CX300 Users - do you really like ?
Jan 24, 2007 at 1:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Happytab

Head-Fier
I have had mine about a week and I am disapointed - bass is so punchy it feels like someone is punching me in the ear drum.

Fit is not as comfortable as an earbud.

Sound lacks warmth - doesn't make me want to grab my ipod.

What is everyone else's experience ?

Jan 24, 2007 at 1:32 PM Post #2 of 12
opinions are very divergent with the CX300s and i'm not talking something like "too much bass" versus "not enough bass" which you hear often and obviously comes down to the individuals preference towards bass. i mean divergent as in "these things are sibilance monsters" where i have heard 0 sibilance with mine. i even queued up a bunch of songs that are prone to sibilance - zilch. nothing.

so, with all that being said - i really like the CX300s. i consider them a full notch below my v-moda vibes and jbl 220s but for what i got them for ($29 shipped) they far out performed my expectations. especially after 9 hours of burn-in with some pink noise, the bass calmed down and mine opened up a bit. the highs are pretty rolled off but for the music i listen to - that isn't an issue (forget 'em if you listen to classical and jazz). for me they are perfect for traveling since they offer a decent amount of isolation.

oh, and one other thing that is totally opposite to your experience: i find these to be THE most comfortable canalphones. i've slept with them in a number of times.

Jan 24, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeZ5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't own CX300's and probably never will. But I just can't help asking "fake vs real?"

Steve

Tat is a really good question - I got them from an Amazon reseller which would leave a huge doubt in my mind but then they were in proper packaging and none of the tell tale signs of a fake were present.

So who knows - maybe they are a good fake - I guess I will never know.

Jan 24, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #5 of 12
i've owned and still own a pair of cx300 for over 1/2 yrs now and i agree with and second what warrior said. i too find the mids recessed and the highs rolled off and havnt heard the dreaded sibilance that many wrote off. OTOH, the bass are totally intrusive making the cx300 very unbalanced IMO.

on the plus side, they sound wayyyy better than stock ipod buds and are super comfy with very good isolation. for the money, they make decent spare/throw in gymbag cans although if isolation/closed iznt an issue, the koss ksc75 PWNs it (and then some) for 1/2 the money. go figure
icon10.gif

Jan 24, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #6 of 12
going back to the real/fake issue - the only strange thing about mine is that the rubber at the top of the wire (just before it goe into the earpeice is slightly yellowed (I have the white ones and it was like this when I got it so I know its not earwax). Might be nothing but who knows.

Jan 24, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #7 of 12
Have to agree, they do have a bit too much bass and rolled highs and a struggling midrange, which gets worse when amped (perverse i know, I normally only use my amp with my hd215s, but I thought id see what they sounded like).
A good EQ will sort most of the problems, and they do sound a lot better than most bundled 'phones.

Jan 24, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #8 of 12
To my ears they are loudness monsters.

OTOH, they are very comfortable, easy to insert and they isolate reasonably well. After some serious EQing with my MuVo I managed to make them sound quite pleasing.

Regards,

L.

Jan 24, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #9 of 12
I seem to like mine fine. The sound is a bit bass heavy but it's a fun headphone I use when I work out.

The fit is very comfortable for me, much more comfortable than my old Shure E4Cs and doesn't fall out like normal iBuds. So I've been pretty with my pair.

Jan 25, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #10 of 12
I also found my set to be rolled off. I have since bought E2c and have relegated my cx300 to my portable dvd player case (they sound great with movies) it's nice to always have headphones available for movies in the car. One thing I will say is the CX-300 are more comfortable than the E2C for long periods of time.

Jan 30, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #11 of 12
Just an update on the CX300's - I tried an AB test last night with my wifes stock Sony buds (my apple ones are on there way out so not a fair comparison).

Anyway I was quite suprised when I plugged in the buds after having the CX300's in for a while - firstly I needed to turn the volume right up and secondly the bass was missing.

So I realise they sound better than stock buds but there is still something in the sound signature that does not appeal - I think I am going to live with them for a couple of months and see if I can get used to the closed soundstage and blocked up feeling I get when wearing them.

Jan 31, 2007 at 10:46 AM Post #12 of 12
I noticed a company called soundwise selling an earphone that look very similar to the cx300. I actually have Soundwise earphones and rate them very highly. Is the cx300 and the Soundwise x3 the same earphone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back