CustomEar Molds for Super.fi 5 Pros (And others)
Aug 25, 2005 at 10:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Sweet Spot

1000+ Head-Fier
Begin story:

So I was on an errand run today, with a list and everything. On the list of things to do, were two significant chores which included ways in which I might increase my portable audio pleasure. First up, was to visit a nearby mom/pop computer shop where someone I know works, in order to find out if he can supply a bulk amount of Toshiba 30/40 gig single platter 1.8" drives for the Misticriver community.

We're basically modding the hell out of our H series daps, and finding more options as far as resellers for these drives (we have 2 in the states so far) goes.

Next on the list, was a quick stop by the Scienticic research labs, which is a reseller of Etymotic canal phones. I wanted to find out if the flange tips, the ones which go deep in the ear, would fit on my UE soundfi pro5's. Jeff Stegman, who is the Vice President of Scientific Plastics, was in the office so I decided to hit him up with a couple of basic questions.

He unfortunately didn't think that any of the tips, except for the generic foams (which could be bore out and custom fit) would work with the UE's, but then suggested something interesting. He offered to make me custom silicone molds, which he said would be made to fit over the existing ear piece of the sound.fi's.

The entire process including the moulding would cost $90, which IMO is a very decent price for the whole shebang. Only thing is, I didn't start thinking about the particulars until I left his office. In any case, I told him that there would probably be a decent demand for such a thing, seeing as how there are now more than one new UE 5 model.

I'll probably be getting mine done next week, but there's a few things I'd like to ask him before the process begins. Things such as: Will the ear molds be detachable or permenant ? Why put the moldings over the ear pieces instead of enclosing the drivers in the molds ? (Though I'm assuming the first question has to do with this, plus the cost of the product would be driven up I'm sure.)

If there's any other questions you guys think/want me to ask, please put them here. From what I gather, the custom moldings can fit pretty much any earphones.

Aug 26, 2005 at 4:07 AM Post #2 of 3
Yeah ... are these similar to the kind audiologists make for hearing aids and UE5s & 10s, designed to fit a particular user?

Andy

Aug 27, 2005 at 12:35 AM Post #3 of 3
Straight off the bat, yes. They are made for a particular user. As I said, the ear molding is done in an audiologists office (for NYr's they'd be done by the guys at the Scientific Plastics lab on W 243 30th St), and then which ever canal phones you have, they'll be fitted for it.

I imagine that when I leave my UE 5 pros with them, they'll take notes so that they know the dimensions of the thing, preventing anyone from having to leave their canal phones over night. This of course only suits the UE 5 soundfi pros though.

Anyone else ? I mean, is no one interested in such a thing ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back