D-25S, Senn HD-600, etc.
Jan 25, 2002 at 2:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

JML

Headphoneus Supremus
I took my D-25S, 1500 mA AC adapter, several CDs, and my Sony MDR-F1 phones to a Tweeter, Etc. store to listen to Senn HD-600s. I was disappointed -- very much so.

I know some folks say the D-25S can drive the 580s, and I have heard great things about the 580s and the 600s. But I have to side with those who say those puppies still need a dedicated amp, if what I heard is typical.

First caveat: the 600s were brand-new, opened just for this audition, and the F-1 has been well-broken-in for two months. Second caveat: I am not intending this to open up a can of worms or flames about the F-1. Third caveat: the F-1 and 600 each want plenty of voltage, but the F-1 has a nominal impedance of 12 ohms and a trick impedance matching circuit, while the 600 is rated at 300 ohms and supposedly likes 12 volts or more. (I drive 'em from the D-25S, a WM-D6C with oodles of power, or a preamp that has a goodly amount of current - 5 V.) Fourth caveat: I listened to about five CDs, all of which I'm very familiar with in CD and LP form. Several were stock "test" albums for auditioning equipment, going back 20 years.

The characteristics of the two phones are not all that different, interestingly, but in this setting the F-1 sounded much better than the 600. They're much, much closer in character and balance than either one is to a Grado SR-60/80 or to a Sony MDR-V6. The bass on the 600 definitely goes down deeper, but it was muddy when driven by the D-25S. From the point of male voice down to real deep bass from acoustic bass and big drums, the 600 was thick, dark, chesty, and undefined. By comparison, the F-1 was tight, fast, extremely detailed, and articulate, but definitely lighter. I think it was better balanced than the Senn. Voice on the 600 was thick, recessed, and indistinct by comparison. The midrange on the Sony had more presence and detail, but was not fatiguing at all -- in fact, they sounded right (comparing the voice to the singers' real voices, which on these recordings are pretty close to what they truly sound like. Highs were about the same, but the F-1 had a significant edge on clarity and space around the voices and instruments, esp. on things like cymbals and percussion. The 600 was closed-in, the F-1 was open and airy, with far fewer veils between me and the music. I could hear into the music far easier with the F-1; with the Senn I knew was listening to headphones.

Comfort was no contest at all. The 600 pads fit around my ears, but it was like having a vise tightened on my head; the F-1 is a caress from a feather. (But a 580 demo headset in the shop was much less tight, probably from being tried by many customers for for a long time.)

My conclusion? If I want a 580 or 600, I better put aside the extra $$$ for at least a Corda amp. Or maybe stay with the F-1 and maybe get a closed pair of cans for noisy settings (hmmm... that new Senn 280 Pro is a possibility...). I wish I could find a 565 to check out. And I really disliked that Corian or Formica countertop look! Why couldn't they use a black & grey carbon fiber and epoxy mix?

The Grado SR-80 I tried last week was a better match, if I could live with the build quality, the sibilant hiss, and the fit (but I don't like them, despite being born in Brooklyn, NY, where they build them).

Oh well... I thought this was worth sharing.

Jan 25, 2002 at 4:13 AM Post #2 of 4
The HD600 that you auditioned were probably brand new and not broken in. When fresh, these monsters sound bright and the bass muddy (puches your ears out which causes pain, lol) and are tight on your head(uncomfortable). HD600 definately needs a good amp to be used to its potential, but being driven from the headphone jack of the Sony D-25S was decent (for portable cdp+hp only use) none the less. In my experience, the headphone out had good soundstage, but causes sharp roll off in the highs, distinct sibilance, the bass is there, however the bass definition wasn't quite there (dark) and the lower midrange was lacking impact, yet still tonally balanced.

This doesn't mean the HD600 are bad, just that the Sony D-25S is unworthy of driving these cans without an external amplifier.

Jan 25, 2002 at 4:48 AM Post #3 of 4
The Sony D-25S is great but there is just no way in hell it can drive the 580 or the 600! I tried it with both, and it sounded like *****.

The Sony D-25S however does have a killer lineout for amps, so use it if you want to use something like the 580 or the 600.

Mar 22, 2002 at 2:19 PM Post #4 of 4
Hi, JML!

Quote:

The 600 was closed-in, the F-1 was open and airy, with far fewer veils between me and the music. I could hear into the music far easier with the F-1; with the Senn I knew was listening to headphones.

I can only second to that - You said what I could if I were first!
My HD600 are 2 years old, thus well broken in, and still when I love them, I feel the sound/music/voices somewhat distant and 'canny' sounding (from a small can/bottle/clamshell) compared to really open design of MDR-F1's

That's all...now.
Nice weekend.
Moonwalker

Users who are viewing this thread

Back