Custom IEMs and wisdom teeth
Oct 21, 2008 at 6:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

chowk

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone had custom IEMs then had their wisdom teeth taken out afterwards? If so, did it affect the fit / seal at all?

I've just been told by my dentist I need to have both my lower wisdom teeth taken out as soon as possible...
confused.gif

Oct 21, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #2 of 8
I can't how removig your wisdom teeth shoul effect the ear canal. Only the jawbone causes some movement in the ear.

And ouch!!!

Oct 21, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #3 of 8
That's actually a fascinating question... I believe, with good certainty, that the answer is no.

First, when you get your wisdom teeth removed (a procedure performed by a dentist, not a physician of course) there is a void where the teeth used to be. However, this eventually fills in, you don't walk around with deep holes where your wisdom teeth use to be forever, so any potential shifting of the ear canal would eventually be off-set.

Second, if I remember correctly, the wisdom teeth are surrounded by the bone of the jaw, so even if the pits created by their removal were permanent, the rest of the mandible would still provide support.

Just my .02

Oct 21, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #4 of 8
Thanks for the info guys, it's reassuring nonetheless. I also emailed UltimateEars and they haven't heard of any fit issues after having wisdom teeth removed.

I'm not looking forward to the procedure one jot. I will post back my findings once I've had the op...

Nov 28, 2008 at 2:15 PM Post #7 of 8
as a dental student.. im quite sure that removal of your wisdom teeth wont have a permanent effect on the fit of ur IEMS. i wouldn't expect the swelling if any to extend that far up!

Nov 28, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #8 of 8
Based on my understanding of anatomy, Having your wisdom teeth pulled should have no detremental effect on your IEM's. Your jaw and muscles will be sore for several days and may make the wearing your IEM's a little uncomfortable until the ligaments and tendons heal.

The only part of your jaw that effects the fit of your IEM's would be the Temporomandibular Joints TMJ's. This is the part that articulates with the base of the temporal bone and the reason some Customs Builders prefer open or closed mouth impressions. The Part of the mandible that seats the teeth, wisdom or otherwise is forward of the ramus (Angle) of the jaw, and the TMJ's are several cm's superior and posterior to the ramus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back