Custom Cans Impressions Thread.
Nov 6, 2019 at 7:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 244

Paul Graham

Member of the Trade: Mayflower Cables
I thought it was about time Custom Cans had their own thread.
I can only write so much as I write exclusively for a hifi magazine.
So I must be mindful of my boundaries.
However I don't see anything wrong in kick starting this thread off.

A UK based cable maker and headphone modifier.
I came across Custom Cans a little while ago when looking for a replacement cable for my HD25's.
After that great initial cable & a few "issues" with a different cable maker I decided to make the switch to the more reliable alternative.
Jason has not failed to deliver yet and he has now made me quite the job lot. I'll get some photo's up one of these days.
He is now in my top 3.

Please share your photos and so on of these awesome cans and cables.

Paul. :)

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #2 of 244
I like this shop also. They are a little slow with answering emails and sometimes not at all. It comes and goes. Anyway, they shipped my order very quickly and I am happy with the purchase. Would definitely recommend the shop. Especially for Sennheiser HD 25 cans and parts and advice, the shop is top notch.

I recently refurbed a pair of HD 25 aluminums with parts from custom cans including their house white pads. I posted crappy tablet pics here on head-fi. I'll eventually get better pics and update the thread.

I'm planning to buy some more cables and parts from custom cans next month. Happy new year everybody!

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2020 at 6:54 PM Post #3 of 244
Edit...

Will compose this properly and more in depth later on.
I thought it was about time Custom Cans had its own thread.
I can only write so much as I am a writer exclusively for a magazine so I have to be mindful of my boundaries.
However I don't see anything wrong in kick starting this thread off.

A UK based cable and headphone customiser.
I came across Custom Cans a little while ago.
After a few issues with a different cable maker I needed to look for a trustworthy alternative.
Jason has not failed to deliver!
He is now among my top 5.

Please share your photos and so on of these awesome cans and cables.

Paul. :)

You never elaborated further on this, Paul. I’d be interested in what your thoughts on the quality of the cables themselves are. This is one of the top results that shows up once CustomCans is Googled, and it would be valuable to have more detailed reflections for fellow enthusiasts, I feel.

Having had a hassle-free experience ordering a 2.5 to 4.4 mm balanced adapter from CustomCans, I’ve decided to put my money where my mouth is and order a balanced cable for my MrSpeakers headphones, this also terminating in a 4.4 mm connection.

I’ve not received them yet, but will be sure to post my impressions here once I have them.

Jan 4, 2020 at 8:16 PM Post #4 of 244
Well as I stated earlier I can't delve into this too much re my "contract" with the magazine I write for.
I wouldn't start up an impressions thread for no reason.
They are GOOD cables. Very well made. Great all round especially at their price point. And really good customer care, Which is equally as important as the product.

Paul :wink:

Jan 10, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #5 of 244
Just ordered a balanced cable for my new 800s and an HD 600 headpad which I'm gonna try to fit to my Fostex TRs. Stock Fostex headband is atrocious!

Feb 10, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #6 of 244
Jason hooked me up with a pair of their Beyerdynamic "Custom Cans Uber DT990 headphones with modified drivers and a detachable, balanced, 4-pin XLR litz cable," to go with my pro audio setup. I come from the music mixing/mastering world, so I was looking for something that had the power, air, dimension, dynamics, frequency range, and soundstage of studio monitors. The idea was to get them ruler flat and actually make them sound like I was working in a perfect studio room.
Here is the meat of how it was acheived:
  • Custom Cans modded Uber DT990 headphones
  • A Revive Audio Platinum Package mod for a Universal Audio interface.
  • A modded (permission not given to reveal the name) Massdrop Alex Cavalli Liquid Carbon X headphone amp
  • Custom cables made by ProAudioLA from Grimm TPR with Neutrik Gold Connectors (3-pin XLR L/R balanced inputs and a XLR balanced 4-pin output).
  • Waves Abby Road 3 plugin (brings the acoustic environment of the legendary control room to headphones)
  • SonarWorks custom headphone measurement plugin
I tried 4 other supurb sets of headphones with this exact setup and NOTHING compared to the Custom Cans headphones.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #8 of 244
How Long did you wait to get the cable? Burn in time? Thanks
It took about a month (build time + UK to US shipping). Burn in, hard to say...It sounded good immediately. It seems to sound better every time I use it, (this could all be in my head, but my ears are telling me so). I have about 100 hours on them now, and the depth and richness of the sound is crazy good. Granted, I upgraded several things at once, so it's really hard to attribute everything to one upgrade. I have attached the headphone cable to another set of headphones and it certainly improved the sound of them as well.

Feb 22, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #9 of 244
How Long did you wait to get the cable? Burn in time? Thanks

It seems to me for stuff they have in stock it goes out the same day. I think the first cable I ordered was shipped after 5 days, the second one after ten. Royal Mail from UK to here usually takes 3 or 4 days.

Not sure what you mean about burn in time.

Feb 22, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #10 of 244
It took about a month (build time + UK to US shipping). Burn in, hard to say...It sounded good immediately. It seems to sound better every time I use it, (this could all be in my head, but my ears are telling me so). I have about 100 hours on them now, and the depth and richness of the sound is crazy good. Granted, I upgraded several things at once, so it's really hard to attribute everything to one upgrade. I have attached the headphone cable to another set of headphones and it certainly improved the sound of them as well.
Thanks, I will order one for my HD800

Feb 22, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #11 of 244
It seems to me for stuff they have in stock it goes out the same day. I think the first cable I ordered was shipped after 5 days, the second one after ten. Royal Mail from UK to here usually takes 3 or 4 days.

Not sure what you mean about burn in time.
Thanks. many people say that cables, DACs, Amps .... Need time before they works/sounds best! That‘s burn in!
I will order a cable for my HD 800s

Feb 22, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #12 of 244
Thanks. many people say that cables, DACs, Amps .... Need time before they works/sounds best! That‘s burn in!
I will order a cable for my HD 800s

I know what burn in is. I just didn't understand the question related to my post.

I don't believe cables have sound and I don't believe solid state equipment burns in. I believe the brain becomes better at listening during some period.

For my view it makes sense to buy well-made cables of good materials. From that you can expect long service life of the cable.

Mar 15, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #14 of 244
Well as I stated earlier I can't delve into this too much re my "contract" with the magazine I write for.
I wouldn't start up an impressions thread for no reason.
They are GOOD cables. Very well made. Great all round especially at their price point. And really good customer care, Which is equally as important as the product.

Paul :wink:
IMG_2893.JPG

Received my 1.5 m Litz cable in Gun Grey from Jason yesterday. Replaces the stock cable which developed an untraceable break. Kaya and Jason took time to try to trace the break and trim it down but it really was untraceable. Cable sounds great with the HD 700's, lovely 'liquid' bass, good definition, deep black silence in between notes, detailed treble on cymbals and well defined 'feathering' on brushed drums. Quality item.

Mar 15, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #15 of 244
IMG_2893.JPG

Received my 1.5 m Litz cable in Gun Grey from Jason yesterday. Replaces the stock cable which developed an untraceable break. Kaya and Jason took time to try to trace the break and trim it down but it really was untraceable. Cable sounds great with the HD 700's, lovely 'liquid' bass, good definition, deep black silence in between notes, detailed treble on cymbals and well defined 'feathering' on brushed drums. Quality item.
That cable looks ace!
I will post up pictures of the 1770's once I have them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back