused.gif

So I ended up with UM1s and couldn't be happier. They are much more balanced than CX300. They also isolate way better and they are as comfortable as I can imagine an IEM to be. I can even sleep with them on and that's saying a lot. But the best thing is probably the sound which is really a big jump from CX300. Some people may miss the amount of bass of them, but not me.
smily_headphones1.gif

The only downside is that once I tried these with an amp, I can't listen to them without one. They really benefit from an amp. It improves the bass that might have been a bit lacking before, but not anymore. So my vote goes to UM1
biggrin.gif

Feb 26, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for the reply, I've been leaning towards the UM1s as I've read that they're very comfy. If the UM1s have less bass that the CX300 then from what I've read around here the ER-6i must have way less than the CX300, not that I'm a huge bass fan.

Feb 26, 2007 at 3:28 PM Post #5 of 9
I would recommend the D-jays, I once had the cx300 and really disliked them, the bass was bloated but you already know this....
I have almost the same taste in music as you, and what I like in headphones is the midrange, (voices, guitars) and if you got the same preferences then the D-jays are somthing for you, they do have a nive firm bass and nice details in the higher notes but not as prominent as the midrange..

I can not comment on the others because I do not have them...

Mar 26, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #6 of 9
I have both UM1 & d-Jays and I think they are both great IEMs. UM1 are are a true work horse with great comfort, works for stage monitoring, mixing & mp3 player. The d-Jays have the sightly more refined sound steadier bas, rounder high mid & gentler rolled of treble, better if you only use them with mp3 player. Both are very responsive to EQ (you can do alot with the sound since they are balanced)

Mar 26, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #7 of 9
Mar 27, 2007 at 10:12 AM Post #9 of 9
UM1 might be easier to get depending on your location. I am in New Zealand and was aslo looking at the d-JAYS but as there are no local dealers here, I would have had to get them shipped from Sweden for $99 for the IEM's plus another $99 shipping = $200 total for a $100 product...that ruled them out for me. They look awesome though and are meant to be really comfortable and rest flat in the ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back