Custom IEMs... Are they for me?
Aug 6, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #31 of 41
Quote:
The fact still remains that customs companies make generic fitting versions to give customers a representation of the final product. Aurisonics is a company that actually sells their generic models, as do a few others. I think in those cases you can take the generic fitting model to be a pretty decent representation of the product. 

EDIT: Whats 'home' for you? I see you said home brand

By “home” I mean the United States as oppose to, well, China. It's just a little patriotic guilt for not doing due-diligence in supporting American manufacturing  (especially, with the Olympics and all). Anywayzzz.....

I'm not that familiar with Aurisonics. I believe (and I may be mistaken) that I passed on an opportunity to hear a demo and get a free impression done a few weeks ago in Nashville where they were part of a 3 day event. I'm in Memphis. I didn't go after reading that the isolation wasn't so good with this particular brand. Again, if I'm mistaken, I apologize.

Isolation is paramount for me. My only need for IEMs --period-- is for traveling in a somewhat noisy truck.

Aug 6, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #32 of 41
Isolation with the generic model isn't the greatest apparently. I wouldn't know, but that is something that is correct. It seems to be a common issue for people with the generic model. 

That being said, custom models have a perfect seal (obviously). Their process ensures that fact. 
Quote:
By “home” I mean the United States as oppose to, well, China. It's just a little patriotic guilt for not doing due-diligence in supporting American manufacturing  (especially, with the Olympics and all). Anywayzzz.....

I'm not that familiar with Aurisonics. I believe (and I may be mistaken) that I passed on an opportunity to hear a demo and get a free impression done a few weeks ago in Nashville where they were part of a 3 day event. I'm in Memphis. I didn't go after reading that the isolation wasn't so good with this particular brand. Again, if I'm mistaken, I apologize.

Isolation is paramount for me. My only need for IEMs --period-- is for traveling in a somewhat noisy truck.

Aug 6, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #33 of 41
Quote:
Isolation with the generic model isn't the greatest apparently. I wouldn't know, but that is something that is correct. It seems to be a common issue for people with the generic model. 

That being said, custom models have a perfect seal (obviously). Their process ensures that fact. 

It may well be the generic (universal?) issue (as you say). But really, it's also one of my concerns regarding the Merlin (a full custom). It's the venting of the dynamic driver (that I fear) causes less of an isolated situation than say the Miracle. Noise destroys any gain in detail or bass.

Aug 6, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #34 of 41
Quote:
It may well be the generic (universal?) issue (as you say). But really, it's also one of my concerns regarding the Merlin (a full custom). It's the venting of the dynamic driver (that I fear) causes less of an isolated situation than say the Miracle. Noise destroys any gain in detail or bass.

The merlin's drivers don't seem to be vented anymore. They still have a hole in the back but probably for heat dissipation? The miracle does have slightly better isolation than the merlin. Merlin is my favourite though but not because it's better in any particular way. I find listening to the merlin I can forget about analysing the music/source/iems and drift away more easily. Mids on the miracle are more similar to your 535s.

I think you may need to have realistic expectations of what isolation is actually possible with these things. Both the merlin and the miracle isolate about as well as your ear impressions will so I'm not sure how one could improve on that to any great degree. I doubt you would notice any downgrade re isolation going from the 535s to the merlin. I have a feeling that even filling your ears with sand wouldn't block out the background noise of a diesel engine. (untested 
regular_smile .gif
)

Aug 6, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #35 of 41
Quote:
The merlin's drivers don't seem to be vented anymore. They still have a hole in the back but probably for heat dissipation? The miracle does have slightly better isolation than the merlin. Merlin is my favourite though but not because it's better in any particular way. I find listening to the merlin I can forget about analysing the music/source/iems and drift away more easily. Mids on the miracle are more similar to your 535s.

I think you may need to have realistic expectations of what isolation is actually possible with these things. Both the merlin and the miracle isolate about as well as your ear impressions will so I'm not sure how one could improve on that to any great degree. I doubt you would notice any downgrade re isolation going from the 535s to the merlin. I have a feeling that even filling your ears with sand wouldn't block out the background noise of a diesel engine. (untested 
regular_smile%20.gif
)

“Realistic expectations” is a mischaracterization. What I have is questions. I currently have good isolation (I've tested it) and I aim to maintain that in my next IEM. I would have no inherit concerns about the Miracle (if I were going that route). I specifically made that distinction. It's the D-driver venting that had me concerned. But, if (as you say) there's been a redesign of the Merlin, then that's good.

Aug 6, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #36 of 41
Quote:
“Realistic expectations” is a mischaracterization. 

I think I phrased that badly. If you drew the inference that your expectations were unrealistic, I apologise. Wasn't intended that way. I just didn't want you getting your hopes up regarding isolation with customs. If I were in your shoes I would base a decision on comfort and sound rather than isolation. Most customs isolate well but road noise is probably gonna test them.

Aug 6, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #37 of 41
I forgot to mention that Aurisonics changed the shape slightly of the generic so it fits more people and gets a better seal. They changed the angle of the nozzle a bit and one or two other parts I don't remember by name (the nub at the top is smaller....for example). 
Quote:

Aug 7, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #38 of 41
I get what you mean now, wahu, and thanks.

But yeah, isolation is key for my particular usage. There's no getting around it (unless I change jobs). I love the truck environment (believe it, or not) for listening to music (despite the noise). It nudges you (allows you) to concentrate on the important aspects of your music. You can be analytical at home and listen for the “parting of lips” and the second and third echo (while easily distracted by the outside world). In the truck, it's the energy, dynamics, rhythm, and heart of the music that gets your attention (and you're kinda locked in). Plus, I feel there's a strange phenomenon that improves the soundstaging (but maybe that's just me).

I sure would like to test drive and A/B the Merlin and JH16. I wonder which would most appeal to me. Sure, there's some other CIEMs I'd like to try but these are the two I've contemplated the longest.

Aug 7, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #39 of 41
You keep mentioning things that describe how the AS-2's sound. Keep an eye out for them. More reviews should be coming soon. 
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckdriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In the truck, it's the energy, dynamics, rhythm, and heart of the music that gets your attention (and you're kinda locked in). Plus, I feel there's a strange phenomenon that improves the soundstaging (but maybe that's just me).

Aug 7, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #40 of 41
Quote:
I sure would like to test drive and A/B the Merlin and JH16. I wonder which would most appeal to me. Sure, there's some other CIEMs I'd like to try but these are the two I've contemplated the longest.

I tested the jh16 demo unit before getting my merlins. They sound pretty different down low. I have a hunch that the sharp impact and hyper detailed jh16 bass would be more likely to distinguish itself in a noisy environment.

Aug 8, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #41 of 41
Quote:
Notice how that's not the part of my rig I wish to replace.....Yea, it's a winner. I heard them with a DX100 at a Head-Fi meet up and it was pretty awesome. 

Line Out actually isn't terrible right now. I find the Pico Slim pairs nicely with the AS-2's so I am getting some really solid soundstage out of the iPod. Weird, but so very very true. 

The DX100 is spectacular with some most of my CIEMs, and the 801 fills in when the DX100 doesn't synergize!  

Quote:
No, the 535 and IE8 are not good regardless of source and circumstance. I only got special sound out of my previous 535 with only one source. I don't think any speaker is good regardless of source and situational location.

My first speaker purchase for my first car (used Audi) were 3-way 6x9 Pioneers. They didn't fit in the rear speaker opening. I bought some 6x9 boxes and set them (forward-facing) in the rear window, but the bass was lousy, mid and highs were mediocre (harsh and bright). I sold them to a friend who fitted them in the rear space in his old Monte Carlo and they sounded great. Same speakers, different situation and source.

The phenomenon you describe about the custom-demo is similar. Same speakers, yet somehow, you don't believe they do justice to the final custom-fitted version. Well, I think my lubricated deep triple-flange insertion (for my ear canal) yields a better result with the 535. It's not just “good seal”, but placement, source, and situation.

It's that phenomenon that may cause some people to scoff at the notion that I would post about good bass, 3D, wide-soundstage, instrument placement,  and so on,  with an earphone (535) that they are absolutely certain is over-hyped and nothing special (to say the least). I once thought the same thing about the same earphone. And, now that my source is damaged and my earphones have been replaced (with “new ones” from Shure), ---I've come full circle.

BTW, If I can't fix the S2 (rather than try to buy a new one of the same kind (sgh-t989 Hercules--not Titanium). I will likely go with the DX100 instead. Then, if the "new" 535 doesn't match well with DX100, --the custom search is on. The Merlin has an early lead, but I'd prefer a home brand with similar qualities.

OK, so the 535 matched well with one source, got it.  Seems like your level of sophistication is pretty high.  To my ears the 535 has driver mis-match issues and I have never heard it sound great to my ears.  You may want to try CIEMs like the GR07 and the GR01 to see how those perform as they both do things well IMO, especially given the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back