CX95 + CX550 Appreciation Thread
Jun 4, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #47 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by astroid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, tip = try Sony tips with the CX95 , opens the soundstage even more and are much more comfy.

Sorry, but do you mean the newer Sony hybrid silicons? I bought some but they would not fit on my CX-95s.
confused.gif

Jun 4, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #48 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread really does demonstrate just how subjective impressions of phones can be. I've had my CX95s for a few months. I listen to them for hours at work unamped out of my 2nd gen. 32 GB Ipod Touch. The plug goes all the way into the socket without any problem. I have not experienced a hint of sibilance. I would describe this phone as quite balanced but lacking some treble sparkle. I do not regard the phone as bassy. I think it does bass rather well and I am not a bass-head. I find this phone a non-fatiguing listen. I also wonder why anyone would consider wearing the cable over the ear when the phone is clearly designed to be worn cable down.

FWIW, I agree with most of iponderous' comments, except for perhaps the bass is a tad bloated but still fine in my book. I also use a Sansa Clip for my source, unamped. However, if I try to wear the ear pieces the way they are intended (wires down) the seal on the tips tends to work loose. That is excaberated by the fact they don't come with a lariat. So I wear them so the wires are up and over my ears, and fashioned a lariat of sorts from a twist tie. Works wonders, but they only work that way by reversing left and right.

Jun 9, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #49 of 70
well some quick impressions fo the cx95

well ive playedwith the tips and so far the best ive found are the el cheapo ebay ones i love on everything

the bass on the cx95 is much less abundant than i was expecting but its really rather nice, im not a bass junky so i really really like the level. its fairly tight and well controlled. i really like it.

mids, well they are really very very good, so much better than i expected, a bit IE8 like in its breathyness, so much colder and dryer than i thought it was going to be and i really like.

treble, well this is a bit IE8 like too unfortunatly it just cant pull it of with the same resolution of the IE8. the treble is over abundant for me but worse its harsh. the treble just grates on some songs and feels like its constantly pulling every S and T towards sibilance. not outright SSSSSSSSSS but just enough briefly to stab my ears. god i wish the treble would go away.

if the treble was toned down id really love these i think but im quite treble sensitive and there is just too much here and not well enough done to get away with it like on the IE8 or triple.fi.

oh and *** how long is the cord on these things, sennheiser did you trhink we are all 12 foot tall trolls or something?

Jun 9, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #50 of 70
Not too much sibilance on mine though, but I did remember you having sibilance problem with the IE 7 as well. Maybe my ears can't detect as much.
wink.gif
I agree that they are miles behind the IE 8 in terms of resolution and detail. Mids are definitely the best thing about the CX 95.

Extension cord length does sucks. I use my Sony extension cord with it.

Jun 9, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #51 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well some quick impressions fo the cx95

well ive playedwith the tips and so far the best ive found are the el cheapo ebay ones i love on everything

the bass on the cx95 is much less abundant than i was expecting but its really rather nice, im not a bass junky so i really really like the level. its fairly tight and well controlled. i really like it.

mids, well they are really very very good, so much better than i expected, a bit IE8 like in its breathyness, so much colder and dryer than i thought it was going to be and i really like.

treble, well this is a bit IE8 like too unfortunatly it just cant pull it of with the same resolution of the IE8. the treble is over abundant for me but worse its harsh. the treble just grates on some songs and feels like its constantly pulling every S and T towards sibilance. not outright SSSSSSSSSS but just enough briefly to stab my ears. god i wish the treble would go away.

if the treble was toned down id really love these i think but im quite treble sensitive and there is just too much here and not well enough done to get away with it like on the IE8 or triple.fi.

oh and *** how long is the cord on these things, sennheiser did you trhink we are all 12 foot tall trolls or something?

Weird. I had the very same experience with the CX95, very harsh highs. Otherwise, pretty good. I know others have said I must be nuts, just glad I am not alone. And mine are well burned-in. I am giving them to a friend who has CX300s. He may not hear the sibilaince, but even if he does, it's not costing him a dime. I tried all manner of tips, foamies, the cheap biflanges, stock singles, etc. No good.

Jun 9, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #52 of 70
well on the 7 it just a few songs it happened with but on the cx95 its more or less everything. thing is it never really goes all out sibilant, its like its starts with that harsh hard note then its stops before it gets carried away. its just really really hard on my ears which is a shame as everything else it does very impressively.

like it was bad enough for me to actually use the eq on the ipod today, which of course killed the mids because the ipod eq is worse than useless.

Jun 9, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #54 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Weird. I had the very same experience with the CX95, very harsh highs. Otherwise, pretty good. I know others have said I must be nuts, just glad I am not alone. And mine are well burned-in. I am giving them to a friend who has CX300s. He may not hear the sibilaince, but even if he does, it's not costing him a dime. I tried all manner of tips, foamies, the cheap biflanges, stock singles, etc. No good.

well i totally hearing the same as you on this one, the highs are just too harsh and too abundant. if there was less treble, like sony do, then it hides that the IEM cant really do it terribly well but on these its so forward and in your face.

still massivly better than ibuds and other such dross but not for my ears, though idare say those who love treble happy phones will like them far more than i. totally see why soozieq had a pair of these as a back up set, they have the same kinda sound as the IE8 but without the same precision and accuracy (and as much bass)

Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only iPod Touch EQ I ever use is acoustic, with the Westone 3s (and the tri-flanges, which darken the W3 treble). Actually sounds good. But none of the others, at all.

well i never really use the eq so dont know waht most of them do bar treble booster/reducer and bass booster/reducer, i just dont like eq'ing things

Jun 20, 2009 at 9:42 AM Post #55 of 70
Quote:

well i totally hearing the same as you on this one, the highs are just too harsh and too abundant. if there was less treble, like sony do, then it hides that the IEM cant really do it terribly well but on these its so forward and in your face.

still massivly better than ibuds and other such dross but not for my ears, though idare say those who love treble happy phones will like them far more than i. totally see why soozieq had a pair of these as a back up set, they have the same kinda sound as the IE8 but without the same precision and accuracy (and as much bass)

well i never really use the eq so dont know waht most of them do bar treble booster/reducer and bass booster/reducer, i just dont like eq'ing things

Interesting. How does the treble extension of the CX95's compare to the SE530's in your opinion?

Jun 20, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #56 of 70
erm just different planets

530 is there, detailed but very subdued. its not the most detailed either in the world but its still vastly beter than the 95. however if you like lots of treble its well noted its not the IEM for you.

the 95 has lots of treble but it doesnt have the precision or clarity to deal with it properly. treble is the hardest thing to get spot on i think is the most noticeable when something just cant quite make it. now im not saying their ability to deal with treble is terrible or worse than many others but others push the treble further away so its not quite so prominent. on the 95 its right there up front and in your face like the IE8 but it just cant compete with its 4 times as expensive sibling. its trying to be excellent and just fails for me.

now im far more treble sensitive than most and im sure this is why im finding it to be more of an issue than others but for me the treble on the IE8 is tiring but on the 95 it just was too harsh on my ears for long term listening.

the 530 treble in comparison is practically non existent but dear god oh so much gentler on the ears.

im sure if i used not an ipod so something with a functional EQ then it could have been toned down a little or if you like many like a lot of treble then they would be fine but for me just no.

Jun 20, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #57 of 70
Quote:

erm just different planets

530 is there, detailed but very subdued. its not the most detailed either in the world but its still vastly beter than the 95. however if you like lots of treble its well noted its not the IEM for you.

the 95 has lots of treble but it doesnt have the precision or clarity to deal with it properly. treble is the hardest thing to get spot on i think is the most noticeable when something just cant quite make it. now im not saying their ability to deal with treble is terrible or worse than many others but others push the treble further away so its not quite so prominent. on the 95 its right there up front and in your face like the IE8 but it just cant compete with its 4 times as expensive sibling. its trying to be excellent and just fails for me.

now im far more treble sensitive than most and im sure this is why im finding it to be more of an issue than others but for me the treble on the IE8 is tiring but on the 95 it just was too harsh on my ears for long term listening.

the 530 treble in comparison is practically non existent but dear god oh so much gentler on the ears.

im sure if i used not an ipod so something with a functional EQ then it could have been toned down a little or if you like many like a lot of treble then they would be fine but for me just no.

Thanks for responding. I don't regard myself as someone who has a predilection for headphones with dominant highs but I do have the CX95's, and I haven't experienced any sibilance issues or problems with their treble presentation. I have a set of SE530's on order and I am aware of their reputation for treble roll-off. I'm hoping that I'm not going to find their treble presentation too recessed but I guess I'll know soon enough.

Jun 20, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #58 of 70
oh well if there is one thing that works wonders with the 530 is its ability to respond well to the EQ. if you want more treble(and i suspect you might) just EQ it in. for me treble boost on the ipods ****y EQ then give more treble than i want but others think it perfect.

Jun 20, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #59 of 70
Quote:

oh well if there is one thing that works wonders with the 530 is its ability to respond well to the EQ. if you want more treble(and i suspect you might) just EQ it in. for me treble boost on the ipods ****y EQ then give more treble than i want but others think it perfect.

That's far from reassuring as they'll be coupled with my ipod. All will be revealed or recessed next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back