Custom Art FIBAE 7 announcement & impressions thread
Sep 24, 2019 at 5:14 AM Post #197 of 749
Today I took the F7 at work with the AAW Capri lightning cable for my iPhone, it's a 24bit/96Khz DAC with balanced amplifier with a nice 128mW outpuit (16 Ohms) that does quite a fine job in my opinion (low output impedance <1 ohm). The SQ is quite stunning for a simple highly portable solution to listen directly from your phone when you don't want to carry the extra weight of a DAP. The Capri features a neutral warm signature and matches really well with the F7, if you have the need and a chance, a very nice cable to enjoy the F7 on the go :)

Image d’iOS (13).jpg

How about universal with silicone tips?

It's an interesting option but several audition I did of universal form factor with silicon tips were quite different from the "real thing", it affects the signature most of the time.

But my main gripe with silicon tips is that depending on how tight (or not tight) the coupling with the IEM stem is you have to take them off with your hands - and it's a bit awkward - because the natural sweat make them quite sticky in the conduit and over time even tight coupling wears off a bit so in the end if you need to take them off often it's a pain whereas true customs are not an issue.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #198 of 749
It's an interesting option but several audition I did of universal form factor with silicon tips were quite different from the "real thing", it affects the signature most of the time.

But my main gripe with silicon tips is that depending on how tight (or not tight) the coupling with the IEM stem is you have to take them off with your hands - and it's a bit awkward - because the natural sweat make them quite sticky in the conduit and over time even tight coupling wears off a bit so in the end if you need to take them off often it's a pain whereas true customs are not an issue.

I never had that issue, but did end up losing one. Not too bad to replace a comply or silicone tip, but adds up if you need to replace the custom ones :frowning2:

Sep 24, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #199 of 749
Tonight is battle of the titans :)

9AD50F67-8E2D-4398-AE86-DD8D7075B95A.jpeg

I have a full page of notes for the comparison to VE8 in the F7 review draft... 3 hours of switching from one to the other...

4B71CD01-4AA2-42B6-8C26-82B3D8CD6B66.jpeg

F6C9691D-6864-4BDC-B31D-2A9CF9A55625.jpeg

Next up will be the Phantom :)

Sep 25, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #203 of 749
BTW, I see in @akared review that F7 could be slightly bright? Anyone shares the same feeling? I really don't like bright IEMs and my bright bar might be lower than most people. For example, people often say QDC VX is neutral but to me they are slightly bright (?).

Sep 25, 2019 at 11:20 PM Post #204 of 749
BTW, I see in @akared review that F7 could be slightly bright? Anyone shares the same feeling? I really don't like bright IEMs and my bright bar might be lower than most people. For example, people often say QDC VX is neutral but to me they are slightly bright (?).

i do find QDC VX on the brighter side but will be nice to know where F7 stands. i am looking for a different signature and lighter iem than the Sony, F7 is tempting

Sep 26, 2019 at 12:23 AM Post #205 of 749
@jackyzhu the F7 is very natural sounding -- I wouldn't say that it is bright per say even though there is a hint of brightness (absolutely no sibilance nor does it sound piercing) in the notes in the midrange. There is absolutely no veil so the sound is opened. The extent of brightness, I would say, is similar to the andromeda (and I do not consider the andro bright) although the extension is much better in the treble region. My F7 is reshelled and is now custom and I do hear the presence of the highest of highs better than when is was universal (again, no sibilance to be detected here).

Sep 26, 2019 at 1:24 AM Post #206 of 749
@jackyzhu the F7 is very natural sounding -- I wouldn't say that it is bright per say even though there is a hint of brightness (absolutely no sibilance nor does it sound piercing) in the notes in the midrange. There is absolutely no veil so the sound is opened. The extent of brightness, I would say, is similar to the andromeda (and I do not consider the andro bright) although the extension is much better in the treble region. My F7 is reshelled and is now custom and I do hear the presence of the highest of highs better than when is was universal (again, no sibilance to be detected here).

Thanks for the clarification! F7 does sound to match my preference very well. Look forward to more reviews and comparisons.

Sep 26, 2019 at 2:02 AM Post #207 of 749
look forward to your comparison between F7 and VE8. I almost decided to get a pair of VE8 then I saw you sold your VE8 after getting the F7

Well my decision does not mean the VE8 is not as good as the FIBAE7, in fact it has the edge on resolution for instance. But the signature of the FIBAE7 matches my preferences better : better bass kick and sub extension, much fuller mids with rich textures and overtones, more lower treble energy. I haven’t converted my notes to fully articulated picture yet but I’ll work on it for the review.

I concur that the F7 is not bright, the mids are really balanced and full sounding, not harshness whatsoever in the upper mids and the treble section has great presence but it’s not making the F7 bright at all, it provides great balance with the slightly warm and very full mids and strong bass foundation. It doesn’t make it bright but it makes the F7 clear, articulate and open sounding which was important with the fullness of its presentation.

Sep 26, 2019 at 2:38 AM Post #208 of 749
Well my decision does not mean the VE8 is not as good as the FIBAE7, in fact it has the edge on resolution for instance. But the signature of the FIBAE7 matches my preferences better : better bass kick and sub extension, much fuller mids with rich textures and overtones, more lower treble energy. I haven’t converted my notes to fully articulated picture yet but I’ll work on it for the review.

I concur that the F7 is not bright, the mids are really balanced and full sounding, not harshness whatsoever in the upper mids and the treble section has great presence but it’s not making the F7 bright at all, it provides great balance with the slightly warm and very full mids and strong bass foundation. It doesn’t make it bright but it makes the F7 clear, articulate and open sounding which was important with the fullness of its presentation.

Many thanks David! Your description of F7 seems to perfectly match my preference!

Sep 26, 2019 at 3:44 AM Post #209 of 749
Sep 26, 2019 at 4:10 AM Post #210 of 749

If you are sensitive to upper-mids and treble, then there is a possibility that the F7 might be bright for you. VX and F7 are bright at different regions. VX has a pronounced lower treble, so it can sound sharp and harsh. F7 is bright in the upper-mids making it sound intense and cause fatigue over time. In a track where there is a vocal, F7 brings the vocal forward and puts it in the spotlight. VX doesn’t favor either vocals or instruments. But without a vocal in the track, for example with classical and orchestral genres, F7 and VX would have a kind of a similar presentation, with the F7 having a bit more body and weight in the mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back