Custom Cans Impressions Thread.
Mar 28, 2020 at 11:58 PM Post #32 of 244
Jason was extremely patient with me over email while I decided on exactly what I wanted for my new Focal Elears.

The customer support before purchase was absolutely fantastic, hoping to get my cable within the next month!

Apr 3, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #33 of 244
I've mentioned CC about 7-8 times in the headphone thread. They made a fine XLR cable for my HD-600 back in 2017, then in Q3 '19 made another XLR cable for me - for my HFM HE6se. I got confused and ordered the wrong connection. They took it back and re-terminated for no charge and sent it back. Only very solid outfits behave like that.

-- break-in alert --

I want to interject a more scientific way of studying "break-in": For my 6se, I listened only 1 hour of every 10 of "break-in". Around each hour I would listen to two hours of my best cans to keep my ears tuned to my usual taste - so I wouldn't be led astray by the "new toy". I took notes, I kept listening to the same tracks. I went to 120 hours, my last noted change was at 90, the last big change was around 60 hours.

I don't think cables break-in. But having owned my first Magnepan in 1978, and several other brands of panel speakers: Speakers companies with mylar membranes have noted the reality and need of break in - some for as long as 150 hours, before many of you were born. And yes, they did break-in - Maggies in particular had a notable upper mid/low treble edge until broken in. I have noted some large dynamic bass drivers change over time, but, not mids and tweets. Ribbons don't break in either, nor AMT's.

Also capacitors - audiophile ones can take a long time to break-in, so any amp or pre-amp loaded with those is liable to change unless it was pre-shipment broken in.

Apr 21, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #34 of 244
Just wanna say how impressed i am with Custom Cans customer service. I contacted them about my cable, as being the clutz i can be, i managed to knock my player onto the carpet, and in turn, broke the 2.5mm termination.
So i asked if i could return it for repair. They replied promptly, said that was fine, and so i posted it off. The postage took a while, partly due to the Bank Holiday, and obviously because of the Covid-19 business. I touched base a week and a bit in, to see if they'd received it, and i got a reply to say it was about to be done, and posted back. Well, it was, but at no point was i charged for this service. Now i understand that I've only had the headphones and cable a few weeks, so a warranty will be in place, but this wasn't a defective part, it was my fault.

So to @jfunk and the team at Custom Cans, a massive thank you for getting my cans back to their best, and you have a customer and recommendation for life.
20200421_183240.jpg

Jun 19, 2020 at 2:53 AM Post #38 of 244
Received my D7200 cable. Anyone knows which colored plug is meant to be the right side? Got a silver and gold colored one.
Well.. It is a bit embarrassing, It is supposed to be gold for right and rhodium for left but we have 2 cable technicians and I just found out one was making them the other way. I would recommend using the video in the link below to double check

Jun 19, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #39 of 244
Well.. It is a bit embarrassing, It is supposed to be gold for right and rhodium for left but we have 2 cable technicians and I just found out one was making them the other way. I would recommend using the video in the link below to double check

Thanks jfunk, it was indeed the other way around and the video helped me. Stay safe guys!

Jun 26, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #41 of 244
Jason hooked me up with a pair of their Beyerdynamic "Custom Cans Uber DT990 headphones with modified drivers and a detachable, balanced, 4-pin XLR litz cable," to go with my pro audio setup. I come from the music mixing/mastering world, so I was looking for something that had the power, air, dimension, dynamics, frequency range, and soundstage of studio monitors. The idea was to get them ruler flat and actually make them sound like I was working in a perfect studio room.
Here is the meat of how it was acheived:
  • Custom Cans modded Uber DT990 headphones
  • A Revive Audio Platinum Package mod for a Universal Audio interface.
  • A modded (permission not given to reveal the name) Massdrop Alex Cavalli Liquid Carbon X headphone amp
  • Custom cables made by ProAudioLA from Grimm TPR with Neutrik Gold Connectors (3-pin XLR L/R balanced inputs and a XLR balanced 4-pin output).
  • Waves Abby Road 3 plugin (brings the acoustic environment of the legendary control room to headphones)
  • SonarWorks custom headphone measurement plugin
I tried 4 other supurb sets of headphones with this exact setup and NOTHING compared to the Custom Cans headphones.
7-26-2020 UPDATE..I had to do the full monty upgrade: DT990s to DT1990 PROs; Balanced; Geshelli Labs ERISH Balanced Amp. Okay...END GAME. That's It. I've hit the pinnacle.

Attachments

• 1990s.jpg
    1990s.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Jul 3, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #43 of 244
New to the group as you see. Glad to see good write ups on Cable Cans. Just ordered a replacement cable for my Focal Elears. Looking forward to receiving the cable and starting to use it.

Jul 18, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #44 of 244
@jfunk - I'm looking for a more lightweight cable than the stock one on a Beyerdynamic T5p Gen 2. I found this page on your site where I can configure such a cable:

https://customcans.co.uk/s/s/index.php/cables/t1t5p-unbalanced-cable.html

I have several questions:

1. How will I know which colour is the left and which is the right channel? Could I specify this during the ordering process?

2. I need a cable that is not microphonic at all as it will be used when out walking. The stock T5p Gen 2 cable is very microphonic. Is the paracord wrap microphonic?

3. Do you have a photo of the 3.5mm recessed angled jack (for iPod)? I want to connect to an LG V30 phone and Cayin N6ii DAP and prefer right-angled device connectors.

4. If I were to order this weekend, when would delivery roughly be (I'm in the UK mainland)?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Jul 19, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #45 of 244
@jfunk

1. How will I know which colour is the left and which is the right channel? Could I specify this during the ordering process?

2. I need a cable that is not microphonic at all as it will be used when out walking. The stock T5p Gen 2 cable is very microphonic. Is the paracord wrap microphonic?

3. Do you have a photo of the 3.5mm recessed angled jack (for iPod)? I want to connect to an LG V30 phone and Cayin N6ii DAP and prefer right-angled device connectors.

4. If I were to order this weekend, when would delivery roughly be (I'm in the UK mainland)?

We normally mark the left with black shrink tubing but you can request other colours

They are designed not to be microphonic - the cable has a bit of stretch to it which allows it to soak up the vibrations more than most straight cables

Our technician is still working from home so I am not 100% sure what he has at the moment but I believe the only recessed angled 3.5 we use is this style.
EAU-37525-a.jpg

or the standard, non recessed one would be like this
4548.jpg

We have a queue of around 3 weeks at the moment

Users who are viewing this thread

Back