Custom IEM Recommendation
Feb 18, 2018 at 3:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

FrostyToast

New Head-Fier
Hello,
I'm getting mildly interested in getting custom IEMs. Never really thought I could justify the dough for it, but since I really wanted headphones I could wear without anyone hearing anything from me as well as something really nice for portable use, CIEMs seem like the way to go.

After some quick looking, the Alclair Tour monitors seem really good for me. They tout wide soundstage, good for vocals, bass, drums, and guitar; pretty much everything on my list of things I want.
However, I couldn't find any real sources for reviews on them. Even if what Alclair says is true, I don't know if there are any weird sibilance issues, lack of clarity, missing imaging, etc. All I could find about Alclair IEMs was that a couple of people here and there liked their Reference triple driver as it was really nice for its price to performance.

So, in case no one can give me an opinion on the Alclair Tour monitors, I'll just say what I like/ what I'm looking for and see if people have anything to offer.

Budget: $600. Especially if I do any add-ons for aesthetics, anything above $600 base is going to hurt, but if there is something I just have to have for that extra $1-200, it wouldn't hurt to hear your suggestions.

Genres: Rock and pop, and I usually never have songs without vocals.

Sound Signature and things I appreciate:
Good bass of some sort. Something that gives good impact without feeling too loose would be good. I'm not a bass-head so it doesn't need to pound my chest, but it does need to have presence.
Vocals are great. Let me hear them! If they must be pushed back a little for some added soundstage, I won't mind, but I do still care about vocal presence equally as much as bass.
Brightness isn't me. I don't necessarily need warmth but it's also not unwelcome. At the least I want the treble tamed so that it only has as much presence as the music tells it to.
Soundstage is good. I actually find that rather than making things super warm and possibly too dark, soundstage helps me get the less fatiguing sound I want instead.
Clarity, I just need enough so that I don't notice any deficiencies in it.

I welcome all suggestions possible, even if you have CIEMs that don't fall into what I may or may not want, you can try and sell me on them based on what you like from them.

Feb 20, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #2 of 3
Sound preferences are very subjective, especially as we go deeper into CIEM world. I have tried some of the TOTL ones out there. As for me, I prefer Jomo Flamenco over QDC Gemini which I didn't expect prior to listening. The CIEM is also dependent to your current setup. What I could say here is to try them on your own and decide. The reviews can go on and on raving but you are the one purchasing so final decision is up to you.

Feb 20, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #3 of 3
Its not too late to go customs after you try some universals.

I had a few ciems a while back. They look pretty and comfy but when you want to move on and try something new, you might end up selling your ciems dirt cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back