CVJ IEMs thread
Aug 28, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #31 of 108
So, who is also getting a ZAX to compare with CS8? :)

Aug 28, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #32 of 108
I bought the CVJ CSN from Amazon, but I'm returning it. It's a disappointment because these had some potential. They are quite resolving. However, I found them to be too lacking in bass and too strident in the higher frequencies. It looks like this has a BA in the nozzle, based on the promotional images. This was my first experience with an IEM having that configuration. I found the high range to be insipid, out of balance, and grating, and I think that's the reason why (now I'm glad I passed on the VX!). I'm not a basshead by any stretch, but the bass is leaner than neutral and that, along with the aggerssive treble, robs the sound of any warmth or impression of soundstage. I don't mean to be harsh because they aren't bad at all. But I just couldn't enjoy them for a long session. The treble presentation forces me to keep the volume low and the tuning just isn't satisfying. My TRN BA5 is on loan now, but I'm comfortable saying that I think the BA5 is better.

I had to use Spiral Dots to get the bass in a good place.

Aug 28, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #33 of 108
I had to use Spiral Dots to get the bass in a good place.
I tried that and other ear tips. Flipped Starlines were closest for me. I tried a bunch of different cables, too, but I couldn't get them to a good place. I could have EQ'ed them but that introduces digital distortion so I don't like to resort to that.

Aug 28, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #34 of 108
I tried that and other ear tips. Flipped Starlines were closest for me. I tried a bunch of different cables, too, but I couldn't get them to a good place. I could have EQ'ed them but that introduces digital distortion so I don't like to resort to that.

I find pairing these type of neutralish bright IEMs with a warmer source and narrower bore tips (eg spinfit CP100) tend to make the bass more prominent and balance out the highs, but YMMV. I try to avoid EQ as much as possible too. For cable non skeptics, u can perhaps try a copper cable, but that's a big can of worms best left untouched.

Sep 3, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #36 of 108

Sorry to hear that, they are leaning on bright so it is a preference thing as I know a guy who likes them but he also likes the HD600. I used the large spiral dots which god a good seal which helped the bass. Hopefully they bring out a all BA model like the TRN BA8.

Sep 4, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #37 of 108
After a few minutes with the CSA, I had to give tape a try after my experience with the ZSN Pro X. The Pro X needed a small bit of help, the CSA needed a bigger bass boost. I know the typical partial covered grill works to dampen the high-end peaks but my happy accident with the Pro X of covering all the holes will affect the bass as well. With the CSA, it ended up emphasizing that strong mid-bass, shifting into a more V shape sound that you will want to enjoy at slightly unreasonable volume levels.

Tape mod reference: https://www.audioreviews.org/how-to-remove-treble-peaks/
Just ignore that first tip :wink:

Sep 5, 2020 at 8:16 AM Post #38 of 108
After a few minutes with the CSA, I had to give tape a try after my experience with the ZSN Pro X. The Pro X needed a small bit of help, the CSA needed a bigger bass boost. I know the typical partial covered grill works to dampen the high-end peaks but my happy accident with the Pro X of covering all the holes will affect the bass as well. With the CSA, it ended up emphasizing that strong mid-bass, shifting into a more V shape sound that you will want to enjoy at slightly unreasonable volume levels.

Tape mod reference: https://www.audioreviews.org/how-to-remove-treble-peaks/
Just ignore that first tip :wink:

That appears to completely change the sound signature of the CSA. Which I'm not after but cool none the less.

I didn't know about the 3 versions for different parts of the world. I thought it was 3 batches as they revised the sound signature (iem).

The CSA are growing on me. Initially had mixed feeling on them. Female vocals tend to sound better on them. Also in some tracks, the male vocals seemed overshadowed by the bass and instruments.

Sep 5, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #39 of 108
That appears to completely change the sound signature of the CSA. Which I'm not after but cool none the less.

I didn't know about the 3 versions for different parts of the world. I thought it was 3 batches as they revised the sound signature (iem).

The CSA are growing on me. Initially had mixed feeling on them. Female vocals tend to sound better on them. Also in some tracks, the male vocals seemed overshadowed by the bass and instruments.

Yes, quite a change in signature for those who have a CSA and want to give it a try.

Is yours neutral bright? On mine, the bass is very minimal especially on male vocals that could use some help from the bass.

As said, I asked about batches and was told there are 3 versions for Korea, Indonesia, and everyone else. I don't have anything else other than what they said. By batches, perhaps they mean there was a mix up in packaging the 3 versions because one is definitely minimal bass and the other sounds like yours.

Sep 5, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #40 of 108
Hi, have a small review on the CVJ CS8 here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/cvj-cs8.24537/reviews#item-review-24274

Not bad, very fresh neutralish bright tuning style compared to the vast sea of V shaped/harmanish sub $30 fare.

7b60pc7.jpg

Sep 7, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #41 of 108
Yes, quite a change in signature for those who have a CSA and want to give it a try.

Is yours neutral bright? On mine, the bass is very minimal especially on male vocals that could use some help from the bass.

As said, I asked about batches and was told there are 3 versions for Korea, Indonesia, and everyone else. I don't have anything else other than what they said. By batches, perhaps they mean there was a mix up in packaging the 3 versions because one is definitely minimal bass and the other sounds like yours.

I spent the weekend giving mine a proper listen and they definitely don't lack bass. I'd say slightly above average. I've also seen reviews that say the treble and sibilance is too overwhelming; sharp, painful. I didn't experience that.

It's weird as we ordered from the same seller, in the same country. The only difference is I ordered the black version.

Sep 7, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #43 of 108
I'm certainly enjoying my CSA I got the other day. Lovely extension on the treble, with a nice balance on the bass and mids.
I've got the black pair

I agree, really liking mine.

Oct 14, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #44 of 108
Anyone know if this brand "closed up shop"? I was watching a review in a foreign language and using google translate, something he mentioned translated to that. Something about because of bad reviews.

Oct 29, 2020 at 8:15 AM Post #45 of 108
I have the CS8 coming soon. After enjoying the CSA and CSN's neutral profiles I'm looking forward to this one. Purchased through IZ POP at Amazon USA, the brand is still active as far as I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back