Custom remold vs. custom tips
Sep 4, 2009 at 2:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

blackwave

New Head-Fier
It's a basic question, really. Surely the answer is on this forum somewhere, but I can't seem to dig it up.

Aside from coolness factor and a smaller package, what's the difference in SQ between these modifications? I'm thinking of getting one or the other just because I can't get a good seal with my TF10s except for the Comply tips, and I don't like how those subdue the high end. I figured I'd rather drop a little cash up from rather than go through a ton of different tips til I find the right one, then wish I had the customs in the first place.

Thanks!
Chris

Sep 4, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #2 of 5
The consensus runs something like this. You can't beat the value of custom tips, which sound better than universals, though - for the full effect - you can't beat a full custom because of its fuller fit. Words like "bone conduction" come up. Personally, I think Westone's UM56 is a great deal and since you can put them on practically any IEM, it's really a matter of dollars versus that last ounce of performance.

Sep 4, 2009 at 6:23 AM Post #3 of 5
Well, if you go custom tips you retain resale value, and it won't likely change the sound quality all that much (though you'll find a better fit, and seal). You will also be able to apply the custom tips to a wide variety of IEMs with the same bore diameter as your UEs (not a whole lot, i don't think...).

However, there were many downsides to custom tips that i've read about: one is, that depending on your ear shape, the monitors would probably stick out a lot more than usual. I read an account of someone's monitor's nozzle snapping off in their sleep, which i assume occurred because of the increased leverage against tip when it's elongated.
In addition to fragility, you probably won't want to do sports or anything like that with them in... just my thought.

then again, there are many people with the westone custom tips (would westone make custom tips for a different company's product??) and enjoy them...

Things that i've read about getting them remolded is that the seal is better, the sound has changed (for the better), and you can add an additional driver. then again, it totally kills your resale value, but if resale and money isn't the issue, i would totally go remold over custom tips. especially if i liked the IEM in question, and intended for it to be my primary set.

Sep 4, 2009 at 8:23 AM Post #4 of 5
But, the cost of remolding at UniqueMelody is cheaper than Weston UM56 custom sleeves
smily_headphones1.gif
... choices ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back