cycling w/ IEMs
Jun 13, 2005 at 1:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

cpw

Headphoneus Supremus
Interested in knowing who does this and which IEMs work best.
The Etys seem very microphonic and I'm wishing I had kept my e2c.
I'm really feeling like I need the music to help me on the long, grinding climbs.
(P.S. If you want to talk about how dangerous this is and why it shouldn't be done, go start your own thread.)
Thx,
CPW

Jun 13, 2005 at 2:57 PM Post #2 of 21
Hi Lewis,
I used my Shure E3's with pretty good success. I agree that the microphonic cables of the ety's are not so great for riding, but I do know that Sierra BMW in Sparks carries the ER4's in stock and recomends them to their customers for riding.

Cheers,
Jeremy

Jun 13, 2005 at 3:10 PM Post #5 of 21
I'm talkin' bicycling.
I wonder if the motorcycle helmet helps dampen the vibes through the cable? I can't imagine my er4s under a m/c helmet; they stick out too far and I'd be afraid of pushing them through my eardrum & into my brains!
I've found the etys to be so microphonic that I really only use them for air travel (where they're perfect). I even find the microphonics to be distracting when walking. I'm going to buy a new bicycle helmet in the next few days and I'll certainly try the etys since I already have 'em but I don't have much hope they'll work for me.
I'm thinkin' iPod shuffle w/ Sure e2c might be a great combo for bicycling. I doubt I'd play music on the decscent as the feedback of sound from tires is kinda important- but for the uphill slog it could make the time pass faster.
CPW

Jun 13, 2005 at 6:06 PM Post #7 of 21
I use my E2's all the time when I commute to work on my bike, and they work just great.

Jun 13, 2005 at 6:35 PM Post #8 of 21
I have been riding about two thousand miles per season for about fourteen years. I never had a near death experience until last Thursday. Even if you don't compromise one of your most important senses it is dangerous out there on the road for a cyclist. Don't do it...I'll go start my own thread now...

Jun 13, 2005 at 8:54 PM Post #9 of 21
Isn't cycling with high isolating 'phones dangerous? I road cycled constantly for four years in high school, and I still had plenty of dicey situations with drivers without blinding any of my senses. I agree with DLeeWebb, don't do it.

Jun 13, 2005 at 10:24 PM Post #10 of 21
I am thinking about getting some low end iems for biking. Something like the ex51/71, md33, and that pannasonic one. I think that the E2cs would isolate too much for me, but I think that i have pretty good reaction time plus I am a decent biker. Anyway I think that music realy helps you when doing activities like that because it gives you an addrenilin boost.

Jun 13, 2005 at 11:32 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmmmcheese
I am thinking about getting some low end iems for biking. Something like the ex51/71, md33, and that pannasonic one. I think that the E2cs would isolate too much for me, but I think that i have pretty good reaction time plus I am a decent biker. Anyway I think that music realy helps you when doing activities like that because it gives you an addrenilin boost.

Can't believe I'm saying this...

What about the Sony MDR-EX81? The EX81 would be like the EX51/71 but maybe the clip would help keep it on your ears...

Jun 13, 2005 at 11:59 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by 450
Can't believe I'm saying this...

What about the Sony MDR-EX81? The EX81 would be like the EX51/71 but maybe the clip would help keep it on your ears...

Ya I didn't of that. Those would really work well. Especially for mountain biking. They would stay in really nice. lol

Jun 14, 2005 at 5:48 AM Post #13 of 21
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more a non-isolating headphone of some sort that would allow outside noise to get in might be a good option. Top quality sound isn't such a priority for this application- at least for me.
What is there that clips to ears but doesn't interfere w/ helmets?
Saw the MDR-EX81. Might work. Other ideas?
Thx,
CPW

Jun 14, 2005 at 3:08 PM Post #15 of 21
headphones and cycling don't mix in my opinion. I wore my E5s once and was terrified I was going to get run over. If you really want music how about regular earbuds like the Sennheiser MX400.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back