D-2000 or HFI-780 or HD-650/580 or MS2i or others?
Oct 28, 2008 at 10:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

KeItHlOu

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all, I am a new head-fi'er and saying hello to all of you!
atsmile.gif

Umm, I am using the Goldring DR150 and very happy with them so far, I use my Sony D-9 discman and a Corda Move to push them..so far so good.
The reason I don't use proper CDP and AMP is because my room is small and no space for that..shame
triportsad.gif

Well, I don't feel like a upgrade now because I got my DR150 just about 2 weeks and it's great phone for its price! But, just wondering, which of the headphones I stated above is suitable for: Pop, rock, indie, acoustic, R&B and hip hop? Very little classic too.
I like clear sound (good instrutment sepearation?) and wide soundstage.

I know D2000 and HFI-780 are close cans and HD-650/580 and MS2i are open cans so they can't compare directily but a lot of head-fi'ers said D2000 could do better than HD-650 so I'm quite interesting in it!
Besides, what about the HFI-780? They look good! And, somesay buy HFI-580 instead of 780 if I really want to buy 780...So, is it ture?

The MS2i, was once my 'dream headphone' but it seems too exciting for me..I like really comfortable feeling whem listening to music, so I am not too sure does the MS2i really suit me?

It is a shame I have no chance to try out any of those headphone right now..so, I am wondering, which headphone should I pruchase for my next step forward? I don't mean now but just want to know more!
L3000.gif

Oct 28, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #4 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by KeItHlOu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Corda Move portable amp for home use..but yes I don't have a Desktop amp, but anway, how does the AD700 perform?

Thanks.

FWIR, the AD700 sounds detailed, good instrument separation, wide soundstage, and light on bass. Here is a search for the AD700 that would give you a better idea. I don't know how well your amp works with various heaphones. A search for "move" should give you a better idea. FWIR, I'd probably want to go with the D2000 and mod it, but the Ultrasone may have a wider soundstage.

Oct 29, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIR, the AD700 sounds detailed, good instrument separation, wide soundstage, and light on bass. Here is a search for the AD700 that would give you a better idea. I don't know how well your amp works with various heaphones. A search for "move" should give you a better idea. FWIR, I'd probably want to go with the D2000 and mod it, but the Ultrasone may have a wider soundstage.

Oh, forgot to say I like bass too, so light bass headphone is not my goal. thanks anyway.

Is the MarkL mod hard to do? I never really tired any 'BIG' DIY thing..so no idea how to do it.

Sign, I think the best way is to try out myself but there's no chance here..
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 29, 2008 at 3:06 PM Post #9 of 30
very pleased with mine as stated in all my other posts ,bass is superb easily driven and the price is exellent , maybe they will increase the price soon at iheadphones like they did with the pro series (16 in stock when i bought 14 now)

Oct 29, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Antony L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
very pleased with mine as stated in all my other posts ,bass is superb easily driven and the price is exellent , maybe they will increase the price soon at iheadphones like they did with the pro series (16 in stock when i bought 14 now)

thanks for the info.
should I get HFI-580 of HFI-780?

They seems quite similar...

Oct 30, 2008 at 10:24 AM Post #11 of 30
never tried the 580s ,see they have a bigger 50mm driver and the blurb says suited to drummers and bass players so you may have to dig a bit deeper to get some more info. the 780s do every thing i wanted them to do i.e driven by a portable with a full detailed powerfull sound at a sensible price in uk.
maybe the ultrasone sponser forum could help

Oct 30, 2008 at 10:42 AM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by KeItHlOu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, forgot to say I like bass too, so light bass headphone is not my goal. thanks anyway.

If you like bass, then there is no contest -- of the headphones you mention, the HFI-780 will make you the happiest.
Guaranteed.
Great bass, without being excessive, or messing up the rest of the sound -- the mids and highs are there, too.
Just be sure to give them at least 200 hours burn-in. Trust me.
L3000.gif

Oct 30, 2008 at 2:01 PM Post #15 of 30
I had both at one time, and both sound good, but I sold the D2000, and got the D5000, which I also sold, later -- but, I have kept the 780, and will continue to do so.
The 780 is much more sturdy construction than the D2000/D5000, too, if that matters to you.
Any of them will sound good, though.
I just happen to like the HFI-780 best.
But, you might like the D2000 best.

Maybe an expert reviewer (which I am NOT) can do a detailed sound comparison for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back