Custom Pimeta Case *pics*
Aug 9, 2007 at 9:24 AM Post #62 of 80
I hate to be a buzz kill, but looking over the pictures those glue joints aren't very sound. You're gluing end-grain. What do you have in terms of joint reinforcement? Am I missing some through-dowel construction or is it just end-grain glued to face grain?

Also, leaving end-grain showing is kinda sloppy... end-grain doesn't have any visual pull, nor does it sand cleanly or hold finish very well. Color me unimpressed, and worried about whoever buys the case (in terms of the case breaking or falling apart, and that it kinda looks like a high school tech-class project).

Aug 9, 2007 at 12:02 PM Post #63 of 80
Nice job on the finish. I really like the rounded edges, but like Eagleboy said, those corners should have been mitered at 45 degrees to give a cleaner look and to provide a better surface for gluing. Gluing end grain to long grain is a poor choice since the fibers really don't have enough surface area to create a tight bond with each other. I do a 45 miter for my boxes as well as a rabbit on the inner edge to slide the bottom plate in to to provide extra strength for the bottom and more support for the box while gluing and it seems to work quite well so you might want to look into for future reference. Ideally, a dove tail should be used to give the case optimum strength, however they're a royal pain in the arse to do and as long as you're not putting too much weight into the case, the above method should work fine. Other than that, great work, I really like the satin finish of it. Though you might also want to give it a few coats of beeswax if you can since now that you have it sealed from most moisture with the poly, you can get a nicer sheen with the beeswax and still not have to worry too much about about hand oil and sweat seeping into the finish.

Aug 9, 2007 at 3:26 PM Post #64 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do wood accents count?

medium.jpg

That looks awesome
smily_headphones1.gif
I'll have to steal that idea for some Millets I'm working on
orphsmile.gif

Aug 9, 2007 at 5:53 PM Post #65 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagleboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate to be a buzz kill, but looking over the pictures those glue joints aren't very sound. You're gluing end-grain. What do you have in terms of joint reinforcement? Am I missing some through-dowel construction or is it just end-grain glued to face grain?

Also, leaving end-grain showing is kinda sloppy... end-grain doesn't have any visual pull, nor does it sand cleanly or hold finish very well. Color me unimpressed, and worried about whoever buys the case (in terms of the case breaking or falling apart, and that it kinda looks like a high school tech-class project).

I think the post below is a good response. Thanks for the thread crap.

Aug 9, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #66 of 80
Quote:

You're right...it may break and fall apart...if you stand on it! colonelkernel8, you should inform people not to use it as a step stool or wheel chock and to only use it as intended...to sit on a table, look pretty, and be a headphone amp.

rolleyes.gif
Some people...I think the end grain looks great. Gives it a nice contrast on the ends. Not typical miter cut like most cases.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 9, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #67 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bjornboy81 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're right...it may break and fall apart...if you stand on it! colonelkernel8, you should inform people not to use it as a step stool or wheel chuck and to only use it as intended...to sit on a table, look pretty, and be a headphone amp.

rolleyes.gif
Some people...I think the end grain looks good. Gives it a nice contrast on the ends. Not typical miter cut like most cases.
smily_headphones1.gif

You know, amps do get moved around. They get shipped places. Temperature and humidity changes give the glue used opportunity to fail in locations that aren't structural joints. There are plenty of opportunities for shoddy workmanship to shine through. Also, leaving end-grain showing is not fine woodworking practice. As I said, to other woodworkers it shows sloppiness and taking shortcuts.

And, you're welcome for the "thread crap". I'm sorry somebody has something negative to say about your project. Lord knows you get 4 pages of praise on something that's really just mediocre, with one post saying "wait a second, that's not right".

I could go on about the benefits of a mitered box with splines, but it seems that you don't want to listen. The only structural element in your box is the bottom. I'm telling you this so you can get off your high horse of praises and improve your woodworking abilities. Sorry for being so blunt, but you hyped everybody up and got praise for a tech class project of a box. I kinda take offense to that, in a roundabout kinda way. I could have said it in a more polite way, yes, but it would have taken even longer to explain the shortcomings.

PS to Bjornboy- For "Contrast", the builder should choose the wood species accordingly and vary them throughout the project- not leave end grain showing.

Aug 9, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #68 of 80
Quote:

PS to Bjournboy-

There's no "u" in my name.

Aug 9, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #70 of 80
For the record, it was two posts - Mr. Skyline piled on, although in a much more tactful manner. I realize colonelkernel8 may have over-promoted this in his enthusiasm and has a bit of the "bump-itis" in the For Sale section, but Bjornboy81 is right.

As if an amp box is going to see any stress ... a reasonable fillet of Titebond on the inside of the corners will hold that box together forever without even applying glue to the face of the joint. I also agree with the end grain facing - it's sanded and finished well - the contrast is interesting and it's on the back anyway. If it was end-butted and not even sanded flush, you might have an argument ... but it was done quite nicely.

Sometimes one person's hype is another one's enthusiasm. I hate to think we've been reduced to criticising someone's case work in a public forum, regardless of the buildup. One thing's for sure - I'm not constructing a wood case and posting pics around here - I hate mitred joints.

Aug 9, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #72 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate to think we've been reduced to criticising someone's case work in a public forum, regardless of the buildup.

This is the DIY section, where we discuss technique quality and projects. Colonel put his project up and claimed it was the most beautiful case for an amp he's ever seen. I think it's the right place and time to criticize someone's work - we're hardly being "reduced" to this level. What would the colosseums have been like if someone didn't build a model and say "hey, that's not right. That's gotta be changed".

And yes, I was blunt and harsh, but I said it because it had to be said. If Colonel can't deal with criticism (positive OR negative) he simply shouldn't be posting his work on a public forum. If he can deal with criticism, then he shouldn't be calling mine "thread crap".

Aug 9, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #73 of 80
I agree that if you don't like something you have the right to say it...this is a public forum. BUT, tact is key. We are not all professional woodworkers here, we do our best.

And just because he said it's the most beautiful he's ever seen....well, maybe hes seen some REALLY crappy ones.
wink.gif

Aug 9, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #74 of 80
I don't know... maybe it's just my teaching. I'm an art major, and when it's my turn for critique my friends and teachers rip me apart. When the tables are turned, I do the same. Through it all nobody really takes it personally and afterwards we go back and fix what we screwed up.

I do apologize for being so short, but I think it's been drilled into me to be that way in my critiques. If you do or don't like it, say it and that's it - you only have 10 minutes for a whole class to talk about the work. So, don't take it personally - there's always the next box. If you want to talk about methods and jigs for making a good strong box that will last for a long, long time feel free to PM me - it's not just a miter that does it.

Aug 9, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #75 of 80
Quote:

This is the DIY section, where we discuss technique quality and projects. Colonel put his project up and claimed it was the most beautiful case for an amp he's ever seen. I think it's the right place and time to criticize someone's work - we're hardly being "reduced" to this level. What would the colosseums have been like if someone didn't build a model and say "hey, that's not right. That's gotta be changed".

And yes, I was blunt and harsh, but I said it because it had to be said. If Colonel can't deal with criticism (positive OR negative) he simply shouldn't be posting his work on a public forum. If he can deal with criticism, then he shouldn't be calling mine "thread crap".

I know is isnt the most beautiful case ever, just when compared to what I have seen on Head-Fi. Most people dont even post pictures. I think I stated it what way. In fact, I could make a case 100x better (both visually, and build-wise), but it isn't going to be used on a Pimeta. Keep in touch for my Millett Max case build.

*EDIT*
Here are my exact words, "this is going to be the best looking pimeta I have seen on Head-Fi so far." So I was really only comparing it to pimetas, most people put pimetas in bland Hammond enclosures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back