CVJ IEMs thread
Aug 2, 2020 at 2:51 AM Post #16 of 108
Hi friends!

CVJ is a relatively new player in the CHIFI scene, they released a few sleeper hits this year that were quite well regarded in reviews, but their gear went under the radar for discussion in audio sites, including headfi. These are some of their releases here:

1) CVJ CSA (1BA + 1DD):
Headfi reviews here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/cvj-csa-iem.24425/reviews
CVJ CSA.PNG

2) CVJ CSN (5BA + 1DD):
Headfi reviews here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/cvj-csn.24411/reviews
11251604.png

3) CVJ CS8 (3 BA + 1DD):
Just released, their newest flagship. No reviews currently, but I've just received a review unit, will burn in and leave some impressions soon.
CVJ 2.PNG

More CHIFI companies equals more choices and competition, I can only see this as a good thing for us consumers, especially at the budget/midfi segment. I remember a few years back, KZ was all the rage for CHIFI, and though KZ are still one of the market leaders, I gotta say there are some CHIFI brands that have surpassed KZ in terms of sound quality and price to performance. I haven't tried CVJ's first 2 IEMs (CSA and CSN), but from reading the reviews, it seems this new setup may be on to something.

Anybody else tried their products? Please feel free to give your impressions on them!
I posted a review of the CSA here as there was no CVJ thread at the time: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...sions-sharing-reference-list.805930/page-1626

Aug 2, 2020 at 7:01 AM Post #17 of 108
Are they actually related to KZ and CCA?
I mean their style, their IEMs like have KZ/CCA DNA injected there.
And what i realized from the very first was the font they are using, its the same font with CCA logo.

They are an offshoot of TRN.

Aug 4, 2020 at 3:40 AM Post #19 of 108
I just receive my CVJ CS8.Initial impression and review incoming.

Attachments

• 20200804_153804.jpg
    20200804_153804.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200804_153810.jpg
    20200804_153810.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Aug 4, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #22 of 108
Aug 5, 2020 at 7:54 AM Post #24 of 108
What's the difference between:
BAs are nestled inside the nozzle vs BA tweeters in the nozzle ?
@baskingshark

They are the same meaning, though for the CS8 I saw conflicting diagrams for this. One diagram show's there's a BA in the nozzle, another shows it isn't inside the nozzle:

CVJ a.PNG

1596324748982.png

In general I don't really like BAs inside the nozzle (without damping) as they tend to sound sibilant and harsh to me eg TRN VX. I couldn't use the TRN VX for more than 5 min in stock form, had to do a micropore mod over the nozzle to salvage it.
I'm still burning in the CVJ CS8 and will leave a review in a week or so, but CS8 is definitely not as harsh sounding as the VX in stock form.

Aug 21, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #26 of 108
CSN is fantastic, better than units that cost double the price.

Aug 28, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #28 of 108
I bought the CVJ CSN from Amazon, but I'm returning it. It's a disappointment because these had some potential. They are quite resolving. However, I found them to be too lacking in bass and too strident in the higher frequencies. It looks like this has a BA in the nozzle, based on the promotional images. This was my first experience with an IEM having that configuration. I found the high range to be insipid, out of balance, and grating, and I think that's the reason why (now I'm glad I passed on the VX!). I'm not a basshead by any stretch, but the bass is leaner than neutral and that, along with the aggerssive treble, robs the sound of any warmth or impression of soundstage. I don't mean to be harsh because they aren't bad at all. But I just couldn't enjoy them for a long session. The treble presentation forces me to keep the volume low and the tuning just isn't satisfying. My TRN BA5 is on loan now, but I'm comfortable saying that I think the BA5 is better.

Aug 28, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #29 of 108
I bought the CVJ CSN from Amazon, but I'm returning it. It's a disappointment because these had some potential. They are quite resolving. However, I found them to be too lacking in bass and too strident in the higher frequencies. It looks like this has a BA in the nozzle, based on the promotional images. This was my first experience with an IEM having that configuration. I found the high range to be insipid, out of balance, and grating, and I think that's the reason why (now I'm glad I passed on the VX!). I'm not a basshead by any stretch, but the bass is leaner than neutral and that, along with the aggerssive treble, robs the sound of any warmth or impression of soundstage. I don't mean to be harsh because they aren't bad at all. But I just couldn't enjoy them for a long session. The treble presentation forces me to keep the volume low and the tuning just isn't satisfying. My TRN BA5 is on loan now, but I'm comfortable saying that I think the BA5 is better.

I think that's the CVJ house sound though, I haven't tried the CVJ CSN, but the CVJ CS8 I have is likewise having a neutralish bright signature, with a neutralish bass and bright upper mids/treble. With amping maybe the bass goes slightly north of neutral, but it is far from the typical boosted bass of KZs and TRNs. Different strokes for different folks, the CVJ house sound is quite a unique tuning among the sea of V shaped/harmanish budget CHIFI for sure, they seem like another cousin of the Tin HIFI house sound!

TRN VX is V shaped so the bass is north of neutral, but they still went to boost the upper mids/treble even more so that was a bit painful for me without micropore mods or EQ. Treble is a very personal aspect though, cause all of us are at different stages of hearing health, we use different sources and by default, some are trebleheads, some are treble sensitive.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #30 of 108
I think that's the CVJ house sound though, I haven't tried the CVJ CSN, but the CVJ CS8 I have is likewise having a neutralish bright signature, with a neutralish bass and bright upper mids/treble. With amping maybe the bass goes slightly north of neutral, but it is far from the typical boosted bass of KZs and TRNs. Different strokes for different folks, the CVJ house sound is quite a unique tuning among the sea of V shaped/harmanish budget CHIFI for sure, they seem like another cousin of the Tin HIFI house sound!

TRN VX is V shaped so the bass is north of neutral, but they still went to boost the upper mids/treble even more so that was a bit painful for me without micropore mods or EQ. Treble is a very personal aspect though, cause all of us are at different stages of hearing health, we use different sources and by default, some are trebleheads, some are treble sensitive.
I think you're right that TRN's sound features a boosted bass, at least based upon my experience with the BA5. But it's tasteful to me and the quality is very good. And you're right that an enhanced treble might be just right for someone else. Nevertheless, I think it's fair to say that they have a tuning that is idiosyncratic, and for me, it just didn't work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back