D-10 playing problem
Dec 11, 2003 at 4:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Bobby C

Head-Fier
I love my office setup, a Sony D-10, a McCormack MID (5wpc) amp, Twisted Pair Designs cables, Etymotics (ER4Ps) phones, and a pair of efficient Omega TS3 speakers when I need them. All has been well for quite awhile, but earlier in the week, I put the D-10 on pause mode when someone came in to talk to me. I think I left it in pause overnight.

Anyhow, since that time whenever I try to play a CD, the unit fires up, I get the track number in the display and then the unit shuts down. I've tried changing tracks, etc., but no luck. Any ideas?

Luckily, I have a spare D-303, if I can find a powercord, I'll put it in play. Anyone know if the same cord can be used for a 303 as for the 10?

Thanks!
Bob

Dec 11, 2003 at 5:59 AM Post #2 of 6
Just a quick thought...

When you leave the player switched off, do you remove the power cord from it? If not, there is the potential that you just need to reset the player, by removing the power (there is still afaik a small draw taken from the PSU even when the Discman is switched off)

Good luck!

Dec 11, 2003 at 8:27 PM Post #3 of 6
Duncan,

I hadn't thought of that so when I got back in my office today, I unplugged the unit & then replugged. I threw a disk in & hit play - the disk spun for several seconds, and then stopped. I thought I'd try again & count the seconds so I hit play again & off it runs - it didn't stop this time! I'm not comfortable plugging in the interconnect while it was playing, so I stopped & unplugged, inserted the interconnect & fired it up again. Weird, this time the disk didn't even spin.

So I try several times plugging & unplugging things, no spin. Then I gave the unit a little side to side shake & it starts spinning again, but after a few seconds, it slows down, then stops & the unit powers off. I did this a few times, now it is running perfectly! Not wanting to mess w/ a good thing, I am now listening to Art Pepper's 'Hollywood All-Star Sessions' (disk 5), bliss has returned to my office! Who knows what will happen in 1 hour, but I'm happy for now.

So it appears to me that the problem may have something to do w/ the spinning mechanism, but who knows!

Thanks for your input, I'll be trying the side-side shake in the future, hope it works!

Bob

Dec 11, 2003 at 8:34 PM Post #4 of 6
As a matter of interest, how far into the CD was it initially when you placed it on pause overnight?

The only reason that I ask... I used to be terrible at doing that with my Marantz CD63SE... and in the end, it would barely play a disc until i relubed the pickup mechanism...

Just a thought.

Dec 11, 2003 at 9:31 PM Post #6 of 6
if its playing fine now (with a bit of gentle encouragement
wink.gif
) then it wouldn't harm... but do so very sparingly... also, see if there is any debris stuck to the wormgear...

Might not be a cure, but definetly shouldn't be (if administered correctly) detrimentel
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back