d-ej01 first impression
post-159396
Post #1 of 7

swong1

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
After waiting for about a month, I finally got all my gears going. The d-ej01 (refurbished) finally arrived. Coupled with HD600 and Porta Corda, here's my first impression of the whole setup.

1. The G-protection on d-ej01 cannot be switched off. So I have no idea how it affects the sound quality. Does anyone has another Sony pcdp whose G-protection can be switched off? Could you tell us how it affects the sound?

2. I first tried with HD600 on the line out (without the Porta Corda). The sound is puny.

3. I then tried with the Porta Corda (following the advice or another head-fier, I supplied it with 18V instead of the usual 9V). The HD600 came alive. The sound is articulate. Every layer of music is clearly discernable. The funny thing is, I didn't notice any difference when I change to 9V.

4. I then tried the HD600 from the headphone jack(without the Porta Corda. Surprisingly, the d-ej01 is able to drive the HD600 to a fairly loud level), again, I didn't notice any difference in the sound. I tried very hard to catch any difference between the two by listening to the same track over and over again. I thought I detected a faint difference, but it could be placebo effect. The music I used was rock/pop with plenty of bass, drum beat, treble and vocal.

Here's my explanations:
1. I don't have the trained ear to notice the differece.
2. The music that I use does not fully tap the potential of d-ej01 and HD600.
3. The HD600 has not been fully broken in yet.
4. The headphone out of d-ej01 is really that good.

Do you have any other explanations? I'd appreciate it if you share your impression of d-ej01. Thanks!

p.s. I'll be getting the mdr-e888 headphone some time this week. I will compare it with the HD600. Keep your fingers crossed.

post-159399
Post #2 of 7

andrzejpw

May one day invent Bose-cancelling headphones.
Reaction score
Listen to hte portacorda exclusively for a while. Say, around a month. Then let us know.

post-159421
Post #3 of 7

NotoriousBIG_PJ

Step 1: Plug power cable into wall. Step 2: Plug other end of power cable into....umm.... Step 0.5: Order something to power with power cable.
Reaction score
Maybe you went too big too soon. I had been listening to koss exclusivley for years until I stumbled upon this site 4 months ago. I always thought that I could get better sound but I did not know how. Each time I've gotten new equipment I've noticed big leaps in sound and I can really appreciate the quality of these products.

Biggie.

post-159457
Post #4 of 7

swong1

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Thanks for all your suggestions.

best regards!

post-159571
Post #5 of 7

NotoriousBIG_PJ

Step 1: Plug power cable into wall. Step 2: Plug other end of power cable into....umm.... Step 0.5: Order something to power with power cable.
Reaction score
Oh and listening in quiet surroundings will help to hear the little differences.

Biggie.

post-159654
Post #6 of 7

thomas

Who needs headphones when there's the JVC MX-GT80?
Reaction score
1. The G-protection on the D-ej01 is 12 seconds linear, so it should not have any effect on the sound. The CD player has the best antiskip of any CD player, in that its perfectly skip-proof (way better than panasonic 570's linear memory, also better than most Cd players with 40 seconds compressed memory) yet does not compromise the sound...

2. The line out is not designed to drive headphones, and it will distort when a headphone is plugged in

3. The Line out of the D-ej01 (and a few other sony's) is also the best of any portable, comparable to a decent home cd player. I found the sound very smooth and neutral, with good detail throughout the range...

4. I couldn't disagree more. I think the headphone jack on the d-ej01 is horrible, the worst of any portable ever made. True, they can power the HD-600s, as they are a sensitive high impedance headphone that is very easy to drive. The amp isn't doing any work, so the good DACs of the player can produce decent sound. But try connecting any portable headphone with a lower impedance, and you will hear a hiss in the background, very compressed dynamics, flabby bass, grainy treble, etc...

post-159819
Post #7 of 7

swong1

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
I will be getting the e888 from bluetin some time this week. If I am not mistaken, it's impedence is only 16 ohm. If what thomas said is right, I will be able to hear those hisses with e888.

Oh, and thanks for the reassurance on sony's G-protection quality.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)