Custom Molds Question
Aug 29, 2012 at 1:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jadawgis732

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, I was wondering how much people's ear canals differ? I find it hard to believe that two random people could not trade their custom molded IEMs and not have a good seal. Or am I wrong? Excuse my naivete. I'm new at this.

Aug 29, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #2 of 10
Unless you trade with your doppleganger, there is difference in people ear canals. Small error in ear impression can lead to a bad fitment.

Sep 10, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #4 of 10
No. Hence the "custom molded" description. The mold is formed by an ear impression which covers the outer and inner ear canals/cavities.

However, universal or generic IEM that's based on the CIEM (custom) will have silicon and/or foam tips.

Sep 10, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #5 of 10
And... When done correctly a CIEM isolates better than a universal.
Before I bought mine I did extensive research here on head-fi and weighed the pros/cons and one of the biggest hit-or-miss issues with CIEMs is the fit. Some have to be re-fitted. Some never get it just right. I was lucky enough to get a perfect fit right out of the gate and have to say the fit and isolation is a definite step-up from my UM2 universal.
So please don't form an opinion by trying on someone else's custom because you will be disappointed.
That's the only drawback... You can't tell your friend: "Man these sound good... Try them"

Sep 11, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #6 of 10
Sep 11, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
This may or may not be true...
Jim

Jim.
I've read on here conflicting statements about CIEM isolation too which is why I wrote "when done correctly". I guess it could depend on ones ears too. YMMV as it were.
My new CIEMs isolate quite a bit better than my UM2 using comply tips. 
I guess it depends on a persons experience with customs(not quanity. Quality).
I'm far from being an expert, but my 1st jump into customs has been a great one and I don't think I could go back to universals. I should have done it a long time ago.
I do feel bad for the ones that could not get theirs done just right because when done correrctly they're nothing short of awesome.

Sep 11, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
I do feel bad for the ones that could not get theirs done just right because when done correrctly they're nothing short of awesome.

This I whole heartily agree with.

The challenge is in getting them right.

Until the Human Manufacturing Factor can be removed, It is a bit of a Crapshoot.

The specs for Etymotic sound isolation can be found here: http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/epcomp.html

Perdy Hard to Beat this level of isolation.

Jim

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #9 of 10
35-42 dBs? The Etys isolate better than most ear plugs.

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #10 of 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back