Custom IEM choices and options
Jul 21, 2011 at 5:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Delwrick

New Head-Fier
Hey guys! It's been a good year and a half since I've posted on these forums and I've grown quite a bit as far as what I've learned and listened too. I am a regular gigging drummer and I've gone through a crap load of top tier universal cans and to be honest I need to up it another step and take my first step towards having a pair of custom IEM's that I can use for stage monitoring and of course listening to music. Everything from the monster turbine to the shure se530 to the westone um3x has gone through my ears over a course of a year and a half and I've finally come to a conclusion on what I prefer as a sound signature.

I'm looking for monitors that and pretty neutral but with an emphasis on bass. Not particularly rolling bass, but punchy, and tight. I prefer a warmer signature but bright highs. Do you guys have any reccomendations? I've narrowed down my options to a few companies.

Jh5
1964-t
Ue4 pro
Livewire trips

To my knowledge the livewires have had a run of bad customer service so I'm a little against it already. I know that jhaudio has an amazing reputation but I've also heard amazing things about the 1964 monitors as well and I've been emailing around with all the companies as well. As of now I'm leaning towards the 1964. The main music of choice is metal, so clarity while gigging is a huge factor. Any thoughts?

I'm also looking into purchasing a portable headphone amp. This i have no experience with so it's a pretty open field. I've heard of FiiO because of it's cheaper price but my knowledge hits a wall there.

Jul 21, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #2 of 18
Westone and Unique Melody also make high quality customs in your price range.

Jul 21, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #4 of 18
I don't have experience with their customs. I was just pointing out more options for you. There should be reviews posted on this forum if you do a search, however.

The Westone ES1 and UM Marvel are $375 and $449 respectively I believe.

Jul 21, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #5 of 18
I personally have the Unique Melody Miracles and can speak for their quality. They are really amazing. I cannot find fault in the shells at all. And they have recently upgraded their artwork if this is something that appeals to you, so they now can compete with the big companies in that department. I haven't heard the Marvel's personally, but depending on your location you may be able to get your hands on some Univeral Demo's to trial the sound before purchasing.

Jul 21, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #6 of 18
I personally have the Unique Melody Miracles and can speak for their quality. They are really amazing. I cannot find fault in the shells at all. And they have recently upgraded their artwork if this is something that appeals to you, so they now can compete with the big companies in that department. I haven't heard the Marvel's personally, but depending on your location you may be able to get your hands on some Univeral Demo's to trial the sound before purchasing.

I'm located in Seattle Washington. I see in your signature that you have the ue tf10's. How do the melodies compare to those? It's something I would be able to gauge since I owned ue tf10's at one point.

Jul 21, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #7 of 18
Some companies will send you a demo custom which is kind of half custom half universal. The sound is usually not quite as good as a full custom, but it will show you the intended signature of the full custom. I know UM does this. You can apply on their website, I believe.

Jul 21, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #8 of 18
I suggest you check out Sensaphonics. The 2X-S ($750) and 2MAX ($850) neutral and very accurate. The 3MAX ($1050) is similar in mids and highs, but adds an extra bass driver that might be just the thing for your desired signature. Very comfortable (medical grade silicone), great customer service, great sound.

BTW, if you're in Seattle, I strongly recommend Amy Stewart at Washington Audiology. She totally 'gets it' vis-a-vis the musician's perspective.

As an MOT, I can't comment on other products or do comparisons. Good luck in your search.

Jul 21, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #9 of 18

Quote:
I'm located in Seattle Washington. I see in your signature that you have the ue tf10's. How do the melodies compare to those? It's something I would be able to gauge since I owned ue tf10's at one point.

I'm actually still burning in my Miracles, and haven't done an A/B compare since I got them, but I will say that the Miracles don't sound like the Marvel's they all have a very 'personal' sound signature. I can give you an idea of the signature of the Miracle if you like. But they are around $1,000 once you account for everything.

As Maxvla and I previously mentioned, I would be worth checking out some Universal Customs to test them out. UM do it via their website, just need to put a deposit down and if you decide to go ahead you can use the deposit as a downpayment and just pay the difference or have it refunded if you decide to go another way. I know JHA also have demo's around, but being from Australia myself can't comment on where to get them in the US.

Jul 21, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #10 of 18
I suggest you check out Sensaphonics. The 2X-S ($750) and 2MAX ($850) neutral and very accurate. The 3MAX ($1050) is similar in mids and highs, but adds an extra bass driver that might be just the thing for your desired signature. Very comfortable (medical grade silicone), great customer service, great sound.

BTW, if you're in Seattle, I strongly recommend Amy Stewart at Washington Audiology. She totally 'gets it' vis-a-vis the musician's perspective.

As an MOT, I can't comment on other products or do comparisons. Good luck in your search.

Thanks for the audiologist reccomendation! Sensaphonics would have been an amazing option considering the cans are silicone, but unfortunately my pockets just aren't deep enough. I'm only 19, and I've mowed a great deal of lawns already, my options are limited. Haha.

Jul 21, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #11 of 18
I'm actually still burning in my Miracles, and haven't done an A/B compare since I got them, but I will say that the Miracles don't sound like the Marvel's they all have a very 'personal' sound signature. I can give you an idea of the signature of the Miracle if you like. But they are around $1,000 once you account for everything.

As Maxvla and I previously mentioned, I would be worth checking out some Universal Customs to test them out. UM do it via their website, just need to put a deposit down and if you decide to go ahead you can use the deposit as a downpayment and just pay the difference or have it refunded if you decide to go another way. I know JHA also have demo's around, but being from Australia myself can't comment on where to get them in the US.

1000 dollars? Jeez. Definitely out of my price range, but I'd love to hear them one day.

Jul 21, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #12 of 18
The nice thing about buying the lower models from these companies is that while the tech may not be as nice as the top tier models, they are made on the same machinery so you know the quality will be every bit as good in terms of fit and finish as well as durability.

Jul 21, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #13 of 18
As Maxvla and I previously mentioned

Sorry, didn't mean to step on your toes. I didn't fully read your post before. Hazard of skimming threads :xf_eek:

Jul 21, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #14 of 18

Quote:
Sorry, didn't mean to step on your toes. I didn't fully read your post before. Hazard of skimming threads
redface.gif

Not at all. 
beerchug.gif
If nothing else reinforcing a good idea, I really should have auditioned more CIEM's before my purchase. Now I find myself in the position of possibly having 2 sets as I want to hear the difference between the Miracle and the JH16.
ksc75smile.gif

Quote:
The nice thing about buying the lower models from these companies is that while the tech may not be as nice as the top tier models, they are made on the same machinery so you know the quality will be every bit as good in terms of fit and finish as well as durability.

Absolutely agree. The Marvel's will look and feel just like my Miracle and the build quality was amazing, I would expect the Marvel to be just as good. Now this might have a been a case of luck. But I also didn't have to worry about re-fits as mine we perfect first time. I had already resigned myself to the idea that the first time around I would need them re-fit, but I didn't. I experience a slight bit of discomfort the first day, and after that. Perfect.

Quote:
1000 dollars? Jeez. Definitely out of my price range, but I'd love to hear them one day.

That's for the top tier Miracle, the Marvel's are still within your price range. :D And as mentioned about, aside from some of the tech and the sound signature the Marvel's will be ultimately the same product. And if you like the sound signature of the Marvel. This would be a highly recommended option. Often regarded around here that UM have one of the highest quality built CIEM's, and come in at a very attractive price point.

Jul 21, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #15 of 18
It's probably also worth mentioning from a 'tried and tested' point of view that there are a lot of very happy 1964-Ears customers around the forums. Especially with the Triple's and the Quads. If I were you, my choice would be between the 1964-Ears Triples and the UM Marvel's. And if you can get yourself a demo pair for auditions, you'll be a very happy camper either way, just choose the one with the correct signature for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back