Custom or Universal at ~$200~$400?
Jun 4, 2012 at 2:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

AyeVeeN

100+ Head-Fier
I've been using headphones for awhile (HD25-ii for on-the-go, FA-011 at home w/ E9 whenever I feel like using it though usually just use my M200mkii's. More recently been using MP8320s though just because they're more convenient than using HD25-ii's), and would like to switch because they're insanely inconvenient during school, and impossible to hide. And HD25-iis look sorta ridiculous for my age group. I also like how customs look in general :).

Basically choosing between probably the Kozee Infinity X1 Executive (~$190), VSonic GR07, and maybe some others, or save ~$400~$500 for one of the 1964 pairs or something. The only problem I have though is the waiting period for customs. Would people still recommend them for someone who checks his amazon order every day?

If I do go the custom route and don't end up getting the X1's, can you guys recommend a CIEM for mostly electronica and R&B? I generally listen to everything from electronica (liquid, trance, house, dubstep, all of it) to indie, country, and rock (though barely any metal, and at most only alt metal).

Jun 4, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #2 of 22
Hi there,

If I were you, I would invest in a pair of customs. Now I dont really know much about the 1964 Ears but here is my experience. I had universals and loved them, owned the Shure E3 and then E4s. Didn't think it could get any better than that so I was pretty sceptical when I ordered the Triple Fi's. People were claiming the improvement is night and day but I wasn't about to be a believer till I heard them myself. The thing with Triple Fi's is that they are supremely uncomfortable so I decided to invest in going custom. I got impressions done and got them remolded by Fisher Hearing. The turn around time for everything was about 2 months but totally worth it. Fit was damn near perfect and the sound was indeed a night and day improvement over the E4's. My point here is that, if you have the patience and money, go the custom route, you won't look back. All in all my Triple Fi customs cost me $240. Not bad at all. I have been using them since February 2010. Finally, invested in a new pair of customs. I too am a check amazon everyday type of person and having to wait around a month is turning out to be pretty hard but I am sure in the end it will be worth it.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or post them right here.

Jun 4, 2012 at 7:34 AM Post #4 of 22
Quote:
I've been using headphones for awhile (HD25-ii for on-the-go, FA-011 at home w/ E9 whenever I feel like using it though usually just use my M200mkii's. More recently been using MP8320s though just because they're more convenient than using HD25-ii's), and would like to switch because they're insanely inconvenient during school, and impossible to hide. And HD25-iis look sorta ridiculous for my age group. I also like how customs look in general :).

Basically choosing between probably the Kozee Infinity X1 Executive (~$190), VSonic GR07, and maybe some others, or save ~$400~$500 for one of the 1964 pairs or something. The only problem I have though is the waiting period for customs. Would people still recommend them for someone who checks his amazon order every day?

If I do go the custom route and don't end up getting the X1's, can you guys recommend a CIEM for mostly electronica and R&B? I generally listen to everything from electronica (liquid, trance, house, dubstep, all of it) to indie, country, and rock (though barely any metal, and at most only alt metal).

DO NOT BUY FROM KOZEE.

You can send them your money if you like, but don't expect to receive anything in return.

1964 Ears is a good company. Look at Clear Tune Monitors. Westone also has a well-regarded entry level custom that's good for you. People like the JH5 as well.

Jun 4, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #7 of 22
I think I'm just going to sell my HD25-ii's before I buy customs.

Which one would you guys recommend from:
all the CTM monitors besides the $600 CTM-400 Pro
JH5
1964-T and -D
and any others? I can probably do up to $500. Wouldn't mind saving. Westone does not name their prices by the way so I don't know which one falls into my price range.. Also was looking at UE but haven't seen many reviews on em.

Saving money would be great, though I would splurge if the sound quality is that much better. Also I do love my bass rumble if that has a huge impact on choice :). A lot of my favorite songs include bass around 35~50hz.

Also it will be played straight out of my phone (Samsung Stratosphere, but in a year or so when I upgrade, it'll still most likely be an Android phone, but if not a Windows phone. Probably will be looking for an Android one with a Voodoo-capable kernel, as I use Voodoo Sound currently on the Stratosphere) and out of my tablet (Acer A510, which has no Voodoo kernel yet.. or any kernel / ROM at all). Probably will not use an amp / DAC unless I can find a case that can hold it in it. Too much of a hassle.

Jun 4, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:
I think I'm just going to sell my HD25-ii's before I buy customs.

Which one would you guys recommend from:
all the CTM monitors besides the $600 CTM-400 Pro
JH5
1964-T and -D
and any others? I can probably do up to $500. Wouldn't mind saving. Westone does not name their prices by the way so I don't know which one falls into my price range.. Also was looking at UE but haven't seen many reviews on em.

Saving money would be great, though I would splurge if the sound quality is that much better. Also I do love my bass rumble if that has a huge impact on choice :). A lot of my favorite songs include bass around 35~50hz.

Also it will be played straight out of my phone (Samsung Stratosphere, but in a year or so when I upgrade, it'll still most likely be an Android phone, but if not a Windows phone. Probably will be looking for an Android one with a Voodoo-capable kernel, as I use Voodoo Sound currently on the Stratosphere) and out of my tablet (Acer A510, which has no Voodoo kernel yet.. or any kernel / ROM at all). Probably will not use an amp / DAC unless I can find a case that can hold it in it. Too much of a hassle.

The Westone AC2 is $399, worth looking into.
The Heir Audio 3.A and 4.A are $350 and $450 right now. Hier Audio is highly recommended.

Jun 5, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #9 of 22
Heir Audio is well regarded, but shipping and import fees can be a little steep.
JH5's are regarded as some of the best entry levels around.
1964 Ears has some of the best Customer Service and their build quality is excellent, and the 1964-D's from what I've heard in passing are supposedly very similar to the JH5's.
Westone makes good products but as far as I'm aware they may be more mid-range focused, and the AC2's aren't available  for customization.

If you were willing to make the jump you could get the 1964-Q's as they're more bass oriented than the other models.

Jun 5, 2012 at 4:13 AM Post #10 of 22
Mid-range would be great too :) I listen to a lot of vocal trance / songs with lyrics in general. Highs I don't care for as much as my hearing is already damaged (tinnitus at 16. Freaking amazing) so I can't hear the high frequencies as well. Though I do not like them recessed like the TMA-1. I like more of a balanced sound in general with a slight emphasis on bass (both impact/punch and rumble).

So JH5, 1964-D/T, Heir Audio, and Westone AC2 atm. I'll look into the Heir Audio's tomorrow. Too late right now. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Jun 5, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #11 of 22
I was in the same boat as you a couple of months. After flip flopping and changing my mind MULTIPLE times I eventually pulled the trigger on some Heir Audio 3.A's for $350+$50 for shipping. They should be arriving tomorrow so I can't say much about them just yet, but Heir has earned quite the rep around here as of late so I have no doubts of receiving a top notch product.

Jun 5, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #12 of 22
$50 for shipping seems insanely steep.. Have you received it yet? If, so how are they?

Jun 5, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #13 of 22
Yeah I definitely agree, but the price still comes out to the same price as 1964-T and less than  most other brands' triple driver models. Not to mention Heir uses 3 crossovers compared to 2 in most triple drivers and you get the excellent craftsmanship of Heir! But unfortunately, no they did not come yet, they got delayed till tomorrow.

Jun 6, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #14 of 22
I'm leaning towards the Heir Audio 3A but noticed that they don't offer recessed sockets.. really would like one. Also do they send back the ear impressions? And for refitting, if it happens that they don't fit exactly right, would it be $50 to send it there and $50 back? Cause that's way too much and I don't see why it's so high anyways unless its overnight shipping.

Edit: Just looked again. What exactly is "Freight Collect?" It's $0 for shipping with that option, with Freight Prepaid being $55 and the other one being $35.

Jun 6, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:
I'm leaning towards the Heir Audio 3A but noticed that they don't offer recessed sockets.. really would like one. Also do they send back the ear impressions? And for refitting, if it happens that they don't fit exactly right, would it be $50 to send it there and $50 back? Cause that's way too much and I don't see why it's so high anyways unless its overnight shipping.

Edit: Just looked again. What exactly is "Freight Collect?" It's $0 for shipping with that option, with Freight Prepaid being $55 and the other one being $35.

How would it be $50 to send it back to Heir? It's not like they dictate what it's gonna cost for you to ship something to China. That's entirely up to the shipping service you choose.
redface.gif

Freight Collect means UPS will just charge whatever "they feel/it has cost them" when delivering the item. In most cases people report that it's more expensive than $55.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back