Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Trio
May 20, 2015 at 7:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Toro

New Head-Fier
Today, I got a new toy - Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Trio, I paired it with my Fiio X5. I started it with my AKG K812, it sounded  a little bit more warm and tasted more rich than AlgoRhythm Duet. Since the K812 is so perfect of vocal, it doesn't give me much new experience than the Duet except it soften some headache high pitch noise from the songs. Then, I switched to Sennheiser HD800, it make a big difference for me. I always think the HD800 is extreme analytical and it is a monitor. After the HD800 was warmed by the Trio, It sound a lot better for me. The sound stage, clarity and all the details are still there but now it is more warm like a human not only a machine. So good. At the end , I switched to my AKG K3003i, similar to the K812, the only improvement is "soften some headache high pitch noise". It is important since the K3003i is very sensitive IEM. Based on my taste:

For enjoyment, I would like
               AlgoRhythm Duet with AKG K812 or K3003i
               AlgoRhythm Trio with HD800 or K3003i

For analysis, I would like 
               AlgoRhythm Duet with HD800 or K3003i

May 22, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #3 of 14
  Today, I got a new toy - Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Trio, I paired it with my Fiio X5. I started it with my AKG K812, it sounded  a little bit more warm and tasted more rich than AlgoRhythm Duet. Since the K812 is so perfect of vocal, it doesn't give me much new experience than the Duet except it soften some headache high pitch noise from the songs. Then, I switched to Sennheiser HD800, it make a big difference for me. I always think the HD800 is extreme analytical and it is a monitor. After the HD800 was warmed by the Trio, It sound a lot better for me. The sound stage, clarity and all the details are still there but now it is more warm like a human not only a machine. So good. At the end , I switched to my AKG K3003i, similar to the K812, the only improvement is "soften some headache high pitch noise". It is important since the K3003i is very sensitive IEM. Based on my taste:

For enjoyment, I would like
               AlgoRhythm Duet with AKG K812 or K3003i
               AlgoRhythm Trio with HD800 or K3003i

For analysis, I would like
               AlgoRhythm Duet with HD800 or K3003i

cool thanks for the thread, I loved the Duet, it has huge WOW factor to it, everything I want in an amp, except for the overly bright treble? which made it fatiuging,

so to hear that the Trio is like that Duet - the bright treble, is encouraging! looks like I will be getting one soon,

did you ever listen to the Duet in balanced mode? unfortunately I never did while I had it, so I always wondered if the balanced out would have helped with the bright treble?

May 22, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #5 of 14

I never try the balanced mode also. I have Fiio X3, X3II, X5 and AK120. None of them have the balanced output. I am waiting the Fiio X7 which will support the balanced output. 

May 22, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #6 of 14
I described it more as a Theorem on tubes

never heard the Theorem, did it have hiss with your listening?

have you ever heard the Duet?

I'm also very interested in hearing ALO's new RX, at $300 I can afford to give it a quick listen,

time to start selling off old gear, the bad thing about listening, is keeping it when it winds up being a great piece of gear?

Quote:

I never try the balanced mode also. I have Fiio X3, X3II, X5 and AK120. None of them have the balanced output. I am waiting the Fiio X7 which will support the balanced output.

when you get the X7, will be interesting to hear your impressions between balanced and non? folks say there is a big difference between the two,

I am ssooo tempted to getting the Duet again, and this time going balanced, but then I'll have to get the -dB to go along with it?

time to sell my Decwares Taboo MKIII? that should cover some more gear, ouch, lol,

May 23, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #7 of 14

I'm also very interested in hearing ALO's new RX, at $300 I can afford to give it a quick listen,

Theorem hisses with sensitive IEMs, the Trio does too, the Duet only a little, like the RX.
I have all these units

May 23, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #9 of 14

Theorem hisses with sensitive IEMs, the Trio does too, the Duet only a little, like the RX.
I have all these units

first off may I say I am officially jealous, lucky dog, you have theTheorem, Trio, Duet, and the new RX!!! cowabunga,

so how soes the Trio stack up against the Duet and the new RX? as I have never heard the Theorem, you referred to  the Trio as a Theorem on tubes, how does the Theorem stack up against the Duet and the RX?

I charged up my RX MKII last night and gave it a listen along with the CLAS-R, which I only listened to the MKII thru the old CLAS, and I fell in love with all over again, it is now going into my portable rig, made my HP-V1 sound congested, ggrrrr ugh, lol, as I was really lovin my portable tube amps, the Continental V3 and HP-V1,

so in pulling out my old lying around Rx MKII, gave me that WOW factor that I haven't had in a while, I'd forgotten! and set this beauty aside for other amps? I haven't paired this puppy up with anything since my original CLAS was replaced with the -R, quite a long while ago,

the clearity of it, and it has great bass, with an awesome soundstage and great instrument seperation, and imaging, WOW! and to give a boost I'll turn on my ZOv1, which I will always swear by! that thing is the perfect boost beast, not that I am a bass head? but I am, the ZO has a perfect way of adding weight to the music without losing what's already there, kind of like the reviews on the new RX from http://headphone.guru/alo-rx/, the new RX passes along the greta sound without and hardly any color, which is going to be diferent from my MKII?

off topic, lol, but do or did you ever have the MKII, and if so can you support what the Guru posted about the RX? or how do or did to/by your memory compare the old MKII to the new RX?

and do you listen to or heard the Duet balanced and unbalenced? and does it make any difference with the treble? if so then I will be getting the Duet again for certain, but will go balanced this time, I realy regret not getting a balanced cable to listen to it with, bad audio habits of not being more thurough when reviewing my audio gear? I'm missing out, ggrrr ugh, lol,

looks like I will have to start rotating my amps more, to make sure I am not over looking synergistic diamonds in the ruff, it is all about synergy, gear that sounds good with other certain gear, and not with other certain gear, well you get it,

thanks!

Hmmm I have a dead silent, pure black background with the duet and my jh13's.

not that I had sensative iems while I had the Duet, unless the ASG-2s are considered sensative, and I don't think so, but I don't remeber any hiss to it either when I had it, only that the treble was too bright and made listeneing fatuiging, which sucked because the Duet other then it being too bright was the best amp I'd ever heard, better then my MKII,

May 23, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #10 of 14
I can not really support what the Guru reviewer said on the Rx. With 75% of my customs there is way too much hiss that is audible during playback.
The thing is not everyone can actually hear hiss, amazing isn't it? To me the Rx in combination with sensitive BA's hisses too much, which is understandable seeing it was tuned with (and as a result for) Dynamic driver monitors. And as a side effect the volume range is too narrow (it gets too loud too quick) for multiple BA monitors as well. It really depends on the monitors you'll be using with it, I don't get why there's no mention of hiss in other reviews, but that's just my opinion. The Sound quality of the Rx is really good though.

My review of the Trio will be up on my site in a few weeks, the Rx review was posted a few weeks ago: http://www.headfonia.com/alo-audio-rx-your-iems-best-buddy/

May 23, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #11 of 14
yes I hear what your saying about the hiss for higher sensative iems/customs, and now that I know who you are, I could have made the connection, being it's listed along with your profile name, dur, lol, thanks for the link to the RX review, I've read alot of your reviews! thanks my friend!

so if anyone should know about hissing along with amps/sources/dacs, it would be you! you have an arsenal at your disposal! that is ssoooo ka-sweet! well I know some or alot was on loan, but still, holy of holies, lol,

but I will be using my ASG-2s, I have been hooked on them for quite a while now, so they should chime well with the RX,

your review helped me be certain about getting the the RX, I put my order thru today with Ken,

I'll wait for more reviews/chat on the Trio, but in the meantime I will be selling and saving up for one, thanks Ultrinferno for your input here, and for all of your helpful and very contributing reviews on Headfonia!

May 24, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #13 of 14

time to start selling off old gear, the bad thing about listening, is keeping it when it winds up being a great piece of gear?

when you get the X7, will be interesting to hear your impressions between balanced and non? folks say there is a big difference between the two,

I am ssooo tempted to getting the Duet again, and this time going balanced, but then I'll have to get the -dB to go along with it?

time to sell my Decwares Taboo MKIII? that should cover some more gear, ouch, lol,

Sure, after i get the X7, I can provide some more info. However, it will only cover the HD800 since the K3003i and K812 doesn't support the Balanced input. It will be fun to try the HD800 with balanced input.

For me, after I played with the Trio for a few days, I think I the duet is the "Must" and the "Trio" is a nice to have. 

The balanced input for me should be not much difference. It is because I am using the customized 7N Copper (8 Wires) cable to connect the the DAP and AMP. The cable is really short and the most pure copper. It make no difference with the balanced input cable. I hear no hiss noise at all with the Duet. The balanced input make a significant difference if the cable is long. 

May 25, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #14 of 14
sounds good Toro, I appreciate the info,

and yea I will probably get another Duet in the sales thread, or give the Theorem a try one day, alot of great amps out there now,

just a matter of finding/learning what synergizes best with what other gear? and what sound signiture works/sounds best for you, and being/getting schooled on it all, from quality of recordings to source to dac or amps, along with what head gear to use? planar vs. electrostatic,

don't foget about cables, copper vs silver vs gold, and every combo in between?

Head-Fi is great for getting help in being educated, and lord knows there is alot of great gear on the market right now to choose from, and more everyday, thanks Ken, too many choices not enought ears, ggrrr ugh, lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back