D-EJ01 vs. D-EJ1000
Aug 4, 2002 at 9:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

scanthat

New Head-Fier
I got (what I thought was) a great deal yesterday on the Sony D-EJ01 - $98 at my local Shirokiya store here in Honolulu (one of the advantages of living here is the close proximity to all things Japanese: Shirokiya is a Tokyo retailer whose only store outside Japan is here, and their inventory - and sometimes pricing - reflects that; walking through their store is like a little stroll through Tokyo). However, on getting the thing home, I was shocked by its flimsy build quality, and poor ergonomics.

In addition to which, my unit had a sad defect: the door covering the disc slot remained open on one side. I returned the unit today (for a refund, since I didn't, strictly speaking, *need* a new player).

Has anyone else noticed this about the D-EJ01's build quality? I did like the way it sounded (though not with the horrible headphones supplied), and am wondering, as well, about the D-EJ1000 in terms of its build quality and sound - better than the D-EJ01? Thanks.

Aug 4, 2002 at 5:14 PM Post #3 of 11
Yep, the poor build quality and aweful headphone amp are the main reasons i gave it 2/5 and 4/5 on my audioreview.com review. The case supposedly uses magnesium, but they used so little that the top flexes with the smallest amount of pressure. A large number have problems with the door, so i opened mine and bent it back into shape.

The player also hasn't been reliable, the laser sled jammed on my player; although i was able to open the player and fix it, i'm guessing most people would have had to return it to sony.

But i find the ergonomics above average, the slot loading is quite useful, though it can scratch discs. The button layout/remote control is typical of all new (high-end) CD players, including the dj1000. The antiskip and battery life are excellent, though the Dj1000 may be even better.

Sound is mixed, headphone out blows but line out is amazing.
The Dj1000 should use similar circuitry, and should sound the same. I'm not sure how antiskip works on the newer players, hopefully it is still 12 seconds linear.

Aug 5, 2002 at 12:41 AM Post #4 of 11
I've been using the D-EJ01 just about every day all Summer and, so far at least, I've encountered no problems whatsoever. I use it almost exclusively with an amp, either the Stax SRM-001 or one of the JMT-built portables, but I have tried it with my Grado SR-60s sans amp and it sounded pretty good to me. I love the slot loading mechanism.
biggrin.gif

BTW, welcome to Head-Fi, scanthat!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 5, 2002 at 3:49 AM Post #5 of 11
Thanks for the replies. Guess I'll give the 1000 a try (I see that it can be had for $149). (Now for some headphones.)

The hardy welcome is appreciated, too. It's a pleasure to find this place.

Aug 6, 2002 at 6:28 AM Post #6 of 11
Don't forget to get yourself a DIY amp (Cmoy, Cha47..etc) to go with either player. Since, the headphone out of these two are horrid, you must try thier line out. From expereince, the ej-01 has very good line out (about the same as D-E905's).

Purk

Aug 7, 2002 at 9:02 AM Post #7 of 11
Thanks, purk, for the reminder. I confess that I wasn't fully aware
smily_headphones1.gif
of the advantages of amplifying for headphones until I discovered this forum.

I'm all about portability: I want everything. I want sound equipment, in particular, to sound as good as possible at home, while being small and lightweight for traveling far.

So the question is, if I were going to carry with me a PCDP, what headphone/amp combo would you (and others) recommend, that might also be good for home use (or, in the case of the amp, that might also be good for use at home driving less mobile cans, if I decide that, for headphones at least, "mobile" and "at home" really need to be separate items)?

Aug 8, 2002 at 3:14 AM Post #8 of 11
Hi there.

You know, scanthat, I find myself in a very similar quandry. I too have been looking very seriously at two Sony products (the D-EJ1000 and the D-CJ01) and the iRiver Slim-X. And, I am particularly excited about the idea of having a portable sound system that can rival or exceed the sonic quality of friends' home systems costing several times more.

I haven't been able to locate the D-EJ01 in my searches, but I must say it's really hard to decide between even the D-EJ1000 and the Slim-X. Technology of today truly astounds me. The idea of having an audiophile-quality system I can carry around with me (without the use of a Ryder truck!) amazes me. To boot, my wallet can survive getting that system whereas 15 years ago it would have rolled over and died. And the new (to me) concept of amplifying headphones is like icing on the cake.

If you do purchase the D-EJ1000, please post or email your impressions. I'd also like to hear thoughts from anyone of how it compares to the Slim-X... though I think I noticed a thread containing the Slim-X on these boards. I'm off to look for it after I do a little more homework on the DIY amps. Peace and chicken grease -- Hooch
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 8, 2002 at 4:20 AM Post #9 of 11
scanthat,

Quote:

Thanks, purk, for the reminder. I confess that I wasn't fully aware of the advantages of amplifying for headphones until I discovered this forum. I'm all about portability: I want everything. I want sound equipment, in particular, to sound as good as possible at home, while being small and lightweight for traveling far.

So the question is, if I were going to carry with me a PCDP, what headphone/amp combo would you (and others) recommend, that might also be good for home use (or, in the case of the amp, that might also be good for use at home driving less mobile cans, if I decide that, for headphones at least, "mobile" and "at home" really need to be separate items)?

No problem. You need to decide what type of headphone do you like to use with your pcdp. Sony MDR-V6 is a great phone that sound good out of just any headphone jack. I don't recommend any of Grados, since they are not a good match to your EJ-01 or 1000 and they are very leakage, b/c of their design. Senn HD-280 pro is probably a good choice if you willing to pay 20-30 dollars more from the Sony MDR-V6. Both V6 and HD-280 are closed phones. All the cans I've mentioned above are very low impedance and easily power by your wimpy headphone jack. If portability and money is not a problem, Ety ER-4P can't be beat as of a traveling companion.
As for the amp, I would suggest you getting a DIY amp from Tangent or JMT. Tangent has a Cmoy w/o the crossfeed that power my Senn HD-580 very well. The Cmoy w/o the crossfeed curcuit fits in the Altoid box very well. If you are getting the grado, get the Cha47. These amp should cost you with in 100 dollars. If you have more dough, go all the way with the META42 design. They are battery power as well.

Purk

Aug 9, 2002 at 7:57 AM Post #10 of 11
Scan,
When I saw that go on sale at Shirokiyas, I almost went for it. But I already got a slimx.....I use it with my JMT built CHA47 and my Koss Ksc35s. I am currently saving up for a META42.
md

Users who are viewing this thread

Back