Curry with rice is delicious
Mar 31, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #16 of 37
Curry and rice is delicious. In other news - pope catholic and bears defecate in the woodlands. 
wink.gif

In the UK curry (Indian curry especially) is something of an adopted national dish. I've tried the curries of pretty much every country that does them that I know of but for me Indians are the masters.

Apr 1, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #18 of 37
I used to cook with the curry in sold form like it is shown on the first post in this thread. I made curry with chicken and it was absolutely delicious. I'd make it more often if I had more time to do so.

Apr 2, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #19 of 37
Quote:
Tried but wasn't particularity impressed by the "powdered" curry flavor of the japanese curry. I've had Thai/indian style curries hundreds of times though, and currently work at a place where we make our own thai-style curry pastes from fresh ingredients. Needless to say the ready-made pastes don't stand a chance.

There should be a distinction made though between the differences of curries and their flavors. Indian style curries use turmeric, cumin and coriander (seeds?) whilst thai style curries use less cumin and coriander root, although this also varies on location. Japanese curries are based purely on the turmeric, cumin and coriander seed-flavored commercial "curry powder".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curry

I am happy to take Japanese/Chinese "curry" for what it is, but it's basically a crappy version of the crappy British version of the real thing from India.  "Curry" means so many different things in so many cuisines all over the world.  Even in just India there is a vast assortment of flavours across all the different regions.  Slathering generic "curry" powder sauce on some meat and rice does not do the word justice.

Apr 2, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #20 of 37
Quote:
I make this stuff on a weekly basis. I make it using chicken, and chicken broth instead of water. Included veggies are carrots, onions, potatoes, and green bell pepper (capsicum).

I cook chicken (1lb, cubed) with onion (1, large dice), salt, and pepper (to taste, aprx 1 tsp each). Then I add all the veggies (1 carrot, 1 pepper, equal amount of potatoes as chicken) and chicken broth (1 can), then add water until the potatoes are covered nicely and boil for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, I put the rice on (2cups w/ 3cups water or equivalent) (sticky rice is the only way to go on this, IMO). After potatoes are boiled, I put chunks of the bullion curry cubes until it reaches the desired consistency and serve with rice. Sometimes I add a splash of milk to add some richness, and I almost always put a splash of soy sauce to add color and saltiness. I like to compact as much rice as I can into half of a bowl and fill the other half of the bowl with curry. Obviously during the chicken cooking process, you can add whatever spices you choose to flavor the chicken pieces.

Try using coconut milk instead of regular milk, it add a really sweet flavor and is wonderfully exotic, you can usually find it in can form.

Quote:
Tried but wasn't particularity impressed by the "powdered" curry flavor of the japanese curry. I've had Thai/indian style curries hundreds of times though, and currently work at a place where we make our own thai-style curry pastes from fresh ingredients. Needless to say the ready-made pastes don't stand a chance.

There should be a distinction made though between the differences of curries and their flavors. Indian style curries use turmeric, cumin and coriander (seeds?) whilst thai style curries use less cumin and coriander root, although this also varies on location. Japanese curries are based purely on the turmeric, cumin and coriander seed-flavored commercial "curry powder".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curry

Basically, to me Japanese, Indian and Thai curries are different dishes, while I prefer the Thai version, I don't considerer the Japanase version as inferior, just a different dish for a different mood, just like I would sometimes choose a hamburger over a T-bone steak.

Apr 2, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #21 of 37
>Curry with rice is delicious

I have known this to be true since the age of at least four or five.

/advantages of being Asian

(Though, I didn't have a lot of Japanese-style curry, which is a lot thicker than the Vietnamese style [I'm Vietnamese]. At least, not until recently. There's this nice little Japanese restaurant near where I live now, literally a five minute walk away... its everything is delicious, though I prefer the beef curry to the chicken.)

-- Griffinhart

Apr 2, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #22 of 37

Quote:
>Curry with rice is delicious

I have known this to be true since the age of at least four or five.

/advantages of being Asian

Very true. Also, I like seeing when others (i.e., non-Asians) start getting into "new food" that have always been "regular food" to me. It's even more fun when you can make them try things that they normally wouldn't, like sashimi or unagi.

Apr 3, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #23 of 37
Phở. I love getting people into phở.

It's harder to get people into things like, say, hột vịt lộn (because of what it is) or xí muội (because of how strong it tastes).

Also, as a rule of thumb when it comes to sushi/sashimi, I tell people - "don't ask what it is. Just eat it, and then I'll tell you."

-- Griffinhart

Apr 3, 2011 at 6:23 AM Post #24 of 37
The same friends who introduced me to banh mi got me hooked on pho. Yum.

And, haha, after Googling, I know what hột vịt lộn is! But, I know it by a different name. I can't even get myself to eat that, which is unfortunate as I've heard it's pretty tasty.

Apr 3, 2011 at 6:54 AM Post #25 of 37
Mmm, banh mi. It's depressing that I don't know of any Lee's sandwich shops out where I live. :<

And yeah, hot vit lon is delicious. I only ever lost my appetite once, when the entire duckling tumbled out (I was four, and four year-olds aren't know for their manual dexterity, so I had the aid of a bowl; ever since seven-ish I can just use the egg on its own).

I don't like the white too much, tends too be on the rubbery-crunchy side and that's just too much work for me.

-- Griffinhart

Apr 3, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #26 of 37
I get the premade ones that you heat up, if I had more time I'd make it myself.  I prefer it a it's not as strong

Apr 4, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #27 of 37
Just had chicken curry on rice for lunch and my tastebuds are thanking me. It was a mild Japanese curry but I like the hot curry as well. Indian curry has a lot more kick to it. I even start sweating when I'm eating it.

Apr 4, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #28 of 37
My parents were born in India and immigrated to the US. I have lived with them all my life and even spent 5 years in India with my Mom and my sister. I know curry all to well, but one thing I've never been able to deal with is curry & rice!

Apr 5, 2011 at 7:05 AM Post #29 of 37
Why is everyone talking about it as 'Curry'. Were all aware of the massive variations available arent we? Its like saying I love pie, i had pie for tea it was awesome, pie and potato is wonderful. Why dont we discuss a few specifics. One of my favourites is Dupiaza (spelling varies depending on where you find it) which is made with lots of onion. I have it with either Chicken, Lamb or Mutton.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back