Customs at age 19 - bad idea?
Feb 2, 2012 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

budgetboy

100+ Head-Fier
I remember reading somewhere that if you get customs too young, your ear canals will change shape slightly as you finish growing and basically defeat the purpose of getting customs. Is 19 too young?

P.S. The customs in question are the ES5s, which use heat-molded vinyl tips. If that effects the answer at all.

Feb 2, 2012 at 4:32 AM Post #2 of 27
At your age, I don't see it as much more of an issue than weight fluctuations that will inevitably occur in your lifetime. In your early teens, the ear continually changes shape as you grow, but by 19 - you should be fine!

Feb 2, 2012 at 8:26 AM Post #3 of 27
I don't think it's a bad idea at all. I'm 20 and I stopped growing at around 17-18. The only thing that change is my weight, but even so my weight have been stable for over a year now. So I definitely think you should be fine as long as there's no drastic changes to your physical condition

Feb 2, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #4 of 27
I'm 18 and I had my UM SCL3X for 2-3 years now. I noticed that my ears grew a BIT so I applied clear nail polish onto the monitors to improve the fit. Fits like a charm now.

Feb 2, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #5 of 27
I think it varies with the person getting the customs, but generally once you hit 18 you should be okay. If I'm wrong someone correct me please 
biggrin.gif

I have a few friends who have gotten CIEMs, one of them being me.
I got mine when I stopped growing at 16 1/2, and the fit was perfect for me.
Another friend of mine got his at 17+, and he had to send his CIEMs back for refitting twice (still growing + weightlifting...)

I agree with davidjearly and Zenova, you should be okay as long as your weight doesn't fly up/down 
biggrin.gif

Feb 6, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #7 of 27

You mean that weight affects the size of your ear canals?
Quote:
I think it varies with the person getting the customs, but generally once you hit 18 you should be okay. If I'm wrong someone correct me please 
biggrin.gif

I have a few friends who have gotten CIEMs, one of them being me.
I got mine when I stopped growing at 16 1/2, and the fit was perfect for me.
Another friend of mine got his at 17+, and he had to send his CIEMs back for refitting twice (still growing + weightlifting...)

I agree with davidjearly and Zenova, you should be okay as long as your weight doesn't fly up/down 
biggrin.gif

Feb 22, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #11 of 27
Depends on where you live, I got both ears done for $40

Mar 13, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #14 of 27
Nice that's really cheap. I wouldnt want to take chances with the fit so if I had the option to get it done cheaper I probably wouldn't take it. I mean most customs are $600<, might as well pay for good impressions.

Mar 13, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #15 of 27
Anyone have some type of guidance on this weight fluctuation thing? I'm 20, and wanting to get myself CIEM's for my 21st birthday. I don't have plans to bulk up, but I do plan on losing about 20 pounds in the next year. Will that affect the fit that much? or should I wait?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back