CX300 or V-MODA Bass Freq Earbuds
Sep 14, 2009 at 10:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

chrir

New Head-Fier
which one is better?
i can get them for around the same price $16
i currently have the shure se110 and i dont like how it fits or the fact that it doesnt have enough bass
i need a headphones for rock and hip hop music
which one of these do u think is better
or can u guys reccamend one better then these two
beyersmile.png
thanks

Sep 15, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #3 of 21
I've had a pair of CX300s for a couple of months. I'm fairly happy with them, especially at the price. But bass is one thing they don't do well. It's possible that my ears are the problem; maybe they just don't fit me that well. But I've tried several different tips, and even a mod suggested by another Head-fier that involves using foam earplugs as tips. Bass (and isolation) were both improved by the mod, but isolation more than bass. Bass is still weak.

I say this as a non-basshead; if you are looking for lots of bass, I suggest you look elsewhere.

Sep 15, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had a pair of CX300s for a couple of months. I'm fairly happy with them, especially at the price. But bass is one thing they don't do well. It's possible that my ears are the problem; maybe they just don't fit me that well. But I've tried several different tips, and even a mod suggested by another Head-fier that involves using foam earplugs as tips. Bass (and isolation) were both improved by the mod, but isolation more than bass. Bass is still weak.

I say this as a non-basshead; if you are looking for lots of bass, I suggest you look elsewhere.

Wow. This blows my mind. The CX300 have so much bass that it is a tad overpowering. I have to assume that you are not getting any sort of seal on these. A complaint that the CX300 has no bass is not something I would have expected to ever read in my life!

To the OP: The CX300 are comfortable, have good, clean sound, and plenty of bass. I personally feel they need just a touch more midrange to balance it out, but what can you expect for the price? I use these with the largest size tips while my wife uses them with the smallest.

Sep 15, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcorban /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow. This blows my mind. The CX300 have so much bass that it is a tad overpowering. I have to assume that you are not getting any sort of seal on these. A complaint that the CX300 has no bass is not something I would have expected to ever read in my life!

My impressions certainly run counter to most of what I've read on Head-Fi about the CX300s. But switching from them to my PortaPros underscores my findings; the PortaPros, to my ears, offer more extended lows, and better bass detail as well.

I know; this is curious. The PortaPros, while offering strong bass, aren't by any means basshead phones. But they seem much better on the low end to me than do the CX300s.

As for the seal issue, I really don't know; I understand the importance of a good seal. I've had other IEMs (notably the original ER6's, no "i") and the Ety's in particular were quite good on the bottom when properly inserted. When I use the CX300s with foam earplugs adapted as tips, the seal feels physically secure and stable. Isolation from outside noise is noticeably improved in comparison to the stock tips, which suggests that this approach gives a good seal. But the heavy bass that others have commented on simply isn't there for me.

But I do agree with you that these things are a steal at the price; I think they are down to about $16 bucks (!) at J&R. I paid about $20 for them a couple of months ago.

Sep 15, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcorban /img/forum/go_quote.gif

To the OP: The CX300 are comfortable, have good, clean sound, and plenty of bass. I personally feel they need just a touch more midrange to balance it out, but what can you expect for the price? I use these with the largest size tips while my wife uses them with the smallest.

wow i really don't know what to get now as some people say the cx300 have bass and others say it lacks
considering i have the shure se110 and don't care about isolation that much as i will be using these on the train
and i am looking more for bass, which one do u guys think will be best?
the se110s literally have almost no bass at all

Sep 16, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrir /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow i really don't know what to get now as some people say the cx300 have bass and others say it lacks
considering i have the shure se110 and don't care about isolation that much as i will be using these on the train
and i am looking more for bass, which one do u guys think will be best?
the se110s literally have almost no bass at all

I can't comment on the SE110s, because I haven't heard them. But I do have to admit that I am in the minority around here as far as my opinion of the CX300's low-end is concerned. I have no problem deferring to others when I seem to be completely outnumbered, for what it's worth. I am far from infallible.

I can tell you that I have been using the CX300s as my primary portable for noisy listening environments (the PortaPros just don't offer sufficient isolation) and I have been quite pleased with their sound. J&R has them for $16.99, including free gound shipping. Not sure how long the free shipping will be offered, but at that price, they are a very good deal in any event.

Also keep in mind that my experience with them may have been dictated by peculiarities of my ear canal; IEMs are funny that way. Some people can't even use them because they are so uncomfortable in their ears.

If you do decide to give them a try, I would be very interested in your opinion of them.

Sep 16, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #9 of 21
Depends on what your preference is exactly. I've owned both and it comes down to quality vs. quantity. Neither of them have bass that can't be improved (significantly) but to me the Senn's had more bass. Not by how low they can reproduce the sound, but just in sheer throbbing aural assault. You certainly can't miss it.

the V-moda's don't have the sheer throbbing bass quantity of the senn's, but it is of a slightly better quality. A bit more separation between notes; easier to distinguish between bass notes though no lack of quantity as well. If I were to choose I'd go for the V-moda.

And that's one man's opinion!

Sep 16, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #10 of 21
Having not heard the CX300 take this with a grain of salt...the Bass Freqs are terrible. Sounds like you have your ear next to a bad subwoofer. No highs to speak of and while there is lots of bass it is muddy and very unresolved. I am a true bass head, but I would rather listen to something with no bass than the V-modas.

Sep 19, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by SantinoSan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having not heard the CX300 take this with a grain of salt...the Bass Freqs are terrible. Sounds like you have your ear next to a bad subwoofer. No highs to speak of and while there is lots of bass it is muddy and very unresolved. I am a true bass head, but I would rather listen to something with no bass than the V-modas.

i really dont know what to get now as it turns out that most people have different issues with both the cx300 and the bass freq

i think i might just try the bass freqs as most people say that they have bass, unlike the cx300 where some say it has too much and others say there is no bass at all

Sep 19, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #12 of 21
I only used the CX300 for about a month. I couldn't stand the cable microphonics. It's the worst for any IEM I've tried. They also didn't isolate well although I think you can by Comply tips for them now which should help. Might also tame the bass somewhat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SantinoSan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My wife is hard of hearing and can only hear bass, her hearing goes to near zero around 200Hz and higher. I started a thread asking which IEM has the most bloated, overwhelming bass and the majority recommendation was the Bass Freq. I bought them and they're perfect for her. I've never bothered trying them.

Oct 31, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #13 of 21
I got the bass freqs and i regret getting them
compared to the se110s the bass freq sounds horrible in terms of bass and they really dont fit well
i now realize that the se110s dont fit as bad as i thought, and i think i should get an around ear headphones now

Oct 31, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrir /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got the bass freqs and i regret getting them
compared to the se110s the bass freq sounds horrible in terms of bass and they really dont fit well
i now realize that the se110s dont fit as bad as i thought, and i think i should get an around ear headphones now

i kinda agree, but for different reasons. the original vibes had tragic build quality issues, the pair i reviewed broke after 2 weeks. the cx300 is regarded to be 'The' most counterfeited headphones on the market .. so good luck with that!

personally with $16, i'd buy a pair of comply tips for your shure's. you have to understand that the Shure's are monitors, not bright sounding commercial headphones. I know the Shure faithful hates the SE110's, but i grew to love them.

Comply™ Foam Replacement Tips/Earbuds for Shure® SE Series (110,115,210,310,420,530)

Nov 4, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by captian73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i kinda agree, but for different reasons. the original vibes had tragic build quality issues, the pair i reviewed broke after 2 weeks. the cx300 is regarded to be 'The' most counterfeited headphones on the market .. so good luck with that!

personally with $16, i'd buy a pair of comply tips for your shure's. you have to understand that the Shure's are monitors, not bright sounding commercial headphones. I know the Shure faithful hates the SE110's, but i grew to love them.

Comply™ Foam Replacement Tips/Earbuds for Shure® SE Series (110,115,210,310,420,530)

thanks
are the comply tips a big difference in terms of fit and comfort compared to the stock foam tips that come with the shures?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back