Custom sleeved usb dac cables
Apr 5, 2013 at 10:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

uncola

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey just wanted to mention a source of custom color sleeved usb dac cables.  http://www.mimic-cables.com/  he mostly makes custom cables for mechanical keyboard enthusiasts on geekhack.org but if you ask, he can easily make it a usb dac cable.  He has tons of different color sleeves.  He doesn't claim it has any special sound enhancing properties, but it looks great and is sturdy and you can get it color matched to your equipment/leds.
Some more pictures of his cables http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=36065.0

Here's mine in royal blue with ferrite bead.  The connectors are silvered colored but the actual contacts inside are gold plated.

Apr 6, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #2 of 6
Would seem to me that a cable made for keyboards would lack the shielding required for good sound over USB...same reason you don't just plug in a printer cable.

Apr 8, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #3 of 6
Well that's the big debate isn't it?  Whether audiophile usb cables make any difference.  Matt from Schiit is one person I know who has come out and said they don't believe they do.  These are really just for looks and color matching.  Good inexpensive option for people who don't want to DIY a colored cable.
edit:  also, haha most people DO plug in a printer cable for their dac

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #4 of 6
He has some nice looking cables there.
I love the stainless steel one, if it only had red and blue anodized aluminum shells it would look like Russell Braided Hose.

Here is my Siamese charge / data cable white connector has data black is power only.

The USB cable on my Corsair K60 is sleeved as well...
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
Well that's the big debate isn't it?  Whether audiophile usb cables make any difference.  Matt from Schiit is one person I know who has come out and said they don't believe they do.  These are really just for looks and color matching.  Good inexpensive option for people who don't want to DIY a colored cable.
edit:  also, haha most people DO plug in a printer cable for their dac

I did when I first got a DAC-but there were intermittent dropouts, static, and overall crappy SQ. $20-$30 for an entry level audiophile cable is pretty cheap compared to the rest of a rig.

Apr 9, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #6 of 6
edit: nevermind, let's not start a flame war.  Some people think more expensive usb cables change the sound, some don't.  Let's leave it at that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back