Custom tips made but dont like them, am I alone?
Jun 22, 2009 at 2:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

HyperM3

100+ Head-Fier
So I was getting some custom plugs made for when I'm riding a motorcycle and figured at the same time, why not get custom tips made for my Shures.

Well, they both came in today and I was less than enthused. First off, the tips were made by Westone. The tips for wearing under the helmet fit decent but haven't tried them out yet.

The tips made for the shures(actually they are made to fit Westones but they said it would fit any IEM) dont seem to seal that great. Also, wearing longer than 5 mins they started to bother me.

When I went back to the clear soft plastic tips(which is what Ive been using for the past 5 yrs) I felt like it got a better seal. Not only that, I got my bass back and it was tight and punchy. The custom tips had a nice soundstage but no low end.

They said I had 30 days to try them out but I'm fairly confident that I don't like them right away.

Anyone else not like custom tips or am I crazy?

Jun 22, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #3 of 9
The audiologist was there when I was trying them out and kept twisting and turning them. She said they were fitting fine although the one for my left ear was seated a bit deeper in the canal(maybe by 1mm) than the right ear. When I got home I even tried wearing them again this time using a little spit to wet my canals to they stay in a little better. They stay in fine but they just dont have the same punch like the little plastic mushroom does.

Ill try to take pics later after I get home from work.

Jun 22, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by HyperM3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The audiologist was there when I was trying them out and kept twisting and turning them. She said they were fitting fine although the one for my left ear was seated a bit deeper in the canal(maybe by 1mm) than the right ear. When I got home I even tried wearing them again this time using a little spit to wet my canals to they stay in a little better. They stay in fine but they just dont have the same punch like the little plastic mushroom does.

Ill try to take pics later after I get home from work.

I have custom tips from Starkey, made from a silicone material. I really like them. They do take a tiny bit of getting used to though.

Did your Westones come with a little sample if Oto Ease? It's a lubricant that you can put on the outside of them until you get used to them. I still use it to clean mine about once a week, to keep them from getting sticky.

Also, if they aren't sealing, you can try squeezing them together vertically, open your mouth really wide, and then insert them in your ear. That will make them the widest they can be. Then let them settle for a couple of seconds and close your jaw.

If you do that, and they still don't seal, you probably didn't get good impressions. They have a 90-day fit warranty, so you can go back and get them done again. Try an open mouth bite block impression. (Mouth open during the entire impression.)

Westone, from what I hear, has great customer service, so they will make it right.

Good luck....

Jun 22, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #5 of 9
you are not alone ...i had ultimate ears made for me a while back....had several pairs made uo because the fit was never quite right...eventually i got them about as close to perfect as they could be made but still i wasnt fully happy...today i use comply tips with my westone and etymotic and x10's and in truth the isolation is better...the comfort is almost as good and the sound is for me just as good.....

Jun 22, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #6 of 9
sounds like you arent getting a proper seal, if they are seated properly and you arent getting better bass than silicones, there is definitely something wrong.

Oct 2, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #7 of 9
I agree, if you are getting less low end response with custom tips compared to Shure Silicone, then there is a serious fitting issue. Which seems like you just haven't gotten used to them, and figured out to get them in the right way. Takes a bit of practice.

Oct 2, 2009 at 8:00 AM Post #8 of 9
I was under the same process for some time and ended returning the customized and I'm still using universals, custom fits are not for everybody, that is for sure, even while well done if you move chew or do something with the muscles on your face you will notice them and will bother me to no limit, specially when they are made of solid materials, I prefer by a good margin the universal fit and also i did not noticed any improvement in any field due to that use...if you are using a universal tip and it fits good, and you get a proper seal, IMO that will be enough to get a good sound...

The custom fit is IMO another of these audio myths and depends greatly on the person, and shape of the ear channel...But they are far from being a universal truth...
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back