Custom Earphone Durability
Mar 17, 2010 at 3:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

chaosfayt

100+ Head-Fier
Hey I was just wondering, how durable is a custom exactly. Do we really have to baby our customs or can it take knocks and shocks like a man Wink

Share your experiences with custom usage and durability here! I'd like to know about them =)

Mar 17, 2010 at 4:13 AM Post #2 of 8
My first pair of customs are on order but from reading the "user manual" it basically says to baby them so I think they would not take shocks well over time. I suppose it goes for all customs since they are all mostly built the same way.

Mar 17, 2010 at 4:24 AM Post #3 of 8
Even when the earpieces of my JH13 click and clack against eachother I'm a bit unsettled. I'm inclined to believe they're more fragile than not.

Mar 17, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #4 of 8
I've never had customs, but as a general rule IEMs with balanced armatures (nearly all customs) are more fragile than their dynamic driver brethren. Even dropping them once could, potentially damage them enough to permanently alter the sound. Of course, most people who spend money on customs treat them carefully enough to avoid such hazards.

Mar 17, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #5 of 8
Off topic

JxK, I noticed you have M6's with the memory wire removed. How did you remove it, is the plastic harness/tube still in place over the wire?
I know it can be removed by cutting the harness/tube off and cutting the memory wire, but I would like to have the tube and only get rid of the memory wire.

Mar 17, 2010 at 8:45 AM Post #6 of 8
There really was no "tube" per se. The M6 had a rubber sleeve with the memory wire inside. When I removed the wire, I cut off the sleeve entirely, except at the edge where the cable meets the strain relief. I don't think it is possible to leave the sleeve and just remove the wire because the sleeve "hugs" the wire to the cable rather tightly. I suppose it would be technically possible to just slice off the edge of the sleeve to expose the wire and pull it out...but you would need tweezers and a stronger grip with your fingers than I have.

Mar 17, 2010 at 8:53 AM Post #7 of 8
Thanks for the tweezers tip, I'll try that
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 17, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #8 of 8
Good luck. And if it doesn't work out, just remember that I have a perfectly serviceable pair just itching to find their way to a new owner.
wink.gif
[/shameless plug]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back