Cypher Labs Theorem 720
Jan 29, 2016 at 1:19 AM Post #421 of 476
Theorem vs Mojo (based on my ears)

Theorem
- solid bass
- better separation

Mojo
- Vocal and treble is improved but it has sibilance which my ears couldn't tolerate
- Bass is weak

Especially if you like strings instruments, I think Thorem sounds better because the strings instrument especially cello has deeper sound than Mojo

Jan 29, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #422 of 476
Theorem vs Mojo (based on my ears)

Theorem
- solid bass
- better separation

Mojo
- Vocal and treble is improved but it has sibilance which my ears couldn't tolerate
- Bass is weak

Especially if you like strings instruments, I think Thorem sounds better because the strings instrument especially cello has deeper sound than Mojo

+1 with the bold texts.

Feb 3, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #423 of 476
Hey all - quick question - I see the Theorem has a Balanced headphone out, I have the Audeze LCD-XC cans with a balanced cable that terminates in a 4 pin XLR round connection.  Where can I find a 4 pin XLR round to 4 pin XLR square adapter?  I've seen one pictured in this thread, but it never says where it was ordered.  I've done countless google searches and it seems to be a mythical connector.  Why so may different connectors - it's never the one you need :)

Thanks!

Feb 3, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #424 of 476
  Hey all - quick question - I see the Theorem has a Balanced headphone out, I have the Audeze LCD-XC cans with a balanced cable that terminates in a 4 pin XLR round connection.  Where can I find a 4 pin XLR round to 4 pin XLR square adapter?  I've seen one pictured in this thread, but it never says where it was ordered.  I've done countless google searches and it seems to be a mythical connector.  Why so may different connectors - it's never the one you need :)

Thanks!

I think this what you are looking for, tho i'm sure you can find other
http://www.cypherlabs.com/product/1910/

Feb 3, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #425 of 476
What about an adapter for a HD800 aftermarket balanced cable terminating in a round XLR 4-pin? Would the Theorem Audeze pigtail work? Anyone tried this or going balanced with their HD800s on the 720? Results? Impressions?

Feb 3, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #426 of 476

Thanks!

I use this http://r.ebay.com/q8t6Z2

Mar 2, 2016 at 5:29 AM Post #427 of 476
Hey everyone,
Currently building a portable rig from scratch. I currently mainly rely on IEMs 
Many sources say that the CL 720 produces a lot of hiss and is therefore not very good for IEM centric use. How bad is it? How black is the backdrop?
  • I know there won't be a problem with the ER4s i currently use, but for future proofing and potential new purchases (UERM, SD2, ATH R70x, etc.), I am not sure how the hiss will affect the versatility of the rig.
  • How complicated is it to setup / does it perform (as a desktop setup)?

The final rig would then probably look like this:
iPod Classic 160GB -> CL 720 DAP (-> another AMP w/ lower noise floor (for IEMs) ->(currently) ER4s
Although it would be very long lasting and future proof, it would be very expensive + very bulky (frequent flyer/on the go).

Currently weighing it against the Mini M8 (lighter)or even the HP-P1 as a cheaper option.

Do you guys have some experiences in this direction?
Thanks.
beerchug.gif

Mar 8, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #428 of 476
Currently running the Theorem 720 in my desktop set up as a DAC only from a source MacBook to a Schiit Asgard 2 and am very pleased with the results.  I wanted something that could be used both as a portable and desktop component until I could afford a dedicated reference quality DAC.

Set up was gravy with a cable from line out to the inputs on the Asgard 2.  I am waiting for a pair of MEE P1 IEMs to ship, and I am thinking that the higher than normal impedance for the P1s (50 ohms) will work great with the Theorem.

Hope that helps.  It's an absolute must have when I travel; I use it all the time...

Mar 29, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #429 of 476
...and after 75 hours of burn in, the Mee Pinacle P1's with the Theorem is spectacular.  With the P1's high impedance, there are times I am using the "Medium" gain setting on the Theorem 720.

With this combination I hear zero "hiss", massive soundstage, great separation, and the P1's have the "boomerang" sound signature I have come to prefer for casual listening.  I am really, really, happy with this combination!

May 12, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #431 of 476
May 22, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #432 of 476
Been wanting the Theorem 720, savings for it, looking for it (as i really want the copper brand new), found it... Finally after a long shipping it arrives for the weekend... It sounds soo good as well looks great too
bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 12, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #433 of 476
I heard the HE 1000 at a meet in Babylon NY and brought my THEOREM that I love but had to turn the volume up to max to hear most recordings and inadequate level for some. Very disappointing since I immediately fell in love with the HE 1000 and planned to buy it but still need a portable amp/DAC when traveling. Does anyone have experience with the HE 1000 and another more powerful amp/DAC that can drive the HE 1000 to higher levels of performance.

Jun 12, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #434 of 476
I heard the HE 1000 at a meet in Babylon NY and brought my THEOREM that I love but had to turn the volume up to max to hear most recordings and inadequate level for some. Very disappointing since I immediately fell in love with the HE 1000 and planned to buy it but still need a portable amp/DAC when traveling. Does anyone have experience with the HE 1000 and another more powerful amp/DAC that can drive the HE 1000 to higher levels of performance.

Did you try the balanced connection? And which gain setting?

Jun 12, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #435 of 476
Gain was set for highest output and used single ended not balanced. According to David Maudlin the HE 1000 requires more power to drive and suggested a tube amp, like the Prautes, or solid state class A of 8W or more. They are competing against the Stax which requires a high voltage amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back