Custom Molds
Mar 20, 2009 at 1:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

originalsnuffy

Headphoneus Supremus
Perhaps we can share our experiences with using custom molds combined with off the shelf iems or earbuds.

My experience with custom molds has been positive.

I purchased a set of Listen Hear custom molds for around $70 about half a year ago. The company is owned by Starkey, a big local hearing aid company.

Anyway, I had the molds set up for my Shure E2C iems. I really think it helps the sound quality for the Shures, and reduces airplane noise in a meaningful way.

To start off the discussion, I would like some specific advice on custom molds with the Nuforce NE-7Ms.

I tried putting my Nuforce phones into my current molds, but it seems to me that the flanges on these phones are not very compatible.

Anybody want to weigh in on whether the Nurforce plastic flanges should fit? If I order a new set of molds using the data the company has on file, this is the list of supported units the company has. Would any of these be highly similar to the NE-7ms?

Listen Hear compatibility availability:

Bose®

Tri-Port In-Ear

Etymotic

ER-6i
ER-6
ER-4
Hf2

Future Sonics

Atrio m5
Atrio m5
Atrio m8

Weston

UM1
UM2

Shure®

SE110
SE210
SE310
SE420
SE530
SCL2
SCL3
SCL4
SCL5
E2c
E3c
E4c
E5c
E2
E3
E4
E5

Ultimate Ears®

Triple.fi 10 pro
Triple.fi 10 vi
Super.fi 5 pro
Super.fi 5 extended bass
Super.fi 5
Super.fi 5 vi
Super.fi 4
Super.fi 4 vi
Metro.fi 2

Sennheiser

IE 6
IE 7
IE 8
CX300
CX400
CX500
CX500 Game
CX 6 Travel

Denon

AH-C751
AH-C700
AH-C551K
AH-C452
AH-C351K
AH-C351W
AH-C350K
AH-C350W

V-Moda

Vibe
Vibe-Dou

Apple®

In-Ear Headphones

Sony®

MDR-EX700LP
MDR-EX75/BLK
MDR-EX75/SLV
MDR-EX75/WHI

Skullcandy™

TiTan
Holua
Smokin Buds
Full Metal Jacket
iPhone FMJ

Mar 22, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #2 of 7
I bought a set of iPod Attachments from Earsound Customs (EarSound Customs - Revolutionize Your Listening Experience™). The cost was $139 for everything which is a bit more then $70 however what you are NOT being told is that you will have to pay an ADDITIONAL fee for the ear impressions which can cost up to $100. I have an MBA and I'm not a big fan of deceptive marketing!
angry_face.gif
As far as I know Earsound also has a custom fit product for all of the audiophile type earbuds as listed below (as shown in the original post). Hope this helps!

Quote:

Originally Posted by originalsnuffy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps we can share our experiences with using custom molds combined with off the shelf iems or earbuds.

My experience with custom molds has been positive.

I purchased a set of Listen Hear custom molds for around $70 about half a year ago. The company is owned by Starkey, a big local hearing aid company.

Anyway, I had the molds set up for my Shure E2C iems. I really think it helps the sound quality for the Shures, and reduces airplane noise in a meaningful way.

To start off the discussion, I would like some specific advice on custom molds with the Nuforce NE-7Ms.

I tried putting my Nuforce phones into my current molds, but it seems to me that the flanges on these phones are not very compatible.

Anybody want to weigh in on whether the Nurforce plastic flanges should fit? If I order a new set of molds using the data the company has on file, this is the list of supported units the company has. Would any of these be highly similar to the NE-7ms?

Listen Hear compatibility availability:

Bose®

Tri-Port In-Ear

Etymotic

ER-6i
ER-6
ER-4
Hf2

Future Sonics

Atrio m5
Atrio m5
Atrio m8

Weston

UM1
UM2

Shure®

SE110
SE210
SE310
SE420
SE530
SCL2
SCL3
SCL4
SCL5
E2c
E3c
E4c
E5c
E2
E3
E4
E5

Ultimate Ears®

Triple.fi 10 pro
Triple.fi 10 vi
Super.fi 5 pro
Super.fi 5 extended bass
Super.fi 5
Super.fi 5 vi
Super.fi 4
Super.fi 4 vi
Metro.fi 2

Sennheiser

IE 6
IE 7
IE 8
CX300
CX400
CX500
CX500 Game
CX 6 Travel

Denon

AH-C751
AH-C700
AH-C551K
AH-C452
AH-C351K
AH-C351W
AH-C350K
AH-C350W

V-Moda

Vibe
Vibe-Dou

Apple®

In-Ear Headphones

Sony®

MDR-EX700LP
MDR-EX75/BLK
MDR-EX75/SLV
MDR-EX75/WHI

Skullcandy™

TiTan
Holua
Smokin Buds
Full Metal Jacket
iPhone FMJ

Mar 22, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #3 of 7
Got my custom molds via http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/ for my triple fi pros. Love them.
For $115 they send you the kit you do it at home and in just over a week I had them.

Originally I had ordered them with the super fi .5 pros but upgraded to the triple fi which they said is compatible and it was. The only way I know they are in is because of the wire. Never could get comfortable for long with the other options so these are awesome for the price.

When they send back the custom molds they also send you the impressions. They have about two dozen models of the major companies to choose from and invite people to mention others to them.

PerfectFit<font size="1">(TM)</font> Optional Accessory For Any Brand of Isolation Earphones<br><font size="2">Perfect Your Isolation Earphone System: Add Custom Fitted Ear Molds!</font> - Earphone Accessories

Choose the style, color and make the payment and no more issues. If you change to another manufacturer, if you can't use your existing molds, you can easily use the impressions to order another set for that model for not a huge cost of custom made.

Choose the canal IEM type molds in clear. They have a bunch of colors too. Highly recommended even if you don't have big comfort issues, you can't beat the personalized fit.

Mar 22, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #4 of 7
I did want to clarify. I do already have one pair of custom molds. The total cost including the fitting was $70.

Right now I am wondering if my E2C molds can somehow fit onto the Nuforce NE-7Ms.

I do feel that the custom molds make the E2C into a much better pair of IEMs.

Mar 23, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by romanesq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got my custom molds via Ear Plugs, ear phones and white noise machines for everyone, Earplugs for Musicians and Swimming! for my triple fi pros. Love them.
For $115 they send you the kit you do it at home and in just over a week I had them.

When they send back the custom molds they also send you the impressions. They have about two dozen models of the major companies to choose from and invite people to mention others to them.

I totally agree with you that nothing compares to a custom fit. I'm very surprised that a company would allow someone to make the impressions of their ears anywhere besides an audiologist or hearing professional's office. I guess we are lucky that this company doesn't sell custom fit teeth because they would probably send you a needle full of novocaine and a drill with some instructions. LOL

Mar 24, 2009 at 1:23 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by originalsnuffy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did want to clarify. I do already have one pair of custom molds. The total cost including the fitting was $70. I do feel that the custom molds make the E2C into a much better pair of IEMs.

Had a nice conversation with Originalsnuffy privately and he was nice enough to tell me exactly where he had his ear impressions made. It was at the Ridgedale Mall in the Minneapolis area. In his email, he mentioned that the kiosk might no longer be there and sure enough (according to the Ridgedale Mall website) they aren't. This makes sense because once again, I was quoted up to $100 to have impressions made. Maybe the difference is that I was calling audiologists and hearing professionals??? Personally, I wouldn't want anyone else touching my ears. This is partly why I choose Earsound over others because the price was all inclusive and they sent me to an audiologist to have the impressions made.

Mar 24, 2009 at 1:34 PM Post #7 of 7
Had the moulds done this morning by my local audiologist. To be used with my monster ER4. Total price ALL included will be about $160. Am now without any other phone than my sons DT770 for 2 weeks
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back