D-777 vs. D-E900/905 for Purk or Duncan
Jun 9, 2002 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Yang

100+ Head-Fier
Being looking for these for a long time, then suddenly both of them shows up within 24hrs. First, I went to the local pawn shop Fri for a calculator and came across a D-777 with remote, rechargeable batteries, and broken earbuds-seem to be connection. The unit did not include the AC adapter or the battery attachment, but for only $115 (with tax) I got it. Since I also have a MD using the similar batteries, I used that to charge up the D-777’s 2 batteries separately and the player works and sound pretty good, but still not as good as my D-303 with the ER-4Ps for similar reasons mentioned in the “Legendary PCDPs” thread.

The next morning, I got an e-mail from a friend who had found a D-E900/905 for me. I can’t say the exact price, but it is not that much more than the D-777. Both units are in pretty good shape: the D-777 have a small scratch on around the “ CD COMPACT” lettering below the DISCMAN logo. It’s really nothing to me and the rest of the player is almost as good as new, the D-E900/905 is said to be mint, with most accessories, but since I don’t have it (yet?), I can’t really say much more.

I don’t have the money for both right now, so should I sell my D-777 and go for the D-E900/905? I do like the sound of a wider soundstage and a better lineout. Is there anything else that I should consider?

P.S. If anyone is willing to offer me just a tiny bid more that what I paid for the D-777, it will make my decision somewhat easier
smily_headphones1.gif
. Can't help that I'm a poor student.

Jun 9, 2002 at 10:12 PM Post #2 of 4
Yang,
I will make it easy on you, take the D-E900. The D-E900/5 is harder to find than the legedary D-555. In 1 year of searching through E-bay, I probably saw three D-555, ten D-777, and only **one D-E900/905**. Then Pianoblack informed me about the Singapore based company, "bluetin",...so ..I ordered the D-E905 from them.
As for sound quality, they are different. D-E905 delivers a much wider soundstage. The bass is somewhat more control, but a bit medicore to my taste. The midrage is very accurate, and the high is excellent. It also delivers a sense of "air" in music as well. Oh...the lineout is excellent, but your D-303 should be a bit better.
As for the D-777, ..you probably know that it is also an excellent player. It delivers powerful sound. The bass is tight and very very punchy (even better those of the D-303). However, the overall clarity and sounstage is not as good as the D-E905.
To me, I will pick the D-E900 up, and sell the D-777. Post the unit in Ebay or sell it to people here. And...the rest of you guys, if you want an excellent discman with powerful sounding....this is your chance. Take, and you won't regret.

***read my PM****

Jun 9, 2002 at 10:22 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks purk. I was kind leaning to the D-E900/905 anyways. I guess I also shouldn't have sold my D-555 for only $90 sinc ethe one with a broken display sold for over $140 on Ebay today, but I think I will get more chances in the future as I have seen quite a few of those lately. So anyone intereted in a D-777-check the For Sale section.

Jun 10, 2002 at 5:51 PM Post #4 of 4
Oops, I'm a bit late on this one... thats the problem with time zones
wink.gif

Yep, I have to agree with Purk on all what he says... the E905 definetly has a far superior line out than the D777 (not that the D777 is bad... but, you know
wink.gif
)

Although... if that deal hadn't come up on the E905, you could've still been happy in the knowledge of having one of the better PCDPs ever made
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back