Custom IEMs: quick opinion check.
Oct 6, 2009 at 6:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

dnullify

1000+ Head-Fier
Well, livewires didn't work, so i'm looking up the chain of customs...

My MAX budget is $400 (and that's a stretch).

I'm looking mainly at getting JH5 pros, based on Jerry Harvey's rep alone. There aren't all that many impressions or reviews out, so it's all i've got to go by.

next is the UE4 pro, but many consider the JH5 superior, because apparently the jh5 was designed to compete with the UE5?

the JH5 pros are probably a (considerable) upgrade over livewires.... right? What's your opinion on the subject?

in any case, that's my budget. My mind is pretty much set, but i'd like to run it by you all for a second opinion... i want to make sure i'm not making a poor decision, i don't take spending this amount of money lightly
tongue.gif

I'm probably going to get impressions made tomorrow!

thanks in advance!

Oct 6, 2009 at 12:16 PM Post #2 of 15
I haven't tried the IEMs you speak of, but from what I understand, you have the right idea. JH5 should be a fine choice.

Oct 6, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #3 of 15
Well, JHAudio doesn't accept returns, though they guarantee that they'll work with you until you have the best fit and seal...

So buying a JH5 is a bit of a leap of faith that JHAudio is a good company...

I am a bit concerned, because i don't like buying the lowest end product of any particular company's line.

From what i've read, however, the JH5 is supposed be the best option for that price range...

Oct 6, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #4 of 15
I've Never heard the livewires because I wanted three drivers and livewires had only dual drivers. I've only heard the universal demo of the JH5's but I still like my Alien Ears C-3's better. I think the reason there are so few reviews of the JH5's is that most people go right to the top of the "Harvey's" chain The JH13's.. If I had only had 400.00 max and I could not wait to save for the Harvey's, I would do the C-3's again.

Oct 6, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by dnullify /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, livewires didn't work, so i'm looking up the chain of customs...

My MAX budget is $400 (and that's a stretch).

I'm looking mainly at getting JH5 pros, based on Jerry Harvey's rep alone. There aren't all that many impressions or reviews out, so it's all i've got to go by.

next is the UE4 pro, but many consider the JH5 superior, because apparently the jh5 was designed to compete with the UE5?

The JH5 is the UE5, with some tweaks. Jerry Harvey designed the UE5, and tweaked that design for the JH5. (I talked to him at RMAF and he said "The JH5 is a revision of an older design."). The JH5 does sound very good, based on listening to the universal.

Personally, I'm going to wait, save my money, and get a JH13. Doing a lower step is just a waste of money that could have went into the savings account.

Oct 6, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by barleyguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The JH5 is the UE5, with some tweaks. Jerry Harvey designed the UE5, and tweaked that design for the JH5. (I talked to him at RMAF and he said "The JH5 is a revision of an older design."). The JH5 does sound very good, based on listening to the universal.

Personally, I'm going to wait, save my money, and get a JH13. Doing a lower step is just a waste of money that could have went into the savings account.

wow i totally don't agree with that..

i'm sorry but i don't believe that i need the very very best... if he wants to get a pair of customs for that amount of money.. i reckon he has quite a few choices without having to go all the way to the top.

and if you read the jh5pro appreciation thread, it doesn't seem all that fantastic. reckon the livewires or alien ears would be better.. heck check out unique melody while you're at it.. seems theres a lot of hype about them these days

Oct 6, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Saintkeat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow i totally don't agree with that..

i'm sorry but i don't believe that i need the very very best... if he wants to get a pair of customs for that amount of money.. i reckon he has quite a few choices without having to go all the way to the top.

and if you read the jh5pro appreciation thread, it doesn't seem all that fantastic. reckon the livewires or alien ears would be better.. heck check out unique melody while you're at it.. seems theres a lot of hype about them these days

I was speaking mostly in the first person. I want the JH13's, so for me a mid step really is wasted money.

I did order a Unique Melody remold as well. For the price that's a killer deal, especially if you already have earphones to get remolded. UM appears to have great workmanship, and a good scope on what drivers are available, so I suspect their customs are going to be great.

Oct 6, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #8 of 15
Well, to start I actually already have livewires and intend to rerturn them.
Thefit was completely wrong, causing the sound to be cpletely unbalanced. In addition the customer service was severely lacking and it took about 7 weeks to get to this point.

I group alien ears with livewires, and a avoiding their c3, because I have heard that they can be bassy, and I don't like using EQ.

And to clarify, I don't think I will be able to spend more than $400 on customs till I'm well out of college, which is quite a few years down the road. So, at the $400 price point my options are slightly more limited.

I am leaning towards the jh5 pros because I am of their value coated to UE at that point. The ue5 is $600? Right? If the jh5 is it's updated version for $400, that should mean something good right?

I just figure, at the $400 mark, I can have most low-end customs (livewires, alien ears basically. ) or most of the low level highends.

I guess I'm making this into a "jh5 pro vs alien ears c3" because those are the only options I am seeing. I could be wrong. More suggestions can't Hirt I suppose. :p

Oct 6, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #9 of 15
No competition here.... The JH5's and C-3's are simply in the same price range and other than Livewires, the price jumps significantly. Even the UM's are a bit above that price range so your choices are limited in this price range. I find the C-3's to be on par with the Senn CX500's for bass but with better control and of course the custom fit. The heard a universal demo pair of JH5's so my opinion may be flavoured by the difference between a universal demo and a custom fit. One of the downsides to auditioning Demo customs.

Oct 7, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #10 of 15
actually having listening to my c3s now with the proper fit.. i find that i sometimes have to adjust my EQ to get more bass.. because i found them to be more reference sounding. I've discovered I like some colour in my music.. lol.. i've been switching a lot from the apple rock setting to bass booster to off..

Oct 7, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #11 of 15
Yeah. That's why i dislike EQ, and prefer a set of phones which i like the sound signature of.

I find that i only like EQ with some music, but find myself utilizing the genius playlists often. i dislike having to navigate to the eq settings ever 2 songs.

Oct 7, 2009 at 9:16 AM Post #12 of 15
yup my point is.. c3s don't have a whole lot of bass... its more reference sounding.. not quite my cup of tea but i'll live with it.. i guess they sound similar to the SE530..

honestly the best musical genre to listen to with the c3s are jazz and acoustics... for rock i have to bump up the eq a bit..

Oct 7, 2009 at 10:06 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by dnullify /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And to clarify, I don't think I will be able to spend more than $400 on customs till I'm well out of college, which is quite a few years down the road. So, at the $400 price point my options are slightly more limited.

In that case why not consider a universal? Your options will be less limited.

Oct 7, 2009 at 11:37 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In that case why not consider a universal? Your options will be less limited.

I agree. I am a huge proponent of customs, but if you aren't a musician, just get the UM3X or something, you will likely be happier, then you can tweak, trade/sell and not worry about being locked into a decision.

I would never spend that money on universals when things like Fidelity duals (which I own) and UE4, JH5 are around, but for you, it seems like that may be a good fit.

Oct 7, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #15 of 15
Yeah. I actually have owned a relatively wide selection of universals, and have never been able to get a comfortable fit.

I don't know whether i've just got odd ears, or sensitive ears, but i've pretty much ruled out high-end universals. I don't see any point in spending so much on something i won't be able to wear for more than 45 minutes...

I think JH5 it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back