CX300 or..?
Jun 15, 2008 at 5:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

oxi

New Head-Fier
My CX300s have died on me recently and I'm in the market for a new pair of earbuds for around the same price range. I like the bass-heavy CX300s but if there's anything that would give me a superior sound quality and a less muddy sound I'm willing to give it a shot. Currently looking at the CX400 or Denon AHC551, can anybody give me a comparison or their thoughts on these two?

If the sound quality isn't that much of a difference I think I might just get another pair of CX300s.

Thanks

Jun 15, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #2 of 6
i can only comment on the cx300 since i don't own and haven't heard any of the others. the cx300 are definitely bass heavy which, at times, can protrude into the mids causing them to sound a bit muddy. there's also the veil given the warmer signature. they aren't bad phones, but i imagine you'll receive suggestions for iem's other than the cx300. to hopefully be more helpful, i've provided some links that might be of interest to you.

MacUser: Product Reviews: Denon AH-C551
There's even a mention of the cx300 in this review.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/vso...ahc551-319653/
This thread never really took off, but there's one positive post about the c551 provided.

best of luck to you.

Jun 15, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #3 of 6
I have had the CX-300 and AH-C551. I liked the CX-300, but the bass was too muddy.
The AH-C551 has slightly less bass (definitely not light on bass), but it is much better controlled. Their fit is similar to the CX-300, but they are made of metal, and are slightly heavier. The cord is short, but has an extension to give it about 8inches more length than the CX-300. The extension connector adds a little weight hanging from the cord, and the cord itself is thicker than the CX-300. I could not get a good seal with the tips that came with the AH-C551. They come with tips that look like the ones on the CX-300, but they are made of thinner material. I swapped the tips from my CX-300 and was able to get a good seal.
Overall, I am much happier with the sound quality of the AH-C551 and highly recommend them in the <$100 price range.

Scott

Jun 15, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by oxi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just finished reading the reviews and put my order down. Thanks!

i hope you'll post your impressions when they arrive. i know we are all interested in what folks around here like/dislike about these phones. enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back