custom moulds v generics - IEM system for drummer
Jul 27, 2012 at 8:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

percusski

New Head-Fier
Hi again...I'm getting mixed reports on what is the 'best' option for playing drums live to sequencers over a band/on stage volume. Some say the custom moulds provide the best isolation but can leave you with a detached feeling from your instrument, others say that better isolation can be achieved from generic fit phones...
Just wondered what people's thoughts were on this (especially drummers) as obviously generics cost a lot less that custom moulds.
What is important to me is 1/ looking after my hearing i.e. being able to hear the sequencers clicks etc without being deafened, 2/ a good quality sound - thinking at least triple drivers
The ideal solution is to run a mix of the drums and band back through a mixer to my ears, but on some gigs this may not be possible so too much unadjustable isolation could be a problem?
I was looking at Shure 535s or similar, someone has recommended GR07s (do these compare with 535s?)
Let me know your thoughts on this as the whole decision making process seems confusing lol
Thanks

Jul 28, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #3 of 7
I'll give it a shot...

I have wanted customs for awhile. But the possibility for screwing it up are high.

So for my monitoring needs I use an Etymotic Product.

Although, You may want to look here for the absolute best monitor for your needs.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/620285/v-moda-faders-the-best-iem-for-living-your-life

With it their are no electronics to fail or color your listening experience.

Good Luck, Jim

Jul 28, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #4 of 7
Shure 535 could be a possible option also possibly highly over priced in some regards. I can't believe no-ones brought up Ultimate ears triple-fi 10 for your application though. They're triple balanced armature based and used by several musicians as stage monitors around the world, their popularity here is excellent and for good reason I own a pair... GRO7, also used as a stage monitor, good choice, maybe a little bright for what you're looking for, needs 300 hours break in to sound right.

Honestly I'd be looking at TF10 before making any other decisions.

Jul 28, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #5 of 7
Thanks for the replies...The v-moda, if i'm reading correctly are earplugs, yes? I have custom moulded earplugs already so definitely just after monitors.
i'm interested to hear people's experiences comparing custom v generic fit.
Astro What are the Etymotics you are using?
H20 why would you recommend TF10s - is it sound quality, fit, isolation...and would you chose these over custom moulds?

Jul 28, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #6 of 7
Yes the V-Moda Faders are just a high fidelity filter. Reducing the incoming sound level by 12 Db.

What I like about them is the sound that is outside of them is the sound you hear. Without any flavoring.

I use the Etymotic ER-4 series for my monitoring. I have paired them up with Comply Foam tips.

Deep insertion, Accurate Sound, and up to 8-12 hours listening a day.

The isolation is top notch also.

Hope you find what you need.

Jim

Jul 28, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks for the replies...The v-moda, if i'm reading correctly are earplugs, yes? I have custom moulded earplugs already so definitely just after monitors.
i'm interested to hear people's experiences comparing custom v generic fit.
Astro What are the Etymotics you are using?
H20 why would you recommend TF10s - is it sound quality, fit, isolation...and would you chose these over custom moulds?

Because they're designed for a live in concert experience with three speakers in each ear, you hear every layer of sound, every nuance, every detail. A musician's breathing. Fingers sliding across guitar frets. You'll hear it all just as if the artist were before you performing it live. It's the sonic equivalent of sitting in the world's best recording studio. You hear the music the way it was mixed. Triple-armature design with passive crossover: Low, mid and high sound frequencies are separated and directed to three individual armature speaker drivers for a sonically rich experience. Audio filters shape the sound for the closest experience to custom personal monitors available. And if you ever want to go the custom route you can always strip the shells for their drivers to do so. They were designed exactly for what you do and as close to custom sound you can get.

There's a 500 page thread here to help your research on TF10. I own GRO7 as well.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/309321/ultimate-ears-triple-fi-10-appreciation-thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back