D-25S Help...
Apr 8, 2002 at 2:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Pepsione1

1000+ Head-Fier
Hm.. I am having a problem with my D-25s skipping too much. This unit is great but it is starting to skip more and more frequently now. It does not skip at the same area on every cd and it skips quite often (5-8 times in one track). I already tried lubing the sliding arms (the copper threaded bolt and stainless steel rod) with WD40 soaked on a Q-Tip but it did not do the trick. I couldn't find any other lubricant to use at my local stores so I ended using WD40 and that should work too right?

Any ideas on what I should do next? Is there a control pod for the laser intensity? Maybe I should try that next?

Apr 8, 2002 at 3:53 AM Post #2 of 19
pepsione - I'm very sorry that it's crapping up on you. I really hope that it's not defective. I've no idea what advice to give you, all I can offer is an alternative. Myself and many others are very satisfied with the late model Panasonic SL-CT570. It's certainly the best portable cd player I've ever used. The headphone output is powerful for a portable, and the line out is excellent. It's got no loss of quality ANTI-SKIP! And plays crappy cds very well. onecall.com has it on clearance for $80, but don't know if they ship to Canada. If you can't find one, kelly and Flumpus both think highly of the new SL-CT780 which should be widely available. Sorry again...
frown.gif

Have you tried a lens cleaning kit?

Apr 8, 2002 at 1:10 PM Post #3 of 19
If you bought it from Silicon Salvage, you have nothing to lose from contacting them and asking if they'll replace it.

I had two that skipped from the start, and they replaced both, but I contacted them immediately upon receipt.

Apr 8, 2002 at 3:31 PM Post #6 of 19
When I first received mine it never skipped, even when I was on the train. Now, it is starting to skip more and more. It seems to skip more when I first turn it on. This morning it skipped like 4 times on the first couple of songs and then it stopped and didn't skip through the rest of the CD. I guess it just needs to be warmed up.

Apr 8, 2002 at 6:09 PM Post #7 of 19
Does it also make a ticking sound on the track? This could be a tracking error. Older players tends to have a not so robust error correction. On some CD that scratched or have pin holes, they will tend to skip.

I have a CD that has a hole (you can see it by holding it up against the light). The D25 will skip.

Get a good clean CD as a reference and see how it play.

Apr 8, 2002 at 6:36 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by JML
If you bought it from Silicon Salvage, you have nothing to lose from contacting them and asking if they'll replace it.

I had two that skipped from the start, and they replaced both, but I contacted them immediately upon receipt.

I found the service from SS to be superb. I didn't use mine much for about four weeks after I bought it, but when I did I noticed it skipped sometimes. I called up and they sent me a new one right away. Do you have any way of proving you got the unit from them? Who knows, it can't hurt to give them a call.

Apr 8, 2002 at 7:18 PM Post #9 of 19
Well, I sent it to him double boxed, the first box being the one that SS sent it to me in. Left the original receipt in there, and he paid with MO from his bank I assume, so there's clearly proof. BTW, it never skipped abnormally on me, only on scratched CDs, and just wouldn't play CD-Rs right.

Apr 8, 2002 at 7:21 PM Post #10 of 19
I never had problems on CD-Rs unless the original CD (pristine) caused a problem -- which suggests a problem in either the laser or the correction circuit.

Apr 8, 2002 at 9:51 PM Post #11 of 19
Audio&Me

I know its not your fault because it only started skipping after 1 week i got it. At first I thought it was a bad cd like others have mentioned. But even when I put in some scratchless cds in, it still wouldn't play right.

So does anyone know where the control pod for controlling laser intensity is? If you have a broken or spare D-25S, do you think you can rip yours apart and try to locate it and report back? Who knows maybe it will even fix your unit too by helping others. (I seen other cdp fixed before by changing the laser intensity)

Apr 8, 2002 at 10:29 PM Post #13 of 19
Pepsi,
That WD40 will evaporate after a VERY short time (I tried using it to lube HP ink jets and it only worked for a few days). 3-in-one oil will work better and is available at Lowes and WalMart.

Also, http://www.action-electronics.com/caraudio.htm sells white-lithium grease for cheap.

I'm checking on control pod question.

(jbannow, mines been working fine for 4 months now.)

Apr 9, 2002 at 2:54 AM Post #14 of 19
I play cdr's of all brands, no problems with skipping, plays just fine.

Apr 9, 2002 at 3:41 AM Post #15 of 19
Thanks for the reassurance guys ... I've got my adapter from Radio Shack and my players come Wednesday. Hopefully I'll also have a good experience with the d-25s's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back