Custom Art FIBAE Black Announcement
Jan 26, 2019 at 4:56 AM Post #167 of 551
Don't know what your budget is, but I got myself a relatively new product, Spirit Torino Twin Pulse, and these are by far the best headphones I listened to (and I tried/owned quite a few). Sub-bass, bass, mids, highs, everything has its properly defined space, a truly linear response while maintaining great musical properties. Soundstage is huge (they're open back) and the positioning of the performers on stage is so precise, you perceive the movements in a live concert. In other words, this is the closest to a live performance (or to a recording) I ever experienced through headphones, and of course a crappy recording will immediately be apparent. Also, they are not exactly cheap but, to me at least, worth every penny!

Now they look cool...... Price though! Wow. Unfortunately I would need closed back. Currently using some denon AH-MM400, not bad. Fun easy listen but those slightly set back mids and bass boom on some tracks... .....Nice enough.

I was debating making another custom grado set for open back enjoyment..... Digressing a bit here.

Next purchase for me will be a nice new dap. Not sure where I'm going with that yet though.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2019 at 5:43 AM Post #168 of 551
Yeah, I know. Kills a Utopia though, IMHO

Honestly I am not a huge fan of the Utopia, and I have had the opportunity to listen to them on the Viva Egoista 845 tube amp so... right now the most impressive experience I have had with headphones is the HifiMan Susvara out of that same amp : natural sounding yet well extended, immersive and also great comfort...

(Let’s not go too much OT though).

Jan 26, 2019 at 6:14 AM Post #169 of 551
Now they look cool...... Price though! Wow. Unfortunately I would need closed back. Currently using some denon AH-MM400, not bad. Fun easy listen but those slightly set back mids and bass boom on some tracks... .....Nice enough.

I was debating making another custom grado set for open back enjoyment..... Digressing a bit here.

Next purchase for me will be a nice new dap. Not sure where I'm going with that yet though.
I had the MM400 a while back, not impressed, I was lucky to sell them well. I'm not much for closed back, so I would not know what to suggest that I have experienced myself, except perhaps the Even H1, at a ridiculously low price. I gave them to my daughter now, and she loves them.

As far a DAPs, I'm currently using a few but my favourite is the HiBy R6, amazing p/q ratio, and it would be well suited for the FIBAE Black since it has a rather high impedance but unnoticeable with the Black, I think, given the FIBAE technology (to stay on topic :wink:)

Jan 26, 2019 at 6:23 AM Post #170 of 551
Update:

Not an awfully detailed comment giving out too much about the sound yet, but let me just say this -- the BLACK literally begs for me to turn up the volume, and I can't help but oblige... that's where it performs its best. I can't be alone in this sentiment.

Aside from its inherently neutral-energy signature, it is indeed harder to drive than other IEMs.

Jan 26, 2019 at 8:43 AM Post #171 of 551
I had the MM400 a while back, not impressed, I was lucky to sell them well. I'm not much for closed back, so I would not know what to suggest that I have experienced myself, except perhaps the Even H1, at a ridiculously low price. I gave them to my daughter now, and she loves them.

As far a DAPs, I'm currently using a few but my favourite is the HiBy R6, amazing p/q ratio, and it would be well suited for the FIBAE Black since it has a rather high impedance but unnoticeable with the Black, I think, given the FIBAE technology (to stay on topic :wink:)

I'm using the r6 as my daily driver at work. Not a bad unit but the wifi is terrible. Just an fyi. If I had to do it again I would have gone with the ibasso dx150 (need full android for audiobooks support annoyingly). Just to keep this even more on topic, I use mine with my fibae 2's. :)

Jan 26, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #172 of 551
I'm using the r6 as my daily driver at work. Not a bad unit but the wifi is terrible. Just an fyi. If I had to do it again I would have gone with the ibasso dx150 (need full android for audiobooks support annoyingly). Just to keep this even more on topic, I use mine with my fibae 2's. :)
Funny you say that, I had the DX150 and switched to the R6 (Aluminum): form factor, weight and UI are much better, IMO. Admittedly, Wifi connectivity sucks. I'm pleased you confirm that FIBAE+R6 works, notwithstanding the impedance.

Jan 26, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #173 of 551
Ive been looking at the hiby R6 for a while now. That WiFi issue is putting me off as I stream tidal at work... a lot!
I'm not 100% convinced on the companies support of products tbh. Guess we'll see with the R6 Pro.

If the R6 Pro WiFi is rock solid, and with the few upgrades it seen over the R6. I'll probably pick that up later in the year.....

Anyway, back to it.....
I'm seriously enjoying the blacks. Amazing sound with all genres I listen to..... and that stock cable is really very nice :)

Jan 26, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #174 of 551
Ive been looking at the hiby R6 for a while now. That WiFi issue is putting me off as I stream tidal at work... a lot!
I'm not 100% convinced on the companies support of products tbh. Guess we'll see with the R6 Pro. If the R6 Pro WiFi is rock solid, and with the few upgrades it seen over the R6. I'll probably pick that up later in the year.....Anyway, back to it..... I'm seriously enjoying the blacks. Amazing sound with all genres I listen to..... and that stock cable is really very nice :)

Hiby R6 was a no no for me with the 10 ohm output impedance, R6 Pro is back to 0.28 ohm balanced not bad. So far I haven’t noticed any wifi issue with the R6 Pro even international pre-release but I have strong WiFi at home so need to try on weakest wifi. I’ll gladly provide some feedback on R6 Pro with the Black when I get them :D

Jan 26, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #175 of 551
Hiby R6 was a no no for me with the 10 ohm output impedance, R6 Pro is back to 0.28 ohm balanced not bad. So far I haven’t noticed any wifi issue with the R6 Pro even international pre-release but I have strong WiFi at home so need to try on weakest wifi. I’ll gladly provide some feedback on R6 Pro with the Black when I get them :D

That'd be great. Thanks :)

Wasn't aware the Pros were available yet.

(I thought high impedance would only effect multi BA drivers?)

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #176 of 551
That's be great. Thanks :)
Wasn't aware the Pros were available yet.
(I thought high impedance would only effect multi BA drivers?)

The Pro is not really available, I got a pre-release international version from HK so basically I am one of the lucky few :p

Jan 26, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #178 of 551
Not an awfully detailed comment giving out too much about the sound yet, but let me just say this -- the BLACK literally begs for me to turn up the volume, and I can't help but oblige... that's where it performs its best. I can't be alone in this sentiment.

Oh, kinda like Final E5000 in this sense then :)

That one also loved some volume :)

Jan 26, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #179 of 551
Aside from its inherently neutral-energy signature, it is indeed harder to drive than other IEMs.

Yeah, I noticed. However...

Oh, kinda like Final E5000 in this sense then :)

That one also loved some volume :)

The reason I dial it up is this. I want to turn it up because of the way the upper midrange presence 4-5khz is tuned, along with the treble's smoothness, similar to what I'd imagine the E5000 is like -- a warm-natural sounding IEM with softer treble (I have the E4000, haven't had the opportunity to try the 5000). Everything blends and layers together pleasantly. This is how I noted it down: "It really feels like all the instruments and vocals are melted together into a syrup of sound while absolutely nothing is lost (layering), but not exactly found either (separation)." Pinpointing individual instruments and vocals in the mix isn't as simple as it is with other IEMs, because the surrounding layers really work together simultaneously. I do not feel the Black is the most technically capable even in its price range, but I also don't feel that was CA's intent when selecting a 1-BA setup. What the Black does well is something I've been investigating for the past 12-hours, figuring out how to put it into words. I'm a sucker for crispy, airy treble -- Black is far, far and away from my personal preference, but it still sounds so good, and that's pretty weird. Looking to pin it down and cover it in its entirety soon.

Jan 26, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #180 of 551
Yeah, I noticed. However...

The reason I dial it up is this. I want to turn it up because of the way the upper midrange presence 4-5khz is tuned, along with the treble's smoothness, similar to what I'd imagine the E5000 is like -- a warm-natural sounding IEM with softer treble (I have the E4000, haven't had the opportunity to try the 5000). Everything blends and layers together pleasantly. This is how I noted it down: "It really feels like all the instruments and vocals are melted together into a syrup of sound while absolutely nothing is lost (layering), but not exactly found either (separation)." Pinpointing individual instruments and vocals in the mix isn't as simple as it is with other IEMs, because the surrounding layers really work together simultaneously. I do not feel the Black is the most technically capable even in its price range, but I also don't feel that was CA's intent when selecting a 1-BA setup. What the Black does well is something I've been investigating for the past 12-hours, figuring out how to put it into words. I'm a sucker for crispy, airy treble -- Black is far, far and away from my personal preference, but it still sounds so good, and that's pretty weird. Looking to pin it down and cover it in its entirety soon.

I believe it’s because of the Black’s stable, black background. It results in a more natural, refined sense of resolution, without the need for more treble. But of course, I used the word need rather than want for a reason. Subjectively, some may prefer a more crisp, open sound. But alas, YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back