Custom molds - venting?
Mar 26, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where are you located? I'd be willing to buy cheap pair of IEMs just for him to try his project out, and if it works out well, then give him the super-fi's. $30 is not much and you can experiement first with cheaper phones than your best pair.

Czech Republic, pretty good idea though. There are two people behind this, the audiologists and the technician who is going to make the custom mold for me...I didnt have a chance to speak with him last time. All I know is that his past experiences include hearing aids and special earphones for police(whatever you call it). Either way I am gonna stop by tomorrow and discuss it all with the technician.

Mar 26, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by cindyk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have just received an email that he would rather take the parts out of the casing and make it similar to UE5c, he is awaiting my agreement. I just hope he wont mess them up somehow.

Well, that is better - more like what the guy here did with his e500's. I would be prepared to totally lose them if it goes bad (as the guy with e500 was prepared to do). It could turn out great like the e500's did. Best of luck. Stick with no venting.

Mar 26, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Indygreg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, that is better - more like what the guy here did with his e500's. I would be prepared to totally lose them if it goes bad (as the guy with e500 was prepared to do). It could turn out great like the e500's did. Best of luck. Stick with no venting.

Yeah, I've seen those e500's, real good. Mine will be clear(as If I had any other option
rolleyes.gif
). No venting - that's for sure. They use similar speakers to UE for hearing aids, or so the technician mentioned in e-mail. Now that you mention it, I think I will let him to make custom molds for Super.fi3 instead of my Super.fi 5 pro to see how it turns out...although Super.fi 5 pro will be a more difficult task.

Mar 26, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnywolfet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you will MUST post pics when you get them back.

Will try. Need to steal a camera from my flatmate first, which won't be such a problem. I am bad at taking pics of things like that though.

Mar 28, 2007 at 5:05 AM Post #21 of 25
I'll second, 10th that the audiologist doesn't know what he's talking about in this case.

What does happen (to me at least) is that there is a pressure that appears when you put them in. It's not as much as if you were in plane, but is more like having a mild cold. You don't need vents because, as everyone says, that's going to make them sound like poo-poo. All you need to do, and it takes seconds, or parts of a second once you get used to it:

Pull down on your earlobe, breaking the seal. Push them back in with one of your free fingers on the same hand (They don't fall out, it's just your keeping them situated where they belong).

That's it. Any trapped air escapes, and because these are custom molds, there's no fiddling around with them to get the seal back, because if they're in right, then they're sealed and that's that.
smily_headphones1.gif
When you're playing with these things at first, you'll probably be all-thumbs and put them in wrong and they'll fall out, and you'll have that congested feeling in your ears... but sit back, relax, and you'll find that they work similarly to your current universal iems, just a lot easier.
smily_headphones1.gif

Just personal opinion, but if you can find another audiologist, I'd try them instead. I really lucked out that I got an awesome audiologist who didn't know the first thing about IEMs, but understood fully how they worked, and he knew what he was doing. I think people have to send the iems off to get adjusted because they fit poorly, which is down to any number of mistakes by the audiologist (not informing the company what silicone compound was used, or using one that dramatically expands/contracts once outside the ear), so remember it all starts there.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 28, 2007 at 11:36 AM Post #22 of 25
Thanks for all the replies, my custom mold is almost finished(I went for Super.fi3 mold instead for obvious reasons). I tested it today, I can't literally feel them in my ears, feels real good. I have a feeling they made the hole too small but there is absolutely no problem fixing that later or so they say. It looks something like this(well, not so professional looking but you get the idea). I will post pics in a few days for those who are interested. Plus I can get them cleaned by supersound for free at any time, isn't that cool
wink.gif

And of course, no venting
tongue.gif

Mar 28, 2007 at 12:22 PM Post #23 of 25
I don't think it's a good idea to put the newly made impressions back in your ear, unless you want them to change shape in ways that you won't be able to tell. Remember certain compounds expand and contract in reaction to heat and pressure - what's in your ears but heat and pressure? If that's what you're doing, it's not a good idea if you want the final product to fit right. I guess the audiologist should have told you that.
frown.gif

Mar 28, 2007 at 1:41 PM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think it's a good idea to put the newly made impressions back in your ear, unless you want them to change shape in ways that you won't be able to tell. Remember certain compounds expand and contract in reaction to heat and pressure - what's in your ears but heat and pressure? If that's what you're doing, it's not a good idea if you want the final product to fit right. I guess the audiologist should have told you that.
frown.gif

No, no. Impressions have been made few days ago. I was trying out the acrylic mold, it was still incavated with the speaker inside. It'll be ready on Friday
cool.gif

Mar 28, 2007 at 7:04 PM Post #25 of 25
Ah, good good. I remember a good while back someone ruined his impressions by putting them back in his ears.
smily_headphones1.gif

I never got to try them out during the process. All I did was send mine off the Sensaphonics.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back