Custom E3 foamies: I FOUND SOME BASS! [PICS INSIDE]
Apr 2, 2006 at 3:05 AM Post #2 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by poonpower
but what did you use as the foams? and where did u get the tubes from?
thanks

Will add to main post.

Apr 2, 2006 at 3:11 AM Post #3 of 20
Hehe, can you send a pair to me? I'd like to try them with my E4s.

Apr 2, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #4 of 20
did you try and make the ones I posted? I think the better sound Isolation will give you the same result.. mine fit very comfortable and at any depth you want, I would think the size of the tube was designed to deliver sound in a certain way and enlarging might enhance bass but at what cost?

also i see in your image that the foamies are compressing your tubes before they are even inserted in your ears, how much more are they being compressed after that?

for those new to this thread mine are posted in Dukes Original thread.
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=171771

Apr 2, 2006 at 3:32 AM Post #5 of 20
After reading about the weak bass, receiving a bargain pair of E3s, and playing around with EQs to no end I was about to give up and live with decent clarity over relatively strong lows.

Then I saw one modded foamies which looked cool, but I doubted if they did anything significant but isolate. I then designed my hi-fi foamies. Sorry for the webcam pics.

The Adaptors and Hi-fis:

Adaptors alone:

Hi-fis alone:

picture00310mz.jpg

picture00516ll.jpg

Vs: Stock yellow foamies:

Foamies on E3s+in ear

What they're made of:

The adaptors are made of the parts from the clear rubber tips included with the E3s.

The foamies are made out of standard earplugs used for industrial purposes that can be picked up at your local home depot.

The tubing is the trick to the great sound here. You need to use 1/4" tubing. That's in comparison to the 3.5mm of the original tubing in the yellow foamies. That's a 100% increase. That's what gives the significant improvement.

The good:

As stated, they really bring out the soundstage to the E3s, and honestly, they really rival the E4gs that I tried. The system is simple, the adaptors to the E3s to the hi-fis. The clarity is also greatly improved to an E4-level. They put the stock yellow foamies to shame; literally.

The bad:

They stick out from the ears alot and are weird when you first place them in. They do not actually go into your ears alot, but the sound isolation is on par, or slightly better than the stock yellow foamies. The foam is a bit coarser on the outside, but overal they're more comfy. The hi-fis as you can see from comparison are huge which are needed for the improved bass and soundstage.

The ugly:

They are a pain to make; but all in all, it was worth it!

The future:

I plan on getting other people's impressions on these, and I may consider making these and selling these as a very cheap replacement for stock foamies and the weird rubber ones that don't isolate very well.

The extras that I haven't decided what to do with yet:

Apr 2, 2006 at 3:34 AM Post #6 of 20
Whoa, those are some blurry pictures.

Apr 2, 2006 at 3:36 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by n1cx
Whoa, those are some blurry pictures.

Sorry about those, you get the general idea though.

Apr 2, 2006 at 3:41 AM Post #8 of 20
I'm really wanting to try odd materials wrapped around a tube taken out of an old pair of foamies. I'm thinking that if I were to use matierials like silly putty or that grey putty earaser might be interesting to try. It might be a poorman's custom fits.

Apr 2, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaroncort
I'm really wanting to try odd materials wrapped around a tube taken out of an old pair of foamies. I'm thinking that if I were to use matierials like silly putty or that grey putty earaser might be interesting to try. It might be a poorman's custom fits.

lol just might work..

Apr 2, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli
You can either build them, or get a pair from me somehow. I think I will end up sending them to a few members here with E3s and giving their impressions. And of course you'd get to keep them in the end.

Send a pair to me!!!!!
icon10.gif

I have e3c coming in next week, I am excited to try the stock foamies and some DIY foamies.

Apr 2, 2006 at 3:57 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by poonpower
where do I get the 'Hi-fis' and the adapters??

You can either build them, or get a pair from me somehow. I think I will end up sending them to a few members here with E3s and giving their impressions. And of course you'd get to keep them in the end.

Apr 2, 2006 at 10:54 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by GravY
did you try and make the ones I posted? I think the better sound Isolation will give you the same result.. mine fit very comfortable and at any depth you want, I would think the size of the tube was designed to deliver sound in a certain way and enlarging might enhance bass but at what cost?

also i see in your image that the foamies are compressing your tubes before they are even inserted in your ears, how much more are they being compressed after that?

for those new to this thread mine are posted in Dukes Original thread.
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=171771

The problem with the ones you recommended is that these neet to be able to stretch like mad. You get very little extra compression until they're in your ear. Remember the tubing is 1/4"; you need foamies that can expand on top of that.

I will be giving out 3 sets of foamies to whomever would like to try them, then post what they think about them on this thread. I'm not sure if the driver tube on the E4s is the same size as the E3s. So if you're interested in trying these, PM me, and I'll do a draw or something so it's fair. I'll cover shipping.

Apr 2, 2006 at 10:59 PM Post #14 of 20
I believe the Shure E3, E4 and E5 all have the same size opening. So, the foam sleeves should fit the E4.

Apr 2, 2006 at 11:29 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli
The problem with the ones you recommended is that these neet to be able to stretch like mad. You get very little extra compression until they're in your ear. Remember the tubing is 1/4"; you need foamies that can expand on top of that.

I will be giving out 3 sets of foamies to whomever would like to try them, then post what they think about them on this thread. I'm not sure if the driver tube on the E4s is the same size as the E3s. So if you're interested in trying these, PM me, and I'll do a draw or something so it's fair. I'll cover shipping.

mine fit over the tube size designed for the e3's.. you are putting a larger size tube on those right? your tube is not as rigid as the stock foamie tube and you can see in your images the your tube is arleady being compressed by your plug, further compression is going to happen when inserted in your ear.. I dont see the upside to this at all..

you mention the plug cannot be insterted very far in your ear due to the size, mine can be inserted to the depth you need, when the plug expands you have a seal that is better than anything I have heard (or not heard
tongue.gif
) before.. the seal is by far better than the stock foamies, the better the seal the better the bass reproduction and clearer your mids and highs, you can listen at low volumes and experience great sound and not have to compete with outside noise..

mine can also be made in the matter of minutes and its quite easy..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back