Custom IEMS UNAMPED
Sep 16, 2011 at 1:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Stay808

Head-Fier
I was wondering is it even worth buying custom IEMS if I am going to be running them unamped? I am asking this because I just hate lugging around a huge brick when trying to listen to some decent music on the go.

Sep 16, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #2 of 21
Most CIEMs are apparently pretty good unamped.  A lot of people use their JH16s directly from their iPhones with great results.  Amping them will definitely make them sound better, but it's debatable whether it's worth carrying around the amp.

Sep 16, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #3 of 21
Depends on why you are amping. Honestly, you do not need the power. Out of my iPhone 4 I run the volume about 1/3 of the slider at most. The UE5's would be way loud for me any higher than that. 

If you are amping for some perceived audio difference, you may want to give it a shot and see how it sounds to your ears. I've only got a "cheap" JDS Cmoy and I don't use it with my IEMs. Even running from a battery, it adds noise. The only advantage is the knob for volume adjustment lets me fine tune the volume better than the giant steps the iPhone takes with the volume buttons. 

Sep 16, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #4 of 21
Not necessary but it will most surely improve the sound even more which is important when you are spending 4X as much as universals.  Seems to make the investment more worthwhile.

Sep 16, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #5 of 21
Agree with Autark.

I have UERM's and they sound pretty damn good straight from the Ipod. However, running an external amp warms the sound a bit more to my liking and I like the finer volume control that the amp offers over the pod.

Plus it gives you an excuse to play around with all your toys - 
biggrin.gif

Sep 16, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #6 of 21
The custom IEMs worth the upgrade to get best out of them and they sound amazing through most DAPs (without AMPs use). BTW Custom IEMs sound even better through these DAPs like HM-601, HM-602, HM-801, Sony X1060, S:Flo 2, AMP3 Pro, Kenwood KEG(all has built in AMPs).

Sep 16, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #7 of 21
I have ACS T1s and they sound great without an amp - I have tried them with my D10 amp, but the difference really hasnt been worth carrying around the extra weight. I have found that the T1s sound better through my HM-601 than my Cowon D9...but I think that is down to the hardware in the HM-601 making the T1s sound just that bit better.

Sep 17, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #9 of 21
Depends on the source. A really good source like the Iphone 4 wouldn't benefit that much from amping unless you spend over 150$ and even then the improvements may be small. 

Sep 17, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #10 of 21

Quote:
Depends on the source. A really good source like the Iphone 4 wouldn't benefit that much from amping unless you spend over 150$ and even then the improvements may be small. 

Even a $20 Fiio E6 is an improvement over the iPhone4. The biggest problem with the iPhone/iPod is the lousy low-frequency response - it simply can't provide the current needed to give the bass any real definition.

Sep 17, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #11 of 21

Quote:
Even a $20 Fiio E6 is an improvement over the iPhone4. The biggest problem with the iPhone/iPod is the lousy low-frequency response - it simply can't provide the current needed to give the bass any real definition.

Ahhhh, i dont know about that... The Fiio isnt much for $20 compared to the i4. That's just MO.

Sep 17, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #12 of 21

Quote:
I personally wouldn't bother going unamped, because if your spending money for high end goodies, finish off the goodies!

I run my customs unamped out of my sgs and they sound great. It's much better than any amped universal I've heard and I wouldn't hesitate to pick what I have now over an amped universal. I have an amp but don't wanna bother with the bulk and the fact that the sgs is also my phone so would be a hassle if I got a phone call but I didn't like the bulk when I had just a dap as well.

Sep 17, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #13 of 21

There's nothing wrong with the Iphone 4's bass, it's flat, reference quality it doesn't roll-off like other players. Perhaps you just like the coloration of the Fiio. It's not about current with customs, most are very efficient and sensitive, it's about trying to get the whole system controlled best as possible which low output impedance players will be able to do. The Iphone 4, Clip+ and S:Flo2 have the lowest output impedance (OI). If a source has a high OI, it will bring about dips and humps in the frequency response, the IP4 is among those players that don't do much of this because of it's low OI. 

Sep 17, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #14 of 21

Quote:
Ahhhh, i dont know about that... The Fiio isnt much for $20 compared to the i4. That's just MO.

Well yeah the rest of the SQ is roughly equal to the iPhone4, but the difference in bass definition ('tightness', detail, and punch) is huge...and that's not even with bass boost.

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with the Iphone 4's bass, it's flat, reference quality it doesn't roll-off like other players. Perhaps you just like the coloration of the Fiio. It's not about current with customs, most are very efficient and sensitive, it's about trying to get the whole system controlled best as possible which low output impedance players will be able to do. The Iphone 4, Clip+ and S:Flo2 have the lowest output impedance (OI). If a source has a high OI, it will bring about dips and humps in the frequency response, the IP4 is among those players that don't do much of this because of it's low OI. 

Maybe it is just preference that I don't like the iPhone's output at all, but still...its bass just sounds like mud IMO.

Sep 17, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #15 of 21
I don't see anything (or have heard) that can cause it to sound like mud, unless it's revealing the flaws of the IEM itself. The bass of the IP4 just doesn't swing in response like other players, so there's nothing to complain about. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back