D.C. Area Meet (Sunday, August 30, 2015) - part of CanMania @ Capital Audio Fest (CAF) 2015
Aug 27, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #181 of 234
Gotta say this is really turning out to be an expensive hobby - replacement of one component drives the desire to replace another. The first headphone I plugged into the Multibit (Denon AH-D2000) sounds absolutely fantastic. It really opens up. The other three headphones I've been using (HiFiMan HE-400S, NAD VISO HP50, and Sennheiser HD650) really aren't registering anything sonically new for me. I guess those three were built to "tame" harsh digital sound.

I'll bring the whole kit, but really recommend you plug in your own headphones, via 1/4" jack or your own amplifier, to hear for yourself.

Multibit?

Aug 27, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #182 of 234

Don't they need breaking ?

Sure - 20 hours, 200 hours, 2000 hours 
biggrin.gif

Multibit?

Surprising to my ears. Not wanting to invest a lot to figure out what kind of sound I want, I invested a little in a few different headphones, always using the Schiit Bifrost Uber (the black one I brought to the last meet) as my reference DAC. Now using the Schiit Gungnir Multibit, only one of those headphones sounds significantly different than using the Bifrost. And on that headphone, it's not by a little - it's a big difference. So it seems to me that the other headphones do not have enough accuracy/detail to pick up on the Multibit upgrade. So yes, I'll be trying to listen to different headphones at the meet to see which of them pick up the same difference - and probably buying a new headphone later down the road 
frown.gif

Le sigh 
redface.gif

Aug 27, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #183 of 234
I think the main issue is headphone vendors are heading to London this coming weekend. So we locals are simply hosting our own meet on Sunday. So no, I don't think there will be a headphone room like last year. I read that Woo Audio would still be participating, and (just conjecture on my part) they may have a couple of headphone amps.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I talked to Woo earlier last week and they won't be at CAF either. They said they had conflicts, one of which was London CanJam.

Aug 27, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #184 of 234
Prior to Sunday, will this be the sign on the door to the headphone room:

Aug 27, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #185 of 234
Just grabbed the weekend pass.  Maybe I'll see some of you around:)

Aug 27, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #187 of 234
Aug 27, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #189 of 234
  Sheldaze,

Saw in your inventory you got the new JDS Element.  Any chance that's coming with you?

Oh yes - that's my headphone amplifier nowadays. It's the reason I'll be selling my Schiit on Monday after the meet 
biggrin.gif

Aug 27, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #191 of 234
Don't forget all my Schiit is black 
biggrin.gif

Awesome.  I am going to try to a figure out some kind of nametags for this thing so that we don't have to identify each other by our gear. 
tongue.gif

Cool 
cool.gif

Aug 27, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #192 of 234
  I think the main issue is headphone vendors are heading to London this coming weekend. So we locals are simply hosting our own meet on Sunday. So no, I don't think there will be a headphone room like last year. I read that Woo Audio would still be participating, and (just conjecture on my part) they may have a couple of headphone amps.

If I can get away, may swing by the last hour or so Sunday after work. I was hoping to hear some HPs with my Nuprime DAC-10h......oh, well.

NTL, Looking forward to checking out the non HP gear Saturday!

Aug 27, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #195 of 234

Yeah, that's kind of what I had in mind.  I can pick up regular nametags at Staples, right?

$6.29 for a pack of 100 - what a bargain!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back