Custom In-Ear / IEMS comparable to Westone 4R?
Jun 19, 2014 at 10:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

RamGuy

100+ Head-Fier
I recently got a mold of my ears and some custom ear tips for my Westone 4R from my local supplier "Hantek" but sadly their offerings are aimed towards Shure and not Westone (as Westone is not sold in Norway I'm not surprised at all) but they gave it a go as the nozzle of Westone and Shure are basically the same.

Sadly the tips are slipping off the nozzle due to the fact that Westone does not feature the small "bump" at the end of the nozzle, the Westone 4R are also glossy making the nozzle even more slippery so they weren't able to create anything that I could use for my Westone 4R.

This makes me want to dip into the market of custom IEMS all together instead of just getting the actual tips custom molded. As I've been very pleased with Westone thus far owning Westone UM3 and Westone 4R I was looking at the various custom ones offered by Westone.

I would prefer something in the lines of my Westone 4R in terms of performance and sound signature, do anyone know which of the custom Westone series that would fit the task best? I have always used Earphonesolutions.com when importing Westone into Norway, but in order to get a custom model I guess I have to go directly through Westone? Do anyone have any idea if it's even possible to send over a mold from Hantek directly to Westone in order for them to custom mold some of me and send them to Norway?

Jun 19, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #2 of 6
  I recently got a mold of my ears and some custom ear tips for my Westone 4R from my local supplier "Hantek" but sadly their offerings are aimed towards Shure and not Westone (as Westone is not sold in Norway I'm not surprised at all) but they gave it a go as the nozzle of Westone and Shure are basically the same.

Sadly the tips are slipping off the nozzle due to the fact that Westone does not feature the small "bump" at the end of the nozzle, the Westone 4R are also glossy making the nozzle even more slippery so they weren't able to create anything that I could use for my Westone 4R.

This makes me want to dip into the market of custom IEMS all together instead of just getting the actual tips custom molded. As I've been very pleased with Westone thus far owning Westone UM3 and Westone 4R I was looking at the various custom ones offered by Westone.

I would prefer something in the lines of my Westone 4R in terms of performance and sound signature, do anyone know which of the custom Westone series that would fit the task best? I have always used Earphonesolutions.com when importing Westone into Norway, but in order to get a custom model I guess I have to go directly through Westone? Do anyone have any idea if it's even possible to send over a mold from Hantek directly to Westone in order for them to custom mold some of me and send them to Norway?

I have a custom pair of W4R and they sound great - all the positives of the universal, but the bass is even better - it extends below 20hz and is solid with great punch - if you ware having issues with fit with your W4R's (and that may be the case as you spent some serious money on custom tips) - customizing is an option you might want to consider...

Another positive is that you can still use the Epic cable - it is as good as any entry level CIEM cable. These are mine... 

Jun 19, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #3 of 6
So you basically got your Westone 4R ripped apart and reassembled in a custom shell? I have never considered that as a option, that might actually be a much better solution compared to flash out for a entirely new Westone ES-series.

Do you know any companies that might do this sort of thing in Europe?

I just got a mold of my ears and the company (Hantek) made a silicon mold of my ear canals which I use instead of Comply Foam and Shure Olives right on the nozzle. The reason why I wanted a custom mold was due to the fact that I wanted to try it out as I've got a rather steep ear canal making all "universal" ear tips scratching my ear canal which make my ear produces a lot of ear wax and making them uncomfortable after a while. Its better when using "smaller" ones but they don't provide a good seal.

Jun 19, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #4 of 6
  So you basically got your Westone 4R ripped apart and reassembled in a custom shell? I have never considered that as a option, that might actually be a much better solution compared to flash out for a entirely new Westone ES-series.

Do you know any companies that might do this sort of thing in Europe?

I just got a mold of my ears and the company (Hantek) made a silicon mold of my ear canals which I use instead of Comply Foam and Shure Olives right on the nozzle. The reason why I wanted a custom mold was due to the fact that I wanted to try it out as I've got a rather steep ear canal making all "universal" ear tips scratching my ear canal which make my ear produces a lot of ear wax and making them uncomfortable after a while. Its better when using "smaller" ones but they don't provide a good seal.

Cosmic Ears based in Sweden would be your best bet for europe,  Things are a little up and down with them right now due to them setting up a new lab in the uk, but you should be able to get most of the info from the soon to be updated website (basically £125 for a reshell).

Jun 19, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #5 of 6

I have never really looked at it that way 
biggrin.gif
^, but yes....

I think Cosmic Ears in Europe does good reshell work - Inearz in USA only costs $95 to do the reshell and they do great work - depending on what you get quoted in Europe for the reshell, it may be as cheap or cheaper to pay for shipping to the states... maybe not - unsure of shipping charges...

But if you like your 4R's, it is a good option to get them put in a new acrylic shell...

EDIT: Dave beat me to the punch!

Jun 20, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #6 of 6
I'll take a look at Cosmic Ears. Doing a reshell I could make the move from the flush Westone sockets into the Shure socket and actually get a hold of a iOS capable remote cable with Mic which is basically non-existent for my Westone 4R after Westone pulled back their EPIC Mics cable.

I've noted myself a few companies offering reshells of Westone 4R like InEarCustom.com, Custom-IEM.com and UniqueMelodyShop.com and wondered if you had anything good to say about any of these? Shipping IEMs would normally cost next to nothing so doing it in Europe instead of the US might not make much of a difference.

Do you have any recommended replacement cables for the Shure connector including Mic? I've heard rumours about the stock Shure ones not being that good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back